• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Iraqi General - WMD were moved to Syria

GySgt said:
We did know about the Hamas victory. It was predicted. There was just nothing that could be done about it, but you are right....the world is a mess.

Sorry Gunny... you're the ONLY person that I have heard say that!

The fact is that once again our intel failed us and the Bush admin was caught completely flatfooted on this one.

Well, Madeline, some of it's off the record, but clearly, the administration is concerned, surprised, surprised I think also by the extent of the Hamas victory, and the idea is that they wanted to make it clear, and I think they have been sending out signals to members of the quartet already that there is no such thing as a government that comes in with a terrorist agenda and comes in with guns armed for some of sort of attack.

http://www.npr.org/programs/day/transcripts/2006/jan/060127.williams.html

"The way ahead appears bumpy and uncertain, but despite its chagrin at the jolting triumph of Hamas in Palestinian parliamentary elections, the Bush administration will apparently continue to fumble for a formula to bring peace to the Middle East."

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1566366/posts

MikeT said:
Sorry Gunny... you're the ONLY person that I have heard say that!

The fact is that once again our intel failed us and the Bush admin was caught completely flatfooted on this one.

Well, Madeline, some of it's off the record, but clearly, the administration is concerned, surprised, surprised I think also by the extent of the Hamas victory, and the idea is that they wanted to make it clear, and I think they have been sending out signals to members of the quartet already that there is no such thing as a government that comes in with a terrorist agenda and comes in with guns armed for some of sort of attack.

http://www.npr.org/programs/day/transcripts/2006/jan/060127.williams.html

"The way ahead appears bumpy and uncertain, but despite its chagrin at the jolting triumph of Hamas in Palestinian parliamentary elections, the Bush administration will apparently continue to fumble for a formula to bring peace to the Middle East."

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1566366/posts

The facts are that TV and newspapers rarely paint the picture.

Expound upon your information base. Nobody in Israel was surprised at the Hammas winning...the papers had been predicting it for several weeks.) Our Intel and CIA reports showed a huge support for Hamas before the elections. This was only a surprise in the publics eyes.

Last edited:
GySgt said:
The facts are that TV and newspapers rarely paint the picture.

Expound upon your information base. Nobody in Israel was surprised at the Hammas winning...the papers had been predicting it for several weeks.) Our Intel and CIA reports showed a huge support for Hamas before the elections. This was only a surprise in the publics eyes.

Well then Gunny perhaps what we need is for someone to break down the intell reports to about a thrid grade level so that the administration officials can understand it... because they were not aware that Hamas was going to win. Even most of the world's dipomatic corps has voiced surprise not only of the victory but of the margin of the victory... the kind of margin that Boobie Bush can only dream about!

MikeT said:

You have got to be kidding. We can't predict elections inside of the United States. This is not an intelligence issue despite how much the ABB crowd want to beat this particular drum.

MikeT said:
Well then Gunny perhaps what we need is for someone to break down the intell reports to about a thrid grade level so that the administration officials can understand it... because they were not aware that Hamas was going to win. Even most of the world's dipomatic corps has voiced surprise not only of the victory but of the margin of the victory... the kind of margin that Boobie Bush can only dream about!

That's what they "said." It doesn't mean it is what they believed. I can't comment on why the Administration acted surprised. The only thing they would have been surprised about was the margin of victory. There is no way they didn't know of the probably victory when so many others did.

The administration has "mislead" the public from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom