• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Iranian drinkers sentenced to death

First of all "Islam" does not treat women like cattle, some Muslim societies do. I wouldn't want to be a woman in some Orthodox Jewsih society or in a village in India either, where my chances of survival as a baby girl would have been slim anyway. Does that mean that Judaism or Hinduism treats women like cattle ? NO, and you know it.

And yes, what might seem right to one society seems wrong to another, but humilitaing and msitreating another human or animal or the planet in general (which is what the industrialised world has been doing) are recognised as universal wrongs.

On the other hand, respect and kindness toward all living things are universal rights, and all societies, Eastern and Western have that good in them, one just needs to recognise it.

I think both sides have much to learn from each other only if they decide to share what's positive in them instead of constantly and exclussively criticising the bad and the wrong.

Of course the universal wrong should be pointed out and criticised, but the right and the good should also be recognised by both sides toward one another, otherwise we will remain in perpetual conflict.

chattel, not cattle. As in property.

And my only point here was that cultural ralativism is totaally different than what you said it was. Rather than being something that allows you to condemn a foreign society while ignoring your own society's failings, it actually is precisely the opposite, excusing other societies for their immorality because, hey, they have a different culture, so who are we to say that forced marriages or female circumcision are wrong.

chattel, not cattle. As in property.

And my only point here was that cultural ralativism is totaally different than what you said it was. Rather than being something that allows you to condemn a foreign society while ignoring your own society's failings, it actually is precisely the opposite, excusing other societies for their immorality because, hey, they have a different culture, so who are we to say that forced marriages or female circumcision are wrong.

Not at all, we are talking about the exact same thing.

By the way, female circumcision is not exclusively practiced among Muslim societies and has nothing to do with Islam. Traces of female circumcision were even found on Egyptian mummies. It was even practiced in England and the United states until not that long ago.

Forced marriage isn't an Islamic practice either.

More so, a huge human trafficking of women from Eastern Europe has been going on for decades. These women are being forced into prostitution. Neither their pimps, nor their clients happen to be Muslim. So you see, mistreating and humiliating women whenever possible is not exclusively practiced in some Muslim societies. Any society under favorable circumstances will dominate women.

And if you had read my post more carefully, you would have probably replied differently instead of repeating what I have already said.

Always point out the negative aspects of other societies and point out the good in yours. Knowing well that your culture has negative points and theirs has positive points.
You end up always looking good and they end up always looking bad.

It is called cultural relativism and it's definitely dangerous, harmful and counterproductive....just my 2 cents.

I see where the confusion came from. By "it is called" I meant, "it is considered", "you call it cultural relativism"

See, this is where you are wrong. It affects us because if a government, a religious movement, is willing to do this to its own people, it is pretty clear what they are willing to do to the infidel.

What? You plan on taking a trip to Iran soon? Because if not, then it doesn't affect you.

Back
Top Bottom