• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Iran to stone another Woman to death

A study by Craig Haney (2003), who researched conditions at Pelican Bay's Security Housing Unit (SHU), evinced that the psychological effects of supermax confinement can induce appetite and sleep disturbances, panic attacks, anxiety, uncontrollable rage, hallucinations, and self-mutilations, some of which occur from the extreme sensory deprivation of such conditions. (It has been speculated that one of the factors behind the Kingston Penitentiary riot in 1971 was that prisoners were restricted from "personalizing" their cell-space, or decorating their living environments, creating an environment akin to sensory deprivation or loss of control.) In addition to Hane'ys medical symptoms there are subtler cognitive, attitudinal, or homeostatic alterations incurred. Below is a comprehensive inventory of the documented effects from psychiatric reports and research into supermax confinement:

negative attitudes
insomnia
social withdrawal
hypersensitivity
ruminations (compulsive preoccupations, duress, or strain produced by indecision)
paranoia
hallucinations
self-mutilations
hopelessness
a sense of impending doom
suicidal ideation and suicide attempts
aggression.

Supermax Prison: Psychological effects - Inside Prison

Tracy's case, sadly, is not unique. The suicide rate in supermax facilities is often twice that of general population facilities. Despite the fact that only about 10 percent of the prison and jail population is held in isolation at any given time, according to the Correctional Association of New York, more than 40 percent of completed suicides occur in segregation.

StopMax: The Fight Against Supermax Prisons Heats Up | Manhattan Alliance for Peace and Justice

The Federal Bureau of Prisons estimates at least 283,000 inmates have significant emotional problems and need treatment. In prison, they don't get it. Instead, they're confined to cells and given psychiatric medications.

Prison violence is a major problem. Supermax confinement was designed to limit it. "There is ample evidence that long-term cell-confinement with almost no social interactions and no meaningful activities has very destructive psychological effects," including mental disorders, violence, and high suicide rates.

Harmful Effects of Prolonged Isolated Confinement

If my opinion is irrelevant then why do you argue against it?

Proving the point regarding your moral equivocation between executing murderers and intentionally murdering innocent women.
The latter is what I have been trying to say this whole time, so thanks for finally agreeing.

And you have no right to point fingers at the U.S. because your countries use of supermax facilities is just as inhumane as the death penalty.

It's not black and white. There is more than one reason why people end up in supermax prisons.

It is black and white, supermax is far less humane than the death penalty.

Do you find the death penalty itself immoral when not compared to life imprisonment?

Personally I am opposed to the death penalty but that doesn't blind me to the fact that there is a significant difference between executing someone found guilty of murder and intentionally executing an innocent woman.

I'm not really supportive of supermax prisons either, but our views part ways when it comes to you thinking the death penalty is less severe.

If executing murderers is the moral equivalent of executing innocent women then placing people in supermax facilities is the equivalent of executing murderers. It's called subjectivism, you obviously have no problem with it when the subjectivist is used to defend Iran and attack the U.S., so why the problem with it in this case?

Okay. I am saying it's not.

And you would be wrong.

I've seen it first hand, I was put into isolotation for a week with no clothes, no blanket, no pillow, and originally put into restraints for even saying that I was going to kill myself while I was in jail.

Very, very few go straight to supermax prisons. I know this to be factually true as my uncle is a corrections officer. People who cannot abide by the rules of the incarceration system at lower security levels and who have repeatedly demonstrated that they will, in cold blood, try to kill other inmates or guards, usually go into isolation. Again, their own actions determine that.

How dare you put murderers into isolation, that is far more inhumane then executing them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom