• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Iran's Influence in Iraq. Leaked Documents Tell Fascinating Story.

Evilroddy

Pragmatic, pugilistic, prancing, porcine politico.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
A trove of leaked documents bring to light the extent and vigour of Iran's influence over the Iraqi State and how Iran is attempting to maintain that powerful influence. Well wiporth a read by a group of very good security and intelligence reporters.

Leaked Intelligence Reports Expose How Iran Dominates Iraq

Cheers and enjoy the read.
Evilroddy.

A trove of leaked documents bring to light the extent and vigour of Iran's influence over the Iraqi State and how Iran is attempting to maintain that powerful influence. Well wiporth a read by a group of very good security and intelligence reporters.

Thank you for the informative article.

Iran has long had undue influence in Iraq's Shia dominant south and central regions.

This is where the Dawa Party flourished in Iraq despite Saddam's brutal attempts to crush it.

Evilroddy.

Another anti-invasion argument which was correct.
A destabilized Iraq will fall under Iran's sway.
Who'da thunk?

Another anti-invasion argument which was correct.
A destabilized Iraq will fall under Iran's sway.
Who'da thunk?
About everyone who has been in the region for more than a week.

Sent from my Honor 8X

Evilroddy.

What's been really fascinating about this is how pragmatic approach Iranian intelligence took in gaining influence in Iraq; as well as their ability to infiltrate ISIS. The one good take away is the divide between the more pragmatic intelligence agency and the ideological interests of the government. As for Iranian influence in Iraq, that's coming to a head now as part of the many protests in Iraq; this leak will not help the perception of the Iraqi government once again being a puppet of another foreign power.

What's been really fascinating about this is how pragmatic approach Iranian intelligence took in gaining influence in Iraq; as well as their ability to infiltrate ISIS. The one good take away is the divide between the more pragmatic intelligence agency and the ideological interests of the government. As for Iranian influence in Iraq, that's coming to a head now as part of the many protests in Iraq; this leak will not help the perception of the Iraqi government once again being a puppet of another foreign power.

ElCupacabra:

You make excellent points. I have always thought that Iran would make a much better regional ally for the USA than the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Equally theocratic but more practical and reliable in my opinion than the KSA. But the 1970's vintage petro-dollar scheme stands in the way of that happening for the foreseeable future.

The protests and riots in Iraq have been grossly under-reported in most Western mainstream media and have been an absolute slaughter for about a month now. I agree that the writing is on the wall for the present pro-Iranian Iraqi government, but I am sure Iran will find a way to dominate any democratically chosen successor government due to the demographics of present day Iraq. Another Sunni dictatorship is about the only way to reverse Iran's influence, but we know how how dictatorships in Iraq workout.

The above assumes that neither Israel nor America attacks Iran, which opens a can of worms which I don't want to peer into.

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

ElCupacabra:

You make excellent points. I have always thought that Iran would make a much better regional ally for the USA than the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Equally theocratic but more practical and reliable in my opinion than the KSA. But the 1970's vintage petro-dollar scheme stands in the way of that happening for the foreseeable future.

The protests and riots in Iraq have been grossly under-reported in most Western mainstream media and have been an absolute slaughter for about a month now. I agree that the writing is on the wall for the present pro-Iranian Iraqi government, but I am sure Iran will find a way to dominate any democratically chosen successor government due to the demographics of present day Iraq. Another Sunni dictatorship is about the only way to reverse Iran's influence, but we know how how dictatorships in Iraq workout.

The above assumes that neither Israel nor America attacks Iran, which opens a can of worms which I don't want to peer into.

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

The situation in Iran is pretty dire due to the sanctions the US has placed on them. US and British history in Iran has led to much of the mess we're dealing with now, and you have to question how wise it is to continually keep trying to control the country's destiny since foreign intervention has proven to worsen the situation there. The current strategy of starving the Iranians into revolution is another questionable choice, since it could lead to increasing anti-US sentiment and the introduction of some other hardline government. Listening to Pompeo state that the US is with the people of Iran makes you wonder if this administration thinks the Iranian people are idiots.

There's no question of there being issues with the current Iranian government, and that part of the current situation is on them. However, to claim that the plight of the people is only on the Iranian government is disingenuous. It is the sanctions which are at the core of the economic crisis there, and there's no way around that. I'm sure that if there is some form of regime change, there won't be much love for the US as a result. I don't think there will be direct military action against Iran though; that would be such a massive quagmire. The US will continue it's economic siege until something happens.

ElCupacabra:

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

I had always hoped things would normalize between Iraq and Iran after the war.

Just waiting to see if the pendulum swings too far.

Evilroddy.

Given how heavy iraq's shia population is, it would be no surprise the two would work together.

Now the recent riots in shia areas against govt's reeks of us intervention, I figured this out weeks ago reading about protesters griping about iraq govt and oppression while admitting they were from libya and tunisia, what kind of organic revolt needs people bussed in from other nations?

Given how iranian intel functions I doubt the protestors would last long, and iran would likely regain control over shia areas, as one should note the same thing in lebanon is happening in shia areas, that overwhelmingly back iran, yet are protesting iran and filled with people who have never once in their lives lived in either nation, this smells as fishy as a riot demanding the california governor resign, only to notice the rioters came in with cars with georgia plates.

Now the recent riots in shia areas against govt's reeks of us intervention, I figured this out weeks ago reading about protesters griping about iraq govt and oppression while admitting they were from libya and tunisia, what kind of organic revolt needs people bussed in from other nations?

As usual from you, anti-US prattle with no citations offered to lend your accusations any credibility.

The protests in Iraq are attributed to a regime composed of elites, regime corruption, and its subservience to foreign powers (the US and Iran).

Why Iraq’s Protesters Are Still in the Streets | Foreign Policy

Despite a promise of early elections, the government in Baghdad has yet to address demonstrators’ demands.

As usual from you, anti-US prattle with no citations offered to lend your accusations any credibility.

The protests in Iraq are attributed to a regime composed of elites, regime corruption, and its subservience to foreign powers (the US and Iran).

Why Iraq’s Protesters Are Still in the Streets | Foreign Policy

Despite a promise of early elections, the government in Baghdad has yet to address demonstrators’ demands.

But you fail to adress that many of those protestors are rioting in shia areas, and many are not shia or even residents of iraq, the same happened in lebanon, it followed the same trend as the uprising in syria where the syrian masses rising against assad were not even from syria but other nations in the middle east.

You call it anti us prattle, but you are by trying to defend what is going on defending the worst human suffering since stalin, millions have died from the proxy and civil wars started by countries outside the middle east, maybe the middle east should handle democracy and freedom in their own way as the western way has yet to work over there but rather caused endless bloodshed.

You call it anti us prattle, but you are by trying to defend what is going on defending the worst human suffering since stalin, millions have died from the proxy and civil wars started by countries outside the middle east, maybe the middle east should handle democracy and freedom in their own way as the western way has yet to work over there but rather caused endless bloodshed.

I'm not defending anything. I'm pointing out that you are wrong. Still no citations that the riots in Iraq are due to US involvement.

Iraqi Parliament Accepts PM Adel Abdul-Mahdi Resignation, But Protesters Demand More

12/1/19
The resignation of Iraqi Prime Minister Adel Abdul-Mahdi is now official, following a session of Parliament on Sunday. Abdul-Mahdi and his government will stay on in a caretaker capacity until the parliament forms a new government. Laith Kubba, an adviser to the outgoing prime minister, told NPR's Weekend Edition Sunday that Abdul-Mahdi's resignation should have happened sooner. "I think he got signals from many circles, international and local, to stay on, and that he can contain the situation," Kubba said. "I think they grossly underestimated the rage that was out there, and they misread basically what it was all about." Protesters have been demanding jobs and an end to corruption; they have also been decrying what they see as Iran's growing influence over Iraq's internal affairs. Prior to Abdul-Mahdi's resignation, his government attempted to satisfy some of the protesters' demands with a package of reforms to provide jobs and improve services, as well as a bill that would reform the electoral system. Samya Kullab, Iraq correspondent for the Associated Press, told NPR's All Things Considered last week that many protesters rejected the reforms — and are instead "looking to dismantle the entire political establishment." The demonstrations express a deep dissatisfaction with the political system set up after the U.S. invasion of Iraq in 2003. The invasion led to sectarianism, and the rise of a ruling class that protesters say reap material rewards while the rest of the country struggles economically.

"The system that was built and the powers that took over that system have led the country to a dead end," Kubba told NPR on Sunday. "The country can not continue with that system and with this political class. So the question now is how to map out a transition that will be least costly to the country, bearing in mind Iraq is in the midst of a region full of turbulence and violence." As Reuters has reported, Abdul-Mahdi said in a televised cabinet meeting on Saturday that the next step in the transition after his resignation would be for President Barham Salih to name a new premier for Parliament to approve. But the powerful populist cleric Moqtada al-Sadr said Friday on Twitter that he believes a popular referendum should be held to choose the next prime minister, and the people should vote from among five proposed candidates. Sadr encouraged the protesters to continue making demands, but to reject violence. Speaking with NPR's Weekend Edition, Kubba warned that if Iraq's elites simply put forward a candidate for prime minister, they will not succeed in stabilizing the country. "I think we need to focus on a transition where a council of dignitaries play an intermediary role to win the confidence [of the Iraqi people]," Kubba said.

I see no hint above that the US is involved beyond Iraqi's now being dissatisfied with the Iraq Constitution that was authored and enacted while the US was the occupying power.

From the above, internal elitism, sectarianism, corruption, and Iran's pervasive influences within Iraq are the main raisons d'être for the current combustible situation.

I'm not defending anything. I'm pointing out that you are wrong. Still no citations that the riots in Iraq are due to US involvement.

Well there are no citations as of yet no one has proven it either way, it just follows the exact patterns of the other events proven as well as captured rioters in lebanon and iraq not being from either country. Given direct us involvement in arab spring, as well as rebellions in libya and syria, given that this is a shia uprising against shia rule makes no sense at all, why would shia riot against shia rule? There is no sane logic to back this up, and no shia controlled region or their allies or their citizens have a single thing to gain from such, but the united states israel and saudi araia have everything to gain.

Well there are no citations as of yet no one has proven it either way,

I provided a germane article in Post #14.

You? Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Bupkus.

I'll let the readers figure out who is full of anti-US hot air here.

I provided a germane article in Post #14.

You? Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Bupkus.

I'll let the readers figure out who is full of anti-US hot air here.

I know the iraqi pm resigned, however demanding articles on the us being behind it is absurd as the us will deny it endlessly until the foia makes it public, if you actually read foia articles the us govt has not only been active near nonstop in backing and starting riots and protests, but even terrorists.

You are demanding proof that what has happened a thousand times before must be proven 1001 times because the previous 1000 times were not pattern enough to recognize bs.

I know the iraqi pm resigned, however demanding articles on the us being behind it is absurd as the us will deny it endlessly until the foia makes it public, if you actually read foia articles the us govt has not only been active near nonstop in backing and starting riots and protests, but even terrorists. You are demanding proof that what has happened a thousand times before must be proven 1001 times because the previous 1000 times were not pattern enough to recognize bs.

Yes. I damn well demand some proofs before I even consider your smear job here on the United States.

I'm sick of you conspiricists expecting people to simply accept your lies and deceits.

Yes. I damn well demand some proofs before I even consider your smear job here on the United States.

I'm sick of you conspiricists expecting people to simply accept your lies and deceits.

Considering the cia is vastly know for doing such, having admitted doing such, and even proven such numerous times, and that the us has had a stated goal of doing such going back about 50 years, and you just demand proof, do you demand proof eveery day before you will believe the sun sets in the east, or is it just that you are so adamant on your positions that you will not objectively look at anything that opposes your position.

The iraq and lebanon protests reek of foreign interference specifically from the us saudi arabia and israel. Iran has protests going on too however theirs look more authentic, however it is highly likely foreign govts there are pouring fuel into the fire even if they did not start it.

Considering the cia is vastly know for doing such, having admitted doing such, and even proven such numerous times, and that the us has had a stated goal of doing such going back about 50 years, and you just demand proof, do you demand proof eveery day before you will believe the sun sets in the east, or is it just that you are so adamant on your positions that you will not objectively look at anything that opposes your position.

I've interacted with you plenty on this board. I know your MO. It isn't pretty and is quite often anti-US.

So if you believe that you can just regurgitate unverified disinformation, guess again. I'm here every day.

I've interacted with you plenty on this board. I know your MO. It isn't pretty and is quite often anti-US.

So if you believe that you can just regurgitate unverified disinformation, guess again. I'm here every day.

You already know iraq and shia islam have zero to gain in any plain of existence in any known universe while the united states has everything to gain as their entire goal was to eliminate iranian influence in the middle east. The protests are just following the same cia playbook used over and over since the 1950's, to a degree it is so absolutely predictable.

Not a single one of those nations gained anything from us cia intervention, heck look at venezuela, or at syria, all attempts have lead to poverty or death, with citizens used as useful pawns for regime change or influence campaigns.

Also not to sound mean, your near defense of everything us/ukraine etc literally to the extent you go makes you sound like a paid cia agent who was paid to go around boards and be as anti everything the us is against as possible.

Some historical context through which to view the Iraq nationalist rebellion and protests against both Iranian and American influence in Iraq.

https://theintercept.com/2019/11/18/us-iraq-invasion-iran/

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

Iraq has had historical opposition to iranian ties, but also much stronger opposition to american ties and other nations. Either way both saudi arabia and iran want control of iraq, iraq to them is like ukraine was to the soviet union, it is a buffer zone between two opposing ideologies, someone to be the roadblock as well as human shield.

When saddam was in power, despite irans war with iraq, iran was scared of saddam falling, as was saudi arabia who was also in his crosshairs, the reason being iraq seperated the two opposing theocracies, and both sides knew a direct conflict would not happen with someone in the middle blocking.

With saddam gone it is now the two sides fighting in secretive and underhanded ways for control of the buffer zone, since it is no longer neutral to either ideology each side wants the advantage of influencing iraq in the shia/sunni rift, and this conflict is not likely to end soon.

Also not to sound mean, your near defense of everything us/ukraine etc literally to the extent you go makes you sound like a paid cia agent who was paid to go around boards and be as anti everything the us is against as possible.

You don't sound mean. You sound dumb. I used to live in Ukraine (Kyiv/Lviv/Odesa/Balaklava) and have many friends and government/military contacts there.

In the Bric-Brak thread, I don't hold back on what I actually consider to be valid complaints about the country or its government. I call em as I see em.

But unlike you, I usually post a citation and then explain the germane point(s) to those readers that are not very familiar with the country.

You don't sound mean. You sound dumb. I used to live in Ukraine (Kyiv/Lviv/Odesa/Balaklava) and have many friends and government/military contacts there.

In the Bric-Brak thread, I don't hold back on what I actually consider to be valid complaints about the country or its government. I call em as I see em.

But unlike you, I usually post a citation and then explain the germane point(s) to those readers that are not very familiar with the country.

So then explain, why would shia who have absolutely zero to gain protest against shia leadership and rule and have everything to lose yet somehow expect the side with every single thing to gain would not have anything to do with it, foia does not happen instantly, you can easily read prior cia coupes and riots directed by them for the purpose of destabilizing or overthrowing govts, but despite the constant track record you demand an exact example for this one case, this tells me you must be unable to examine patterns or are so adamant in your position that you refuse to.

Fyi the opcw has been battling whistleblower reports about the opcw rigging results in douma in favor of the united states and it's allied forces, you seem to not bother to bring that up almost like you only favor middle eastern and eastern europe news that favors your point of view.

Back
Top Bottom