• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Iraq leans toward Russia in war on Islamic State

'Iraq may request Russian air strikes against Islamic State on its soil soon and wants Moscow to have a bigger role than the United States in the war against the militant group, the head of parliament's defense and security committee said on Wednesday.

“In the upcoming few days or weeks, I think Iraq will be forced to ask Russia to launch air strikes, and that depends on their success in Syria," Hakim al-Zamili, a leading Shi'ite politician, told Reuters in an interview.

The comments were the clearest signal yet that Baghdad intends to lean on Russia in the war on Islamic State after U.S.-led coalition airstrikes produced limited results.

Russian military action in Iraq would deepen U.S. fears that it is losing more strategic ground to rivals in one of the world's most critical regions.

Russia is weighing in behind President Bashar al-Assad with air strikes in Syria while its ally Iran holds deep sway in Iraq, including military advisors who help direct the battle against Islamic State.

Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi has said he would welcome Russian air strikes on Islamic State militants in Iraq and powerful Iranian-backed Shi'ite militias hope for a partnership with Russia to counter U.S. influence.

"We are seeking to see Russia have a bigger role in Iraq. ... Yes, definitely a bigger role than the Americans," Zamili said.'

Iraq leans toward Russia in war on Islamic State | Reuters

Thoughts?

Let them. It won't end well. They will deal with the terrorists then and we can sit back and deal with ourselves.

Sort of. Assad wants the opposition to be ANF/ISIL, because that way the rest of the world has no one to support but him.

Complicated.

If Assad wants the opposition to be ANF/ISIL then why is not Putin bombing them?

Complicated.

If Assad wants the opposition to be ANF/ISIL then why is not Putin bombing them?

Let us say that you face three enemies, A, B, and C. You want your conflict to be defined as You v A+B.

Step one is to eliminate C. Then all that is left is you, A, and B.

Assad wants the rest of the world to have no choice but to explicitly or implicitly back him in Syria's Civil War. The way to do that is to make sure no palatable alternative is allowed to exist.

'Iraq may request Russian air strikes against Islamic State on its soil soon and wants Moscow to have a bigger role than the United States in the war against the militant group, the head of parliament's defense and security committee said on Wednesday.

“In the upcoming few days or weeks, I think Iraq will be forced to ask Russia to launch air strikes, and that depends on their success in Syria," Hakim al-Zamili, a leading Shi'ite politician, told Reuters in an interview.

The comments were the clearest signal yet that Baghdad intends to lean on Russia in the war on Islamic State after U.S.-led coalition airstrikes produced limited results.

Russian military action in Iraq would deepen U.S. fears that it is losing more strategic ground to rivals in one of the world's most critical regions.

Russia is weighing in behind President Bashar al-Assad with air strikes in Syria while its ally Iran holds deep sway in Iraq, including military advisors who help direct the battle against Islamic State.

Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi has said he would welcome Russian air strikes on Islamic State militants in Iraq and powerful Iranian-backed Shi'ite militias hope for a partnership with Russia to counter U.S. influence.

"We are seeking to see Russia have a bigger role in Iraq. ... Yes, definitely a bigger role than the Americans," Zamili said.'

Thoughts?

I can see why they'd want Russia over us, we're the reason they're in their current mess. But Russia won't have their best interests at heart either, Russia works for Russia.

I can see why they'd want Russia over us, we're the reason they're in their current mess. But Russia won't have their best interests at heart either, Russia works for Russia.

True dat. Let's not forget that Russia will also have no mercy or press problems either.

Doesn't every entity ultimately work for itself?

But it seems to me that Russia is more interested in keeping Assad in power because it is mutually advantageous, and has the added benefit that Assad is a legitimately elected leader.

Two are stronger than one, eh?

Let us say that you face three enemies, A, B, and C. You want your conflict to be defined as You v A+B.

Step one is to eliminate C. Then all that is left is you, A, and B.

Assad wants the rest of the world to have no choice but to explicitly or implicitly back him in Syria's Civil War. The way to do that is to make sure no palatable alternative is allowed to exist.

Thanks,

It did not occurred to me!

What they won't they won't tell you is that Israel, Norway and Denmark are also drifting towards Russia.

Doesn't every entity ultimately work for itself?

But it seems to me that Russia is more interested in keeping Assad in power because it is mutually advantageous, and has the added benefit that Assad is a legitimately elected leader.

Two are stronger than one, eh?
Eh? Legitimately elected nope. He inherited power from his father, who wiped out a few 100k of his political opponents to come to power. But the legitimate government of Syria for sure.

When the protests began civil society wasn't with Assad, but when the secular elements of the 'Free Syria Army' were marginalized, and Al Qaeda and ISIL arrived that changed things.

Now it truly is down to three options for Syrians:
- Support Assad and put up with him
- Oppose Assad and end up supporting Islamists
- Flee across the border

Most obviously pick option one or three.

Iraq going to Russia for help just goes to show how Obama has weakened our standing in the world.

President Airhead has tied the hands of our Armed Forces so tight in the fight against ISIS, keeping them from doing serious damage to ISIS's infrastucture. That's partly how we lost Vietnam for ****s sake. Flat-footed goomba politicans thought they knew more then the combat-experienced Generals when it came to fighting a war.

The Shi'a leadership in Iraq has become a puppet government which toadies to the religious fanatic theocracy in Iran. With very little effort you can see exactly what is happening.

Russia is establishing dominance over the entire region, stretching from Syria through Iran, including Iraq. Our own wonderous "President Red-line" made this possible when he completely ****ed up his little power play in Syria two years ago. Russia will rescue its Syrian puppet, as-Assad, cement its alliance with Iran, and make a special point of utterly exterminating ISIS everywhere it exists in both Syria and Iraq. Putin will become the undisputed master of the Eastern Mediterranean and project power from his expanding naval base at Tartus, Syria.

Meanwhile, what's our own wonderous President Marvelous going to be doing...? Why, he'll be busy trying, as ever, to weaken the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution and make it more and more difficult and expensive for law-abiding American citizens to defend their own lives and property. Putin knows he's got an open, unobstructed opportunity to do anything he wishes between now and noon on January 20, 2017, when we finally get rid of our America-hating pestilence in the White House....

That Obama is simply doing what others tell him. Does that sound like an effective leader to you?

What does my view have to do with ANYTHING about leadership, for me or anybody else? :confused:

Eh? Legitimately elected nope. He inherited power from his father, who wiped out a few 100k of his political opponents to come to power. But the legitimate government of Syria for sure.

When the protests began civil society wasn't with Assad, but when the secular elements of the 'Free Syria Army' were marginalized, and Al Qaeda and ISIL arrived that changed things.

Now it truly is down to three options for Syrians:
- Support Assad and put up with him
- Oppose Assad and end up supporting Islamists
- Flee across the border

Most obviously pick option one or three.

...and I'm supposed to believe a guy on the internet...why? :confused:

What does my view have to do with ANYTHING about leadership, for me or anybody else? :confused:

I wasn't referring to your view.

I was referring to how our weak potus is perceived by nearly everyone. Theres also the fact that your defense of him was merely an excuse-he's doing what others tell him.

Commander in chief.

Putin plays chess whilst the US plays checkers.

No, the U.S. is playing chess. They are just playing with three or four different opponents at the same time and having a hard time keeping track of their moves. It is the consequence of being a global empire. Many challengers in many places struggling to eke out some space for themselves and America has to stop them all to assure its supremacy.

...and I'm supposed to believe a guy on the internet...why? :confused:
I'm meant to care what someone being an ass on the internet thinks why?

Though I can't be blamed for your inability to search Wikipedia for Assad's family history.

Thoughts?

A sadirist towing the Tehran line? Shocking.

Sounds like winner for Russia. This will eventually give them a port on the Mediterranean Sea.

I wasn't referring to your view.

I was referring to how our weak potus is perceived by nearly everyone. Theres also the fact that your defense of him was merely an excuse-he's doing what others tell him.

Commander in chief.

That you think I defend that traitor speaks volumes about your abilities to jump to incorrect conclusions. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom