• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Iraq hurt Katrina response, general says

KidRocks

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Well, what do you expect?

Most of our National Guard is being deployed overseas in defense of our great country against a major threat against our national security in a far off land called Iraq. :roll:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/09/katrina.natguard.ap/index.html

BAY ST. LOUIS, Mississippi (AP) -- The deployment of thousands of National Guard troops from Mississippi and Louisiana in Iraq when Hurricane Katrina struck hindered those states' initial storm response, military and civilian officials said Friday.

Lt. Gen. Steven Blum, chief of the National Guard Bureau, said that "arguably" a day or so of response time was lost due to the absence of the Mississippi National Guard's 155th Infantry Brigade and Louisiana's 256th Infantry Brigade, each with thousands of troops in Iraq.

"Had that brigade been at home and not in Iraq, their expertise and capabilities could have been brought to bear," said Blum...

FinnMacCool said:
I don't see the logic of sending the NATIONAL GUARD over to Iraq to guard Iraq when they should stay here.

The Natinal Guard is there to (mostly)provide peripheral activities when the full-time servicepeople gets the most action...

Supplies, fuel runs, setting up stuctures, administration....things of that nature...

As per the article above, it was very ignorant thing for the Lt. Gen. to say...
Qualified figures can say stupid things too...Isn't that what the left accuses this Administration of doing every day?

Currently, there are 1.2 MILLION people in the service...There are less than 200,000 in Iraq...Would he call on soldiers from Louisiana to come home from the Phillipines or German bases where we've been for decades?:doh

And all states have these soldiers. They are called the NATIONAL Guard for a reason. They can help across the NATION, and not just in their own state.
There are over 100,000 National Guard members in this country that could've been utilized...the few thousand over in Iraq is insignificant compared to these...

KidRocks said:
Well, what do you expect?

Most of our National Guard is being deployed overseas in defense of our great country against a major threat against our national security in a far off land called Iraq. :roll:

Yea, like you would know. I'm guessing you can't correctly perform an about face. Like me. Run that by us one time kid, would ya? Step by friggin step. If you ain't been in the military, don't pretend like you know what your talking about. It's that simple. Ask anyone who's been in uniform. While you're at it, why don't you run through inspection arms.

Better yet, how about we ask someone who's been there. Jar Head, front and center.

Oh kid.....don't you dare call gunny Jar Head. It just doesn't have the implied respect coming from you. When I say it...it's with respect. Something you have no idea about. If gunny calls me grunt or dog face....I say...while at parade rest...Yes Seargent. See how this works? I didn't think so. The basement. Top Tens. #508.

Know anything about the 82nd? They showed up quick.

Anytime.

You too finmacdroolonyourbib.

Cnredd, nevertheless I don't they should be over in Iraq. What is the point of that honestly? But then again maybe there is a point to it which I guess would go back to the whole Iraq is bad for us thing which is a completely different topic.

Unless your joking teacher, which I sincerly hope you are, let me just say right here and now that you are a dick.

Last edited:
FinnMacCool said:
Cnredd, nevertheless I don't they should be over in Iraq. What is the point of that honestly? But then again maybe there is a point to it which I guess would go back to the whole Iraq is bad for us thing which is a completely different topic.
The point of this thread was that Katrina could be handled better if the Louisiana National Guard wasn't in Iraq...Through my above post, I showed that this was wrong.

Whether or not you think they should be over in Iraq in the first place was not an issue.

FinnMacCool said:
Unless your joking teacher, which I sincerly hope you are, let me just say right here and now that you are a dick.

Watch it with the language....Don't make me get out the Moderator robes and make this an official warning...

I think it's obvious being in Iraq hurt the federal response. LA's response was hurt too. Their first responders(infantry), highwater trucks, refuelers and generators are in Iraq.

scottyz said:
I think it's obvious being in Iraq hurt the federal response. LA's response was hurt too. Their first responders(infantry), highwater trucks, refuelers and generators are in Iraq.

And of course, the 49 other states were totally empty of this equipment and Guardspeople or just outright refused to help...or maybe the Governor of LA didn't ask the others?:roll:

You think it's obvious being in Iraq hurt the federal response because it would reflect badly on the Bush Administration, which throughout this forum, you and others have proved is your only goal...The more problems at home, the worse GWB looks, the more you snicker gleefully...As the numbers of dead rise in Louisiana, the more they can be used as political cash against your enemies....Another 100 dead?...Well that's another bullet in your gun, fresh for firing at anyone you don't like...

I can see how your logic works...

March, 2003...
General #1 - "Should we use the LA National Guard to assist with Iraq?"
General #2 - "God no!...What if the levees break 2 years from now during a storm that hasn't happened in over forty years?!?!?...We have to keep them home twiddling their thumbs in case this happens!":shock:

cnredd said:
And of course, the 49 other states were totally empty of this equipment and Guardspeople or just outright refused to help...or maybe the Governor of LA didn't ask the others?:roll:
The Gov. accepted help from NM and MS, but the paper work got held up in Washington.

You think it's obvious being in Iraq hurt the federal response because it would reflect badly on the Bush Administration, which throughout this forum, you and others have proved is your only goal...The more problems at home, the worse GWB looks, the more you snicker gleefully...As the numbers of dead rise in Louisiana, the more they can be used as political cash against your enemies....Another 100 dead?...Well that's another bullet in your gun, fresh for firing at anyone you don't like...
You've blown my cover! I'm really an operative from the DNC sent here by Michael Moore and Cindy Sheehan to reflect badly on the Bush Admin. :rofl :applaud

scottyz said:
The Gov. accepted help from NM and MS, but the paper work got held up in Washington.
Then that is an admission that Iraq was not an issue...it was red tape...Thanks for your agreement.:2wave:
scottyz said:
You've blown my cover! I'm really an operative from the DNC sent here by Michael Moore and Cindy Sheehan to reflect badly on the Bush Admin. :rofl :applaud
It would be much more logical than what you do now...which is act like one without getting paid for it.;)

cnredd said:
Then that is an admission that Iraq was not an issue...it was red tape...Thanks for your agreement.:2wave:
They wouldn't have needed other states national guard members and equipment if their own wasn't in Iraq. If Iraq wasn't such a drain on resources there wouldn't be so many national guard members performing the duties of full time soldiers. There might have been Chinook and Blackhawk helicopters helping people in N.O. if they weren't all in Iraq.

LOL. I am sorry. But when I hear people whether they are on the right, left or center blame Bush for the response efforts because we have national guards in Iraq I have to laugh. RFK jr even blames him for causing Katrina. Do you know there are even people I hear on the radio say hurricanes can be made by man? I am no scientist but this is a little far fetched don`t you think?

Look, Bush did not cause the hurricane, nature did, he did not destroy the Trade Center, terrorist did, he did not start the war in Iraq, Saddam did when he brutalized his own people and refused to let the inspectors in. Our intell since Clinton days even told us he was developing wmd`s. Whether or not he had them America stands for the freedom of all people.

“It is a common observation here that our cause is the cause of all mankind, and that we are fighting for their liberty in defending our own." --Benjamin Franklin

People cannot have it both ways.They claim that the Patriot Act grants too much power to the Federal government to criticize our personal lives, but then they demand that the Federal government is the one who is ultimately responsible to deal with a relief efforts from a disaster such as Katrina. Flood control is a state responsibility, But when it is exceptionally tough, other states, and then the federal Government should step forward.

Take a look at the City of New Orleans Comprehensive Emergency Management Plan : http://www.cityofno.com/portal.aspx?portal=46&tabid=26

I see nowhere that Federal Government is responsible. If you can find it here, please correct me.

ThePhoenix said:
People cannot have it both ways.They claim that the Patriot Act grants too much power to the Federal government to criticize our personal lives, but then they demand that the Federal government is the one who is ultimately responsible to deal with a relief efforts from a disaster such as Katrina. Flood control is a state responsibility, But when it is exceptionally tough, other states, and then the federal Government should step forward.

That argument makes no sense. They're two completely different things. One is an intrusion on a citizens civil liberties. The other governmental assistance in the face of a disaster.

And if that argument was legit, then one could easily say the Bush administration as taken a position to stay out of states and individual rights ...unless one person of that state is in a vegetative state or the citizens of that state have decided to allow sick people to smoke pot. Then midnight flights should be set-up so bills can be signed and cases should be fought tooth and nail all the way to the Supreme Court.

Look, Bush did not cause the hurricane, nature did, he did not destroy the Trade Center, terrorist did, he did not start the war in Iraq, Saddam did when he brutalized his own people and refused to let the inspectors in. Our intell since Clinton days even told us he was developing wmd`s. Whether or not he had them America stands for the freedom of all people.

hmm. . .what ever happened to those wmds? Haven't heard from them in awhile. . ..

Nobody is blaming Bush for the hurricane. Maybe it seems that way but people are just looking for answers and its a fact that these small things could've possibly had an impact on the response time. I don't think anyone can really blame anybody until an investigation has begun.

FinnMacCool said:
hmm. . .what ever happened to those wmds? Haven't heard from them in awhile. . ..

Nobody is blaming Bush for the hurricane. Maybe it seems that way but people are just looking for answers and its a fact that these small things could've possibly had an impact on the response time. I don't think anyone can really blame anybody until an investigation has begun.

You have years to hide or dispose of a WMD that you have already used on other people. You have an entire country to hide or dispose of a WMD you have already used on other people. Are they there??? Can't say for sure, but if they are I bet you there not just sitting around. But probably in some hole in the desert.

There are those fun luvin dems that seem to want to blame everything ont eh president..yes even the weather:lol:

FinnMacCool said:
Have you thought of Syria also?

ThePhoenix said:
Have you thought of Syria also?

Thats a definet possibility also

FinnMacCool said:
Perhaps not but does that mean Bush hasn't either? How could it possibly be in Syria?

He has. Posted below is a March 3, 2005 article and link.
http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2005/3/2/230625.shtml
Russia Moved Iraqi WMD

Charles R. Smith
Thursday, March 3, 2005

Moscow Moved Weapons to Syria and Lebanon

According to a former top Bush administration official, Russian special forces teams moved weapons of mass destruction out of Iraq to Syria.

"I am absolutely sure that Russian Spetsnatz units moved WMD out of Iraq before the war," stated John Shaw, the former deputy undersecretary for international technology security.

If the Iraq war wasn't the reason for the slow response(as some claim) from DHS than it makes just makes DHS look even worse. To assume they had all the resources normally available to them and still messed up is a bad sign. Terrorists wont give us any warning before they set off a dirty bomb...

FinnMacCool said:
Perhaps not but does that mean Bush hasn't either? How could it possibly be in Syria?

A couple trucks and a dark road. Doesn't take much to haul afew 55 gallo drums

Increase privacy rights.

A primary concern in the current politics is our reduction of the right to privacy. Steps need to be taken to protect our rights. First of all we need to increase standards for probable cause when conducting infared searches. By doing this we would increase our rights and save our privacy.

Re: Increase privacy rights.

debatecoach346 said:
A primary concern in the current politics is our reduction of the right to privacy. Steps need to be taken to protect our rights. First of all we need to increase standards for probable cause when conducting infared searches. By doing this we would increase our rights and save our privacy.

Welcome to Debate Politics.

What does any of this have to do with this thread?

cnredd said:

I can see how your logic works...

March, 2003...
General #1 - "Should we use the LA National Guard to assist with Iraq?"
General #2 - "God no!...What if the levees break 2 years from now during a storm that hasn't happened in over forty years?!?!?...We have to keep them home twiddling their thumbs in case this happens!":shock:

The governer filed a request with the Whitehouse for additional national guard troops from other states on Sunday before the Hurricane, that request was not approved until late Thursday night after the Hurricane.

Back
Top Bottom