• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Iranian president takes Obama up on offer

scourge99

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
http://www.canada.com/topics/news/world/story.html?id=ae7b3524-c6aa-44f5-af2d-7d7d1057b7c2

Iranian president takes Obama up on offer

Says he's willing to debate both U.S. presidential candidates

Steven Edwards ,* Canwest News Service Published:*Thursday, September 18, 2008UNITED NATIONS - Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad put Barack Obama on the spot Thursday, offering to debate with both U.S. presidential candidates when he arrives at the United Nations next week for its annual summit.The fiery Iranian leader, who provoked a storm of controversy when he visited last year, said he would debate global issues at a public forum in UN headquarters if the candidates agreed.Obama said early in his campaign that, as president, he would be prepared to meet the leaders of U.S. foes such as Iran and Syria.

Adin-my-jihad is no idiot. He may be president of a crazy country but he is very intelligent. Wonder how Obama will respond to this one?

I highly doubt Obama or McCain would risk something like this but the problem is it casts doubt on Obama's resolve. Can he put his money where his mouth is? If he did debate it could make or break him.

Don't get too carried away with this one, folks. Obama has to win the presidency first! So, at this point it doesn't matter if President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad comes to the U.S. next week, next month or any time before January 20, 2009, the day the next President of the U.S. is sworn into office.

All Obama (or McCain for the matter) have to say is "Yes, I'd be happy to discuss foreign policy matters with him at an appropriate time and place when I'm president," and leave it at that.

He really doesn't want to debate. He just misses the smell of the Devil!

Adin-my-jihad is no idiot. He may be president of a crazy country but he is very intelligent. Wonder how Obama will respond to this one?

I highly doubt Obama or McCain would risk something like this but the problem is it casts doubt on Obama's resolve. Can he put his money where his mouth is? If he did debate it could make or break him.

I think they should accept all they have to do to win the debate is mention that ahmadinejad believes that "they don't have the phenomenon" of gays in Iran and that the "holocaust is a myth," then they could mention some other high points of the Iranian state; such as, stoning women to death for sex outside of marriage, hanging those gays who apparently don't exist, and being an all around authoritarian autocratic tyranny with no free speech, free elections, free association, religious freedom, equal rights for women, etc etc et al.

Last edited:
Adin-my-jihad is no idiot. He may be president of a crazy country but he is very intelligent.
He's brighter than many think, but that's not saying much. Also I think he's more extreme than many in his country when it comes to foreign policy. Reminds me a little of Bush in some senses honestly: stubborn, not willing to back down, a strong champion of executive authority, and with a tendency to replace bureaucrats with idealogues.

If he did debate it could make or break him.
I think it would be great theater.

I've seen several youtube videos of Ahmadinejad speaking, and I was unnerved by his apparently very high level intelligence. I think that both Obama and McCain are way out of their league with this guy, and would suffer badly if they attempted to debate him publically.

I've seen several youtube videos of Ahmadinejad speaking, and I was unnerved by his apparently very high level intelligence. I think that both Obama and McCain are way out of their league with this guy, and would suffer badly if they attempted to debate him publically.
He is extremely intelligent, no doubt. I seem to recall that he's a college professor in his spare time. But I also recall his "debates" at Columbia where he shamelessly dodged almost every question he was asked. I think McCain and Obama could wipe the floor with him on facts alone, but they better be well-versed on ways to deal with dishonest debate tactics.

No, Amedinejad is no idiot, he has played the US into looking like the aroogant bully.

We need someone with the intellegence to beat guys like him at their own game.

Having intelligence isn't a fair indicator of whether or not one is an idiot. Look at Obama after all ....

Here's the plan, once Barack takes the oath of office, give him one of those suitcase nukes to take over for his visit with Imonajihad, and .......BOOM, we get the bastard(s)! ;)

Having intelligence isn't a fair indicator of whether or not one is an idiot. Look at Obama after all ....

I don't see your point based on your example.

I'm going to be nice this time, but you're wide open.

:rofl:

I say we let him debate Palin...lol

Only debate Palin would win is how to best field dress a moose. No moose in Iran. You left a lot of room for that one.

Only debate Palin would win is how to best field dress a moose. No moose in Iran. You left a lot of room for that one.
Were you trying to be funny? You have failed. :doh

Back
Top Bottom