• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Iraqi president hits back at Trump over US army presence

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Iraqi president hits back at Trump over US army presence

1729-004-AC685C4D.jpg

2/4/19
Iraq's president hit back at Donald Trump Monday for saying U.S. troops should stay in Iraq to keep an eye on neighboring Iran, saying the U.S. leader did not ask for Iraq's permission to do so. "We find these comments strange," said Barham Salih, speaking at a forum in Baghdad. Trump's comments added to concerns in Iraq about America's long-term intentions, particularly after it withdraws its troops from Syria. Trump has angered Iraqi politicians and Iranian-backed factions by arguing he would keep U.S. troops in Iraq and use it as a base to strike Islamic State group targets inside Syria as needed. "He didn't ask Iraq about this," Salih said Monday. He said U.S. troops were in Iraq as part of an agreement between the two countries with a specific mission of assisting in the fight against the Islamic State group and combating "terrorism." He said the Iraqi constitution forbids the use of Iraq as a base to threaten the interests or security of neighboring countries. "Don't overburden Iraq with your own issues," he added. In the CBS interview, Trump said the U.S. has an "incredible base" in Iraq that he intends to keep, "because I want to be able to watch Iran." "We spent a fortune on building this incredible base," Trump said. "We might as well keep it. And one of the reasons I want to keep it is because I want to be looking a little bit at Iran because Iran is a real problem." Trump has said he has no plans to withdraw the 5,200 troops in Iraq, which he says could carry out U.S. airstrikes inside Syria after American troops withdraw from that country.

Now, after defeating IS militants in their last urban bastions, Iraqi politicians and militia leaders are increasingly speaking out against the continued presence of U.S. forces on Iraqi soil. Earlier this month, the leader of one of Iraq's most powerful Iranian-backed Shiite militias told The Associated Press in an interview that he expects a vote in the coming months by Iraq's parliament calling for the withdrawal of U.S. troops. Qais al-Khazali, head of Asaib Ahl al-Haq, or League of the Righteous, also suggested U.S. troops may eventually be driven out by force if they do not yield to the will of the Iraqi people. Former Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi also weighed in on Monday, saying Iraqi sovereignty must be respected and its interests should not be compromised. "Iraq should not be used as a spring board to attack its neighbors. We are not proxies in conflicts outside the interests of our nation," he wrote in a Twitter post.

Again, Trump inserts foot in mouth.

Wat u talkin bout? We're AMERICA dammit! We go WHEREVER WE DAMN WELL PLEASE! AMERICA **** YEAH! COMIN AGAIN TO SAVE THE MUTHA****IN DAY YEAH!

giphy.gif

If it is not foreign policy via Twitter, it is staying something monumentally stupid in an interview. In one comment he managed to irritate Iran, Iraq, and several others around the region.

I once met someone that was majoring in Diplomacy (at some fancy pants private Euro school).

Now I get why the degree exists.

Trump ASSERTS US PRIORITIES, is more like it.

Oh look!! More from the TDs left, sreaming to high heaven when he says he will remove troops from Syria, now bitching because he is keeping them in Iraq, as a safety measure for the entire region including Syria.

The "president of Iraq"..saying "We find these (statements) strange"...is HARDLY "HITTING BACK"...= MORE FAKE NEWS NONSENSE.

Trump ASSERTS US PRIORITIES, is more like it.

Oh look!! More from the TDs left, sreaming to high heaven when he says he will remove troops from Syria, now bitching because he is keeping them in Iraq, as a safety measure for the entire region including Syria.

The "president of Iraq"..saying "We find these (statements) strange"...is HARDLY "HITTING BACK"...= MORE FAKE NEWS NONSENSE.

How does one sream?

Hot dam y'all, an swar. Ya' don't suppose the Iraqis took it personal that we casued the death of a million or so of their citizens and made refugees of another 4 million, do ya'? Why, they's beaucoup NGOs publishing minimum casualty figures and they just needs to choose the CIAs preferred fantasies. Prolly only Abdullabob and his cousin the only real casualties. Why would they want us out of their Nation? The OIL's not gone yet.
\/

Hot dam y'all, an swar. Ya' don't suppose the Iraqis took it personal that we casued the death of a million or so of their citizens and made refugees of another 4 million, do ya'? Why, they's beaucoup NGOs publishing minimum casualty figures and they just needs to choose the CIAs preferred fantasies. Prolly only Abdullabob and his cousin the only real casualties. Why would they want us out of their Nation? The OIL's not gone yet.
\/

They just don't appreciate all of the effort we've put into their country. Go figure.

On the other hand, why do we care what they think? We conquered their country, so it's ours now to do with as we please, isn't it? At least, that's how the Iraqis must see our policies.

Wat u talkin bout? We're AMERICA dammit! We go WHEREVER WE DAMN WELL PLEASE! AMERICA **** YEAH! COMIN AGAIN TO SAVE THE MUTHA****IN DAY YEAH!

giphy.gif

So, you support Trump pulling troops out of Afghanistan and Syria? I agree. The intel community hasn't got a great record when it comes to the ME. What, with the "Iraq's WMD's, 9/11 and so on. I think I'd ask for some actionable intel before I would take it at face value. Then there was the COINTELPRO back in the 60's.....oh, that was the FBI, sorry. Anyway, I'm with you on the "Police department of the world" thing. We need to but out of a lot of those places. They hate us anyway. :peace

Awww...

Trump hurt some Iraqi feelings by talking about reality. Now Salih has to say something against Trump so his own people don't get all pissy.

Thing is, though, Iraq needs the US more than the US needs Iraq.

Don't worry, Kushner will go over there...smooth some ruffled feathers...and everything will be okay.

That's diplomacy, folks.

The intel community hasn't got a great record when it comes to the ME.

Trump has NO record when it comes to the ME. Snap. Plumb forgot! He did look the other way when Jamal Khashoggi was dismembered in the Saudi Embassy in Ankara.

And did Trump appoint nincompoops with his appointments of Gina Haspel (CIA) and Dan Coats (DNI)?

This clown talks himself in so many circles.

ISIS is defeated!
Actually, it's not, but will be soon and then we'll leave!
But we need troops in Iraq to be able to bomb ISIS!
ISIS is defeated!

Or:
You violated an NDA so I'll sue you!
What you said was completely made up (and therefore could not logically have disclosed anything)!

....and so it goes....

Trump has NO record when it comes to the ME. Snap. Plumb forgot! He did look the other way when Jamal Khashoggi was dismembered in the Saudi Embassy in Ankara.

And did Trump appoint nincompoops with his appointments of Gina Haspel (CIA) and Dan Coats (DNI)?

Other than CRUSHED ISIS, and re-established a US footprint there, BIGTIME.

Notice OBAMA IN CHARGE...vs TRUMP IN CHARGE:

ISIS area.jpg

Who gives a **** about the islamists KILLING EACH OTHER?

I'm surprised Trump didn't also tell the Iraqi's he's going to take their oil because, well.... just because.

Lol. What a humongous pud.

Awww...

Trump hurt some Iraqi feelings by talking about reality. Now Salih has to say something against Trump so his own people don't get all pissy.

Thing is, though, Iraq needs the US more than the US needs Iraq.

Don't worry, Kushner will go over there...smooth some ruffled feathers...and everything will be okay.

That's diplomacy, folks.

Yup; that's the only reason. Got to keep the illusion alive.

This clown talks himself in so many circles.

ISIS is defeated!
ISIS is defeated!

Yup. The logic of a toddler. All he needs is a highchair and a bib.

Presidents don't always agree with their IC. Obama disagreed with his DIA director's assessment of the Syria situation. In that case he should have listened to him .

Baby Bush followed his IC blindly. He shouldn't have.

Now Trump disagrees with his IC. He wants to pull troops out of Syria and Afghanistan. He feels Iran is the most serious terror threat in the ME.

So...…...you're saying you disagree with his ME policy because of the Khashoggi incident? I think the whole IC address to the congress is being mischaracterized. The IC gives a report on their intel to the CIC. The CIC, meets with advisors and decides what he believes is the best way to address each situation. Now you may disagree with it. I can tell you I disagree with pulling out the troops, and I certainly disagree with insulting his intelligence officers the way that he did. And I disagree with MOST of his childish insults and nicknames. It's really to bad that he has some good conservative policies, but puts them in a bad light with stupid statements and childish petty grudges. I think the worst part of his presidency, is that no other political outsider will want to run for president. To bad.:(

He needs to SHUT THE **** UP...before Pres.Trump, he was OVERRUN by "Obama's 'JV' " ..the TRUMPOPO CAME TO TOWN :

View attachment 67249755

Isis was already getting beat before trump was president. You guys are such authoritarians, you aren’t even hiding it anymore.

Isis was already getting beat before trump was president. You guys are such authoritarians, you aren’t even hiding it anymore.

Not even REMOTELY close to what happened after he replaced former Pres."ISIS is the JV": "Red Line in the Sand" Mommy Pants..as the WORLD KNOWS.

Not even REMOTELY close to what happened after he replaced former Pres."ISIS is the JV": "Red Line in the Sand" Mommy Pants..as the WORLD KNOWS.

Even your map shows isis on the downfall before trump. Now you are just being dishonest. So you’re comments are both authoritarian and dishonest, go figure.

\/

China won the war in Iraq which I'd expect would please you to no end.

CCP Boys of Beijing are drilling and extracting oil from Baghdad to Basra and the SA border unmolested by any terrorist group, shipping oil to China. The government in Baghdad is laughing all the way to the bank. Moscow gets their cut as does Tehran.

Iraq are Shia brethren now with Iran and the ayatollahs. Neighbors Syria and Iran are kissing Putin's ring. Assad has already said China will rebuild Syria. And just to keep you up nights, Bolton and Trump with the complete commitment of Pentagon are zeroed in on Iran.

Pentagon has been obsessed about Iran since the end of WWII and throughout the cold war to the present. Pentagon sees Iran as the key to the entire region and Pentagon is right. Mattis opposed going into Iran full scale but I'd never seen him struggle so much over a major issue as this one. The new SecDef Shanahan will go with the flow which is into Iran. Pentagon wants this base, Trump agrees, while Baghdad, Tehran, Moscow, Beijing are opposed and want the US out. And we know which side of this line you are on.

giphy.gif

Why were you not belly aching on here after Obama broke his campaign promise to have troops out of Iraq/Afghanistan within 11-12 months of his presidency?

Back
Top Bottom