• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Iran to stone another Woman to death

cpwill

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Sakineh Mohammadie Ashtiani, a mother of two, is waiting to die in Iran by a method of execution described by her lawyer as "barbaric" -- stoning.

She will be buried up to her chest, deeper than a man would be, and the stones that will be hurled at her will be large enough to cause pain but not so large as to kill her immediately, according to an Amnesty International report that cited the Iranian penal code...

Ashtiani was forced to confess after being subjected to 99 lashes, Mostafaei said Thursday in a telephone interview from Tehran.

She later retracted that confession and has denied wrongdoing. Her conviction was based not on evidence but on the determination of three out of five judges, Mostafaei said. She has asked forgiveness from the court but the judges refused to grant clemency.

Iran's supreme court upheld the conviction in 2007.

Mostafaei believes a language barrier prevented his client from fully comprehending court proceedings. Ashtiani is of Azerbaijani descent and speaks Turkish, not Farsi....

"We have grave concerns that the punishment does not fit the alleged crime, " Assistant Secretary of State P.J. Crowley said Thursday. "For a modern society such as Iran, we think this raises significant human rights concerns."

Calling Iran's judicial system "disproportionate" in its treatment of women, Crowley said, "From the United States' standpoint, we don't think putting women to death for adultery is an appropriate punishment."...

Article 74 of the Iranian penal code requires at least four witnesses -- four men or three men and two women -- for an adulterer to receive a stoning sentence, said Mina Ahadi, coordinator for the International Committee Against Stoning. But there were no witnesses in Ashtiani's case. Often, said Ahadi, husbands turn wives in to get out of a marriage....

oh yes. we are concerned that stoning this woman to death "isn't appropriate".

gah, it makes me long for the dying days of the british empire, when the british viceroy, upon being informed that it was just indian practice to burn women to death, replied that that was fine - and it was his practice to hang men who killed women.

Sakineh Mohammadie Ashtiani, a mother of two, is waiting to die in Iran by a method of execution described by her lawyer as "barbaric" -- stoning.

She will be buried up to her chest, deeper than a man would be, and the stones that will be hurled at her will be large enough to cause pain but not so large as to kill her immediately, according to an Amnesty International report that cited the Iranian penal code...

Ashtiani was forced to confess after being subjected to 99 lashes, Mostafaei said Thursday in a telephone interview from Tehran.

She later retracted that confession and has denied wrongdoing. Her conviction was based not on evidence but on the determination of three out of five judges, Mostafaei said. She has asked forgiveness from the court but the judges refused to grant clemency.

Iran's supreme court upheld the conviction in 2007.

Mostafaei believes a language barrier prevented his client from fully comprehending court proceedings. Ashtiani is of Azerbaijani descent and speaks Turkish, not Farsi....

"We have grave concerns that the punishment does not fit the alleged crime, " Assistant Secretary of State P.J. Crowley said Thursday. "For a modern society such as Iran, we think this raises significant human rights concerns."

Calling Iran's judicial system "disproportionate" in its treatment of women, Crowley said, "From the United States' standpoint, we don't think putting women to death for adultery is an appropriate punishment."...

Article 74 of the Iranian penal code requires at least four witnesses -- four men or three men and two women -- for an adulterer to receive a stoning sentence, said Mina Ahadi, coordinator for the International Committee Against Stoning. But there were no witnesses in Ashtiani's case. Often, said Ahadi, husbands turn wives in to get out of a marriage....

oh yes. we are concerned that stoning this woman to death "isn't appropriate".

gah, it makes me long for the dying days of the british empire, when the british viceroy, upon being informed that it was just indian practice to burn women to death, replied that that was fine - and it was his practice to hang men who killed women.

But I thought that women weren't really stoned to death in Iran for having sex, that it was all an Islamophobic myth.

and people still think we can just have peaceful talks with Iranian leaders and come to terms with our disagreements.

and people still think we can just have peaceful talks with Iranian leaders and come to terms with our disagreements.

In 1995 I said iran would need to be attacked for the purpose of regime change. As long as that regime exists, peace is impossible in the middle east.

This is shameful barbarism in the extremis.

As long as the U.S. is still gassing or electrocuting prisoners to death, you have no business pointing the finger.

As long as the U.S. is still gassing or electrocuting prisoners to death, you have no business pointing the finger.
There are no state executions where I live.

I do not personally set the capital punishment policy of the United States nor do you personally set the capital punishment policy of Canada, so get off your righteous high-horse.

Anyone can criticize state executions, especially brutal executions levied under a cruel and discriminatory justice system.

Are you insane? I'm not a huge proponent of the death penalty, but the U.S. only has capital punishment for the crime of murder, this woman had sex outside of marriage. Have you actually gotten to the point of your hatred for the U.S. and your love for Islamist extremism that you can actually see some sort of moral equivalency between the two? I mean good god what is wrong with you?

Last edited:

Your argument here displays no moral reasoning whatsoever.

Last edited:

in which case, i'll do it for them, the iranian government, such as it is, is a despicable, barbaric and reprehensible regime in need of overthrowing, and any people whom condone this form of punishment should take a long walk off a short cliff.

Other than what htey already responded to you with I'll point out that the guilty and accused to death have a variety of rights - and sending them to hell with the least amount of physical discomfort is among them. . . and how many people are sentenced to deaht in the US every year? A lot - how many are actually put to death? Very few. Further, less and less states are permitting the death penalty - it's also no longer socially acceptable by many.

Why are you so worried about what is happening in other countries and why are you particularly bothered about how Iran treats its citizens?

Why are you so worried about what is happening in other countries and why are you particularly bothered about how Iran treats its citizens?

Why can't we be concerned or have an opinion on what another country does?

Because they are human beings. :roll:

I dont know if some of the responses on this thread are being made for the sake of writing, but why does it come as such a shock to you that an Islamic regime with severely eroded civil liberties and big-brother like government policies have decided to stone a woman?

I dont know if some of the responses on this thread are being made for the sake of writing, but why does it come as such a shock to you that an Islamic regime with severely eroded civil liberties and big-brother like government policies have decided to stone a woman?

Who here has expressed shock?

I have only seen revulsion and a couple of feeble attempts at apologia.

Who here has expressed shock?

I have only seen revulsion and a couple of feeble attempts at apologia.

Ok then. Why is anybody "surprised". Seriously, this was expected of Iran. I know A LOT of guys in the UK who have run away from the regime. They have a lot of gruesome stories to tell!

Why can't we be concerned or have an opinion on what another country does?

I never suggested that you SHOULD not or COULD not be concerned.
Why pick up on one incident and make such a fuss about it with remarks like this...........and people still think we can just have peaceful talks with Iranian leaders and come to terms with our disagreements.

The States as well as all of the developed nations has been happy to deal with countries( and I'm pretty sure that you have bought products from those countries) that systematically treat their citizens with brutality.
Why pick on Iran?
Ok tut, tut as much as you like about how wicked Iran is but just bear in mind that Iran is a paradise compared with Zimbabwe ,Congo and Somalia but of course they are not thumbing their noses at the West!
Russia recently sent agents to poison a dissident with a radio active isotope who died an awful and painful death.China is suspected of killing prisoners to harvest their organs and last but not least American forces kill many innocent civilians who die horrible and painful deaths.
Iranians believe that adultery is a wicked crime and that the perpetrators deserve death...live with it...you cant do anything about it anyway

Ok then. Why is anybody "surprised". Seriously, this was expected of Iran. I know A LOT of guys in the UK who have run away from the regime. They have a lot of gruesome stories to tell!

I've seen people on this and other forums saying that this kind of stuff doesn't actually happen in Iran, that it's all western propaganda.

I've seen people on this and other forums saying that this kind of stuff doesn't actually happen in Iran, that it's all western propaganda.

Omg. I know people from Iran who tells me this happens in Iran. Dont get me wrong. If you ever live a day you truly believe everything Western governments/media outlets tell us, then you've lost. If your cautious, then your smart. Unfortunately, this is not one of them.

That woman will be stoned to death.

Why do you equate revulsion with surprise? Do you actually think that a person needs to be surprised by something to find it barbaric? Certainly the two indulging in the apologia already knew of it, and the motivation for their sophistry here is unknown, but offering apologia is not the only result possible among those who know about it. A person can very well know it is occuring and continuing to occur, while also continuing to denounce it.

I find your insistance that there is some element of "surprise" here, or the fact you seem to find that meaningful to be most odd. I can't speak for anybody else, but if I am surprised at all, it would be that people can know full well what is going on, butstill be driven to defend it through the apologia they are offering. Now, THAT mystifies me.

Why do you equate revulsion with surprise? Do you actually think that a person needs to be surprised by something to find it barbaric? Certainly the two indulging in the apologia already knew of it, and the motivation for their sophistry here is unknown, but offering apologia is not the only result possible among those who know about it. A person can very well know it is occuring and continuing to occur, while also continuing to denounce it.

I find your insistance that there is some element of "surprise" here, or the fact you seem to find that meaningful to be most odd. I can't speak for anybody else, but if I am surprised at all, it would be that people can know full well what is going on, butstill be driven to defend it through the apologia they are offering. Now, THAT mystifies me.

Your so argumentative. :lamo
Iran's a barbaric country who's entire existence goes against the dignity of man and the value of our rights as humans. We GET IT. It's over.

Back
Top Bottom