• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Iraq war justified???

Do you think the war in Iraq was justified?

• Yes

Votes: 16 37.2%
  • No

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 5 11.6%

• Total voters
Navy Pride said:
When are you going to wake up and smell the roses.........The Downing Street memos have been discredited long ago..........

Not that I doubt you, but... could you show me a source? I hadn't heard that, and I've mentioned the memos many times to many people in Real Life.

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
He was training thousands of Islamic Terrorists within his borders regardless of whether or not he had WMD he was a threat you don't need a nuclear weapon to create mass destruction all you need is a fully fueled 727 as was made abundantly clear on 9-11, any country who harbors terrorists should be considered a terrorist state!

I support the war only if there is a realistic and executable plan for post-war reconstruction.

If this is your justification for the war in Iraq, then why didn't we invade Saudi Arabia or Egypt. Both countries harbor terrorists, and the last I check, all the 9/11 terrorists were from those two countries. How many were from Iraq?

Stupiderthanthou said:
But it suggests that he does not. As do the Downing Street Memos. Burden of proof falls on those arguing that he had them, no? Because that was the major justification for the war. Besides... if that claim had not been made, the majority of Americans probably would not have supported the use of force, surely?

We got a live one here folks. The DSM? Lmfao you mean the DSM forgery?

Cremaster77 said:
I support the war only if there is a realistic and executable plan for post-war reconstruction.

If this is your justification for the war in Iraq, then why didn't we invade Saudi Arabia or Egypt. Both countries harbor terrorists, and the last I check, all the 9/11 terrorists were from those two countries. How many were from Iraq?

Saudi Arabia and Egypt have officially declared war on Islamic terrorism Saudi Arabia has a hit out on O.B.L. they do not train terrorists but Saddam did that was his policy.

Stupiderthanthou said:
Not that I doubt you, but... could you show me a source? I hadn't heard that, and I've mentioned the memos many times to many people in Real Life.

Do you really think that if the Downing Street memo was creditable that President Bush would still be in the White House?

Cremaster77 said:

That is and easy one..........Saudi Arabia did bot invade their neighbot or violate 17 UN resolutions.......

Navy Pride said:
Do you really think that if the Downing Street memo was creditable that President Bush would still be in the White House?

That's your reasoning? He refuses to address it despite a petition signed by hundreds of thousands of U.S. citizens and dozens of Congressmen. Flat-out ignores it. If it were not credible, would he not just deny it? Would he not explain the decision to go to war, well and truly? Does the president like keeping the American people in ignorance?

And Trajan... prove to me it's a fake, if you would, please. If you're so secure in your belief, could you justify it when you're done laughing at me? I'd be forever grateful.

Stupiderthanthou said:
That's your reasoning? He refuses to address it despite a petition signed by hundreds of thousands of U.S. citizens and dozens of Congressmen. Flat-out ignores it. If it were not credible, would he not just deny it? Would he not explain the decision to go to war, well and truly? Does the president like keeping the American people in ignorance?

And Trajan... prove to me it's a fake, if you would, please. If you're so secure in your belief, could you justify it when you're done laughing at me? I'd be forever grateful.

LMFAO I've got a memo here that proves that Bill Clinton was playing golf with O.B.L. on the morning of 9-11 the only problem is is that I got it from an anonomous source, I made copies of it and returned the original, then I retyped the copies on a typrewriter and then burned the copies. Does that sound plausible to you?

LMFAO I've got a memo here that proves that Bill Clinton was playing golf with O.B.L. on the morning of 9-11 the only problem is is that I got it from an anonomous source, I made copies of it and returned the original, then I retyped the copies on a typrewriter and then burned the copies. Does that sound plausible to you?

Let me see the text.

As I understand that, there is no doubt about the memo's authenticity. The president refuses to deny it, and the thing was sent to a number of U.K. ministers as it was meant to be. Not just the press. If it was a fake, why haven't those accused taken the obvious step of poking holes through the thing? It's not because they thing they ought not to dignify it with recognition. Not with massive petitions and protesting Congressmen. So please, explain. If I understand you correctly, you reject it only because its claims seem too outrageous to you. That hardly seems responsible.

Stupiderthanthou said:

If the Downing Memo was not a fraud and President Bush took us to war because of a lie then he should be impeached..................Why do you think that has not happened if that memo was so creditable?:confused:

What petition are you talking about? One from moveon.org and George Soros......Now that is really and unbiased organiztion.......

Stupiderthanthou said:
Let me see the text.

As I understand that, there is no doubt about the memo's authenticity. The president refuses to deny it, and the thing was sent to a number of U.K. ministers as it was meant to be. Not just the press. If it was a fake, why haven't those accused taken the obvious step of poking holes through the thing? It's not because they thing they ought not to dignify it with recognition. Not with massive petitions and protesting Congressmen. So please, explain. If I understand you correctly, you reject it only because its claims seem too outrageous to you. That hardly seems responsible.

How do you claim that there is no question to the authenticity of the memo when I just explained to you what it was the reporter who broke the story claims that he made copies of a memo that he got from an anonomous source, returned the original, retyped the copies, and then burned the copies. Use your brain this story doesn't hold water and the memo is an obvious forgery.

Navy Pride said:
If the Downing Memo was not a fraud and President Bush took us to war because of a lie then he should be impeached..................Why do you think that has not happened if that memo was so creditable?:confused:

What petition are you talking about? One from moveon.org and George Soros......Now that is really and unbiased organiztion.......

Because many people are in denial. Because most people have never heard of it. Because Congressmen are afraid to put their heads on the chopping block without the support they are still in the process of gathering. Because the re-typed copy is inadmissable in court. Because the U.S. press inexplicably largely ignores the memo, as it has from the moment it was released. For a thousand small reasons. Are you saying that because our president has not yet been impeached, any justifications for his impeachment are null and void? That doesn't quite make sense to me. The prosecution gathers all the evidence it needs to skewer a criminal before seeking a warrant, right? This is no different, I think.

And the petition I was speaking of, while moveon.org may champion it, was begun by the Representative with second greatest seniority in the House (John Conyers of Michigan) as part of an informal Congressional inquiry following the Bush administration's refusal to address the memo.

Stupiderthanthou said:
Because many people are in denial. Because most people have never heard of it. Because Congressmen are afraid to put their heads on the chopping block without the support they are still in the process of gathering. Because the re-typed copy is inadmissable in court. Because the U.S. press inexplicably largely ignores the memo, as it has from the moment it was released. For a thousand small reasons. Are you saying that because our president has not yet been impeached, any justifications for his impeachment are null and void? That doesn't quite make sense to me. The prosecution gathers all the evidence it needs to skewer a criminal before seeking a warrant, right? This is no different, I think.

And the petition I was speaking of, while moveon.org may champion it, was begun by the Representative with second greatest seniority in the House (John Conyers of Michigan) as part of an informal Congressional inquiry following the Bush administration's refusal to address the memo.

Conyers is one of the biggest Bush haters in the Congress..........There were dems like him calling for Bush impeachment the day he was elected..Its called partisan politics my friend,

I can tell you that if that memo was legit the liberal media in this country would be all over it like white on rice and calling for impeachment as they did during the Nixon years......................I would probably join them......

How do you claim that there is no question to the authenticity of the memo when I just explained to you what it was the reporter who broke the story claims that he made copies of a memo that he got from an anonomous source, returned the original, retyped the copies, and then burned the copies. Use your brain this story doesn't hold water and the memo is an obvious forgery.

Logical explanation: to protect the source. Tony Blair has admitted that the memo is real, having said that the "memorandum was written before we then went to the United Nations." Not one single U.S. or U.K. official- to my knowledge- has denied the authenticity of the thing. How do you claim there is question as to the authenticity?

Last edited:
Navy Pride said:
Conyers is one of the biggest Bush haters in the Congress..........There were dems like him calling for Bush impeachment the day he was elected..Its called partisan politics my friend,

I can tell you that if that memo was legit the liberal media in this country would be all over it like white on rice and calling for impeachment as they did during the Nixon years......................I would probably join them......

Alright... liberal "Bush-hating" aside, as I said a second ago (after your post) to Trajan, Tony Blair has indirectly confirmed the authenticity of the Downing Street Memo (see below). Does that not go a long way towards proving it real? Everyone is scared. No one wants to botch a direct assault on the president. And being as it's a foreign memo, it's gotten too little coverage.

"...that memorandum was written before we then went to the United Nations."

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/06/20050607-2.html

He was training thousands of Islamic Terrorists within his borders regardless of whether or not he had WMD he was a threat you don't need a nuclear weapon to create mass destruction all you need is a fully fueled 727 as was made abundantly clear on 9-11, any country who harbors terrorists should be considered a terrorist state!

That is total bullshit and you know it. There are hundreds of times more active terrorists in Iraq today than there were under Saddam, and all of them were underground when Saddam was president. There are lots of reasons not to like Saddam Hussein, but sponsorship of Islamic terrorists is not one of him. Saddam is an atheist, not an Islamist, and the Islamic fundamentalist organizations all despised him. He certainly reciprocated; he never would have allowed Islamic terrorists to operate in his country because he feared that they would turn against him (and rightly so).

The closest thing to "harboring terrorists" Saddam Hussein ever did was giving some cash to the families of Palestinian suicide bombers. Disgusting yes, but hardly the worst offender in the Middle East.

Kandahar said:
That is total bullshit and you know it. There are hundreds of times more active terrorists in Iraq today than there were under Saddam, and all of them were underground when Saddam was president. There are lots of reasons not to like Saddam Hussein, but sponsorship of Islamic terrorists is not one of him. Saddam is an atheist, not an Islamist, and the Islamic fundamentalist organizations all despised him. He certainly reciprocated; he never would have allowed Islamic terrorists to operate in his country because he feared that they would turn against him (and rightly so).

The closest thing to "harboring terrorists" Saddam Hussein ever did was giving some cash to the families of Palestinian suicide bombers. Disgusting yes, but hardly the worst offender in the Middle East.

Not even close Saddam had terrorist training bases in Salmon Pak. It's all coming out now in documents that were obtained in post-invasion Iraq, and this info is about to go public and already has in the Weekly Standard. The war in Iraq didn't create the terrorists in Iraq it just brought them out of the shadows.

I'm sure Saddam would have liked to use weapons on us, but he wouldn't be that stupid. I think he understood the consequences. Just look at him now....

Kandahar said:

I don't know where you get your figures but would you rather be fighting them in the streets of Baghdad or New York?

Not even close Saddam had terrorist training bases in Salmon Pak. It's all coming out now in documents that were obtained in post-invasion Iraq, and this info is about to go public and already has in the Weekly Standard. The war in Iraq didn't create the terrorists in Iraq it just brought them out of the shadows.

Where is this mysterious information?

alphieb said:
I'm sure Saddam would have liked to use weapons on us, but he wouldn't be that stupid. I think he understood the consequences. Just look at him now....

That's why he was making back door alliances with terrorist organizations so that he couldn't be traced to the attacks.

That's why he was making back door alliances with terrorist organizations so that he couldn't be traced to the attacks.

Show me proof and I shall stand corrected.

alphieb said:

Man you trust this maniac a lot more then I do.......What if he were to give them to a terrorist group to use?

Navy Pride said:
I don't know where you get your figures but would you rather be fighting them in the streets of Baghdad or New York?

Neither. Has there ever been a terrorist attack on US soil committed by Iraqi citizens or by people who were trained in Iraq? No. So hush.

Back
Top Bottom