• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Iran tests another supercavitating torpedo

AndrewC

Active member
Joined
Nov 2, 2005
Messages
351
Reaction score
71
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Re: Aint That a Hoot

OMG, they like sank my battleship!!!!!!
 

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Moderator
DP Veteran
Joined
May 19, 2004
Messages
13,361
Reaction score
7,496
Location
Texas
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Re: Aint That a Hoot

alphamale, what is your opinion on the subject? It might be more interesting than just posting a link.
 

python416

Active member
Joined
Aug 29, 2005
Messages
484
Reaction score
2
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Iran executed another supercavitating torpedo test today, this time in the Strait of Hormuz. World crude prices have now hit their highest levels since Katrina. This technology looks very much like that of the Shkval series originally designed by the USSR. Although the technology is impressive, increasing tensions in the region are something to be concerned about. With the military option still on the table, how do these torpedos affect the military/political strategy of the Bush administration?

http://news.ft.com/cms/s/2e6afff6-c33a-11da-a381-0000779e2340.html
 

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 27, 2005
Messages
43,602
Reaction score
26,256
Location
Houston, TX
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
python416 said:
Iran executed another supercavitating torpedo test today, this time in the Strait of Hormuz. World crude prices have now hit their highest levels since Katrina. This technology looks very much like that of the Shkval series originally designed by the USSR. Although the technology is impressive, increasing tensions in the region are something to be concerned about. With the military option still on the table, how do these torpedos affect the military/political strategy of the Bush administration?

http://news.ft.com/cms/s/2e6afff6-c33a-11da-a381-0000779e2340.html

If we attack Iran, you can say goodbye to most of the Fifth Fleet.
 

oldreliable67

DP Veteran
Joined
Oct 3, 2005
Messages
4,641
Reaction score
1,102
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
danarhea said:
If we attack Iran, you can say goodbye to most of the Fifth Fleet.

You're making a couple of pretty strong assumptions with that statement. One, that Iran has enough of these things to make a difference, and two, that we are totally unable to defense them. On the first assumption, if Iran's test was acceptable, they no doubt will be making these things as fast as they can. But we, that is, you and I, have no way of knowing just how long it takes and what is required. If however, this device is at least partly based on the Russian design, which seems highly likely, then our military has a pretty good base of info from which to work.

Secondly, as to whether or not we can mount a successful defense against them, I would guess that whether yes or no, our military will be relatively quiet about it, but at the same time, speak - publicly, that is - in only reassuring tones. Since we have known about the principles since the Russian design became known, it would seem quite unlikely that we haven't studied how to defend against them. Whether our studies bore fruit or not, only the Navy and the DoD know for sure. If we lose a ship or two, we may find out.

Do they pose an incremental risk? Absolutely. But do they signal the end of the Fifth Fleet? Not hardly.
 

oldreliable67

DP Veteran
Joined
Oct 3, 2005
Messages
4,641
Reaction score
1,102
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Are we still friends with the Germans?


The information is not correct.
There is indeed a countermeasoure. A shkval is only able to move straight ahead. And personally i don't that the Iran has evolved beyond the russian design. But, and thats the point, the german firm "Diehl BTG Defence" has developed a supercavitation torpedo which is able to intercept and destroy a shkval. That is possible not only because it is faster (around 800km/h) but also able to steer underway.
It is named "Barracuda".
Further information only in german, on this site for eyample: http://www.morgenwelt.de/609.html

Posted by: Frank at April 3, 2006 12:04 PM

Source.
 

XShipRider

Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
144
Reaction score
0
Location
Ohio
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Private
oldreliable67 said:
You're making a couple of pretty strong assumptions with that statement. One, that Iran has enough of these things to make a difference, and two, that we are totally unable to defense them. On the first assumption, if Iran's test was acceptable, they no doubt will be making these things as fast as they can. But we, that is, you and I, have no way of knowing just how long it takes and what is required. If however, this device is at least partly based on the Russian design, which seems highly likely, then our military has a pretty good base of info from which to work.

Secondly, as to whether or not we can mount a successful defense against them, I would guess that whether yes or no, our military will be relatively quiet about it, but at the same time, speak - publicly, that is - in only reassuring tones. Since we have known about the principles since the Russian design became known, it would seem quite unlikely that we haven't studied how to defend against them. Whether our studies bore fruit or not, only the Navy and the DoD know for sure. If we lose a ship or two, we may find out.

Do they pose an incremental risk? Absolutely. But do they signal the end of the Fifth Fleet? Not hardly.


Option Z: Kill the delivery vehicle (ship or aircraft) before it can launch.
Problem solved.
 

MSgt

Stabler Genius
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Joined
Jun 10, 2005
Messages
26,272
Reaction score
11,631
Location
Highlands Ranch, CO
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
Very dangerous of Iran. This is an offensive weapon as is their stealth missile they claimed to have successfully tested last week. They are also determined to continue their quest for nuclear power. Add these events to their religious zealousy and fanaticism and their threats to destroy Israel-in the mean time they have to be gleefully content with encouraging Palestinian suicide bombers-and we have a highly volatile situation.

All it's going to take is one of those missiles striking an American ship and we will retaliate. It will be in defense of our military, our economic securities, and for the better good of the region. Iran knows this.
 
Last edited:

American

Trump Grump Whisperer
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
94,249
Reaction score
32,166
Location
SE Virginia
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
danarhea said:
If we attack Iran, you can say goodbye to most of the Fifth Fleet.
On what do you based this conclusion?
 
Top Bottom