• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Iranian actress Kiana Firouz fears film of her life ends in death

Hoplite

Technomancer
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Iranian actress Kiana Firouz fears film of her life ends in death - Times Online

Article said:
A young Iranian actress named Kiana Firouz will attend the London premiere tonight of a film in which she plays a lesbian seeking asylum in Britain because the Iranian authorities are pursuing her. The Home Office rejects her application and sends her back to the Islamic republic, where homosexuality is a crime punishable by death.

Unfortunately for Kiana Firouz the film is not make-believe. It is based on her life. The Home Office has denied her asylum and she now faces the prospect of deportation to Iran followed by flogging, execution or both.

Wow. I really have to ask what the judge in the hearing was thinking in this instance.

She should go to the US embassy in London and apply. The US will almost certainly let her stay.

This is terrible, I just don't get the judges reasoning here other than the judge is a ignorant homophobe.

I very much hope that the judge's decision will be reversed. Ms. Firouz should not be deported to a state that would persecute or execute her in violation of her most fundamental human rights.

"Why is it that the courts prevent suspected terrorists from being deported to their home country because they may face torture, yet this poor law abiding lady is being sent back to a death sentence?"

Easy targets. The Border Agency loves them. Looks like you're being strict when actually the real people who should be stopped entering the country walk straight in and stay here. Pathetic.

---------------------
Matt John
cheap web hosting is available!

Last edited:
Granted we don't know everything concerning the case yet, but in general this seems really bad on the part of this judge. I can't think of many better examples of what asylum should be used for.

Iranian actress Kiana Firouz fears film of her life ends in death - Times Online

Wow. I really have to ask what the judge in the hearing was thinking in this instance.

While I support her and am surprised by the denial of her asylum I can't help but wonder why, with such a horrid fate possibly awaiting her - why did she openly admit to being a Lesbian before asylum or citizenship elsewhere was finalized?

Perhaps I just don't quite understand how things work over there - but I don't see it being smart to openly offend your country while you're still a citizen there - or could possibly be sent back.

Once again, I support her and pray for her safety. But she's, also, a bit of a fool who knowingly brought this trouble on herself to make a political statement.

I think this was a stupid decision on the part of the judge and I hope the decision is reversed, but I'm left wondering why this actress made such a film, knowing that it put her life at risk should she be deported back to her home country. :confused:

Yes, unfortunately it's just like those 3 who went into Iran - and then everyone's shocked they were arrested and detained.

there are some things that people know they shouldn't do - and I personally don't feel that people need to be made a martyr to inform others in the world of their situation.

While I support her and am surprised by the denial of her asylum I can't help but wonder why, with such a horrid fate possibly awaiting her - why did she openly admit to being a Lesbian before asylum or citizenship elsewhere was finalized?

Perhaps I just don't quite understand how things work over there - but I don't see it being smart to openly offend your country while you're still a citizen there - or could possibly be sent back.

Once again, I support her and pray for her safety. But she's, also, a bit of a fool who knowingly brought this trouble on herself to make a political statement.

I think this was a stupid decision on the part of the judge and I hope the decision is reversed, but I'm left wondering why this actress made such a film, knowing that it put her life at risk should she be deported back to her home country. :confused:

She was living in the UK for two years as an openly gay woman. She was working on a documentary that hadnt been released yet when the Iranians found out about it before it had been released. When that happened, she request asylum from the British government.

Yes she could have simply hidden herself, but to me this falls into the same category as an Iranian journalist requesting asylum because the Iranian intelligence services found out he was digging deeper into the regime than they would allow.

She was living in the UK for two years as an openly gay woman. She was working on a documentary that hadnt been released yet when the Iranians found out about it before it had been released. When that happened, she request asylum from the British government.

Yes she could have simply hidden herself, but to me this falls into the same category as an Iranian journalist requesting asylum because the Iranian intelligence services found out he was digging deeper into the regime than they would allow.

So - she was living there by what means (visa, work permit?) Obviously she wasn't a citizen of another country and retained her citizenship of Iran during this time period and knew that if she 'came out of the closet' during this time that she might be in danger from her home country's government, yeah?

She's making her point and making a martyr of herself in the process - quite intentionally. There's no reason why she couldn't have waited until she was no longer a citizen of Iran, she simply chose not to. Her political game didn't work in her favor, then.

So - she was living there by what means (visa, work permit?) Obviously she wasn't a citizen of another country and retained her citizenship of Iran during this time period and knew that if she 'came out of the closet' during this time that she might be in danger from her home country's government, yeah?

She's making her point and making a martyr of herself in the process - quite intentionally. There's no reason why she couldn't have waited until she was no longer a citizen of Iran, she simply chose not to. Her political game didn't work in her favor, then.
Again, the Iranian intelligence services found out about a documentary she was making in secret. My assumption is that she planned to release the documentary publically once her immigration was finalized and she was beyond the reach of the Iranians.

Now that that may be in jeopardy, she decided to release the film early to help gain support.

That's the impression I get from reading everything.

Perhaps the judge got word from the Iranian Puckheads that all would be A-OK upon her return. Just as Saddam's brother-in-law was given an A-OK sign from CNN's favorite despot. Of course... his return was fine, it's what happened after that that changed his existence from one of breathing, to one of permanently non-breathing.

The judge's call is stupidity of high order.

Again, the Iranian intelligence services found out about a documentary she was making in secret. My assumption is that she planned to release the documentary publically once her immigration was finalized and she was beyond the reach of the Iranians.

Now that that may be in jeopardy, she decided to release the film early to help gain support.

That's the impression I get from reading everything.

while I believe the laws in her home country are bull**** - they are still laws.

She went overseas to break the law - and was found out.

While I hope that public-pressure changes the situation. I think she's a bit of an idiot.

She probably openly admitted that she is gay because it should qualify her for automatic asylum. WTF is the judge thinking?

Why is this Judge allowed to deny asylum to this woman who is in danger for her life? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom