• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Iraqi Leaders Want the US to Go!

GarzaUK

British, Irish and everything in-between.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051122/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq_conference

Iraqi Leaders Call for Pullout Timetable

CAIRO, Egypt - Reaching out to the Sunni Arab community, Iraqi leaders called for a timetable for the withdrawal of U.S.-led forces and said Iraq's opposition had a "legitimate right" of resistance.

The communique — finalized by Shiite, Kurdish and Sunni leaders Monday — condemned terrorism but was a clear acknowledgment of the Sunni position that insurgents should not be labeled as terrorists if their operations do not target innocent civilians or institutions designed to provide for the welfare of Iraqi citizens.

The leaders agreed on "calling for the withdrawal of foreign troops according to a timetable, through putting in place an immediate national program to rebuild the armed forces ... control the borders and the security situation" and end terror attacks.

Right, they are calling for a timetable. Its twice as bad when the people we are trying to help ask us to leave and then we get the same response back home.

-"insurgents should not be labeled as terrorists if their operations do not target innocent civilians or institutions designed to provide for the welfare of Iraqi citizens.-Yahoo News 22/Nov/05

The thing that gets me is their definition of a terrorist. To paraphrase, they said anyone who attacks a civilian target a terrorist. If someone blows up an American military target, then they are not terrorists.

They are making it more and more clear how they feel about being liberated.

Last edited:
ddoyle00 said:
Right, they are calling for a timetable. Its twice as bad when the people we are trying to help ask us to leave and then we get the same response back home.

-"insurgents should not be labeled as terrorists if their operations do not target innocent civilians or institutions designed to provide for the welfare of Iraqi citizens.-Yahoo News 22/Nov/05

The thing that gets me is their definition of a terrorist. To paraphrase, they said anyone who attacks a civilian target a terrorist. If someone blows up an American military target, then they are not terrorists.

They are making it more and more clear how they feel about being liberated.
If Iraqi officials really want a time table on pull out, I think it is a good sign that things are going great. We should give them a time table (not publicly) and leave when they want us to. I think this is great news.

Do you think the White House could take that bruise to their ego? By leaving when the Iraq's say to leave, it makes them look less in control. I dont think the White House will let the troops go until they feel satisfied the Iraq's can take control themselves.
Maybe thats a good idea though. If anything goes wrong down the road, we can say "Hey, they said they were ready and we pulled out". That would give them a decent coating of teflon if they need it.

This came from the Arab League, not the Iraqi government, and it came from Cairo, not Baghdad.

As such, it doesnt really mean much.

GarzaUK said:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051122/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq_conference

Iraqi Leaders Call for Pullout Timetable

CAIRO, Egypt - Reaching out to the Sunni Arab community, Iraqi leaders called for a timetable for the withdrawal of U.S.-led forces and said Iraq's opposition had a "legitimate right" of resistance.

The communique — finalized by Shiite, Kurdish and Sunni leaders Monday — condemned terrorism but was a clear acknowledgment of the Sunni position that insurgents should not be labeled as terrorists if their operations do not target innocent civilians or institutions designed to provide for the welfare of Iraqi citizens.

The leaders agreed on "calling for the withdrawal of foreign troops according to a timetable, through putting in place an immediate national program to rebuild the armed forces ... control the borders and the security situation" and end terror attacks.

The story asks for a timetable, but your headline says they "want us to go." Which is it, Garza? :confused:

M14 Shooter said:
This came from the Arab League, not the Iraqi government, and it came from Cairo, not Baghdad.

As such, it doesnt really mean much.

The preparatory reconciliation conference, held under the auspices of the Arab League, was attended by Iraqi President Jalal Talabani and Iraqi Shiite and Kurdish lawmakers as well as leading Sunni politicians.

It was a preliminary talk, the first step. A move to reunite their country and take control and leadership.

Maybe the meeting was held in Cairo in order to remove themselves from the chaos in Baghdad. Would it have been any different if the meeting was held in Washington, D.C.?

You don't want the Iraqs to succeed in the reclamation of their own country?

BWG said:

Neocons wear blinders to shield themselves from every opinion except their own.

Of course they don't want Iraqies to succeed.:(

BWG said:
It was a preliminary talk, the first step. A move to reunite their country and take control and leadership.
Yes... and it wasnt an official statement of the position of the Iraqi government - as it was made by the Arab league, not the Iraqi government.

Maybe the meeting was held in Cairo in order to remove themselves from the chaos in Baghdad. Would it have been any different if the meeting was held in Washington, D.C.?
The point is that the statement didnt come from the government of Iraqm but an outside party in an a place outside Iraq.

Of course I do.
I reject your premise, however, that this statement has anything to do with much of anyything -- is it a surpise that the Arab League -- primarily Sunni Muslims -- want the US to leave Iraq sooner rather than later?

Last edited:
MORONS of the site, hear me....

What has occurred with regards to the Iraqi government's request...is more important than you obviously seem to know. While using this event to parade your partisan garbage about, use you intelligence (or pretend to) to see what has occurred. I'm sure some of you need help with this, so I will be back on tonight (time permitting) to explain through commentary, why this request was important to all involved. ...and yes, it involves this "War on Terror," which implies our security, Iraqi ties, the Muslim Middle Eastern region, and our future pull out.

This is better news than you think and this was an event that we have been waiting for.

Last edited:
This is good news, I have been waiting with much anticipation for this day to come, and now it has, bravo troops, bravo people of Iraq!

I believe there is much more work to do, and the violence will not end anytime soon, but they have at least 80 percent of the country on board, that will defeat any insurgency with time. I hope that this percentage rises everyday, and I think it will, and the troops can no longer be blamed for that violence. We can take much pride in the sacrifice this country has made to make the world a better place, I hope we will do that, and not turn this in to anything but what it is, a great start to democracy in the M.E.

Last edited:
This is a laugh. Are you kidding? The Bush administration avoids putting a timetable for pull out saying it makes us look bad, or weak, or some other lame excuse. And now they’re asking for one. Give to them.
The only way we will know if they are ready to defend their own freedom is if they are given a chance to.

YNKYH8R said:
This is a laugh. Are you kidding? The Bush administration avoids putting a timetable for pull out saying it makes us look bad, or weak, or some other lame excuse. And now they’re asking for one. Give to them.
The only way we will know if they are ready to defend their own freedom is if they are given a chance to.

Leaving before the Iraqis can take care of themselves only invites disaster.
That point will only be determined by events, not a timetable.

That's why this coming year they should start scaling back and let the Iraqis take the helm. Let them do they're own security let them do their own sweep and kill moves. Give'm a chance.

YNKYH8R said:
That's why this coming year they should start scaling back and let the Iraqis take the helm. Let them do they're own security let them do their own sweep and kill moves. Give'm a chance.

More and more, thats what they've been doing.

Yes, but the administration has been quite vague on just what it wants to do more. Does it…
A) Want to get Iraq back on its feet?
B) Want to defeat the terrorist threat?
One will come quicker than the other, and I’ll betcha that some people feel that if we have little to no presence in Iraq or at least the Middle East we’ll look weak or like we’re not doing anything.
There should have been a plan. If there was one is one it isn’t being executed properly. Personally the “war on terror” IMO is kind of delusional.

YNKYH8R said:
Yes, but the administration has been quite vague on just what it wants to do more. Does it…
One will come quicker than the other, and I’ll betcha that some people feel that if we have little to no presence in Iraq or at least the Middle East we’ll look weak or like we’re not doing anything.
There should have been a plan. If there was one is one it isn’t being executed properly. Personally the “war on terror” IMO is kind of delusional.

Regaurdless. You have to wait and make sure that there forces are ready to take over the helm as you say. And this is exactly what has been going on there. They are being trained and equiped to hadle tere ow country security needs. And when they meet that point we will then proceed with a slow calculated withdraw. If we smash and dash we are going to end up back again in 2 years.

Iraq as a stable democratic goverment is a definet defeat for terrorist. I think you wil find a lot of young muslims that given the chance will prefer to have a say in tere own lives as opposed to being told to strap on a martry vest and run into the middle of a group of children

Calm2Chaos said:
Regaurdless. You have to wait and make sure that there forces are ready to take over the helm as you say. And this is exactly what has been going on there. They are being trained and equiped to hadle tere ow country security needs. And when they meet that point we will then proceed with a slow calculated withdraw. If we smash and dash we are going to end up back again in 2 years.

Iraq as a stable democratic goverment is a definet defeat for terrorist. I think you wil find a lot of young muslims that given the chance will prefer to have a say in tere own lives as opposed to being told to strap on a martry vest and run into the middle of a group of children
I agree we need to get out bottom line....but will we?
After the cold war is over who do we pick on then?

YNKYH8R said:
I agree we need to get out bottom line....but will we?
After the cold war is over who do we pick on then?

I think we'll have plenty of willing participants. Syria, Iran, N. Korea... just to name a few. After there all gone, well then I guess we can start ****ing with canada for kicks

YNKYH8R said:

These are not mutually exclusive and can be achieved concurrently.

M14 Shooter said:
These are not mutually exclusive and can be achieved concurrently.
Wait a minute you mean you actually think we can win a war on terror?

YNKYH8R said:

Wait a minute - you actually think we can't?!?!

M14 Shooter said:
Okay okay...humor me; how are we going to win the war on terrorism?

YNKYH8R said:

Originally Posted by YNKYH8R

the "war on terror" is just like the "war on drugs" and war on "poverty." It's idealistic bullshit. Now if you are talking of the war against Islamic extremism and minimizing its hold on the mid-east region, then yes it may be possible.

YNKYH8R said:

Thats simple - in concept anyway-
You remove the appeal that terrorism offer to those that would become terrorists.

The first, best way for that to happen is for people to live in open, liberal, capitalist democracies -- because free, prosperous people dont blow themselves up in school busses.

Oh, there will -always- be some disaffected invidiuals that think the way to get what they want is to kill innocent people, but you dont have to eliminate ALL of these people to win the fight against terrorism.

Back
Top Bottom