• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Iran orders 99 lashes for woman facing execution, rights group says

Tashah

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Iran orders 99 lashes for woman facing execution, rights group says
By the CNN Wire Staff
September 5, 2010

CNN) -- An Iranian woman who'd already been condemned to death faces another sentence of 99 lashes because of a case of mistaken identity in a photograph, according to foes of the execution. Iranian authorities imposed the sentence after they saw the photo of a woman without a head scarf in a newspaper, the International Committee Against Stoning, a human rights group, said Friday.

In an apology, The Times of London, which ran the photo on its front page on August 28, said the woman was wrongly identified as Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani, who had previously been sentenced to death by stoning for adultery. The Times said the photo actually is of Susan Hejrat, a political activist living in Sweden.

Ashtiani was sentenced to death by stoning after she was convicted of adultery. Iranian judicial authorities say a final verdict in her case has not yet been made, ISNA news agency reported recently. In July, Iran's judiciary said the case was under review. Ashtiani, who is being held in Tabriz, Iran, no longer has visitation rights, the family told CNN.
Source: CNN.com

This barbarity goes from bad to worse. On a related note, for those who are following this case...

August 10, 2010

Brazil has formalized its offer of asylum to Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani, an Iranian woman convicted of adultery and sentenced to death by stoning, Brazilian state-run media said Tuesday. Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva had made a previous offer for asylum, raising Ashtiani's hopes for survival. Brazil's ambassador in Tehran has now officially made the offer at Iran's foreign ministry, according to the state-run news service Agencia Brasil.

On Saturday, Lula addressed the matter in Bogota, Colombia, where he said he had asked Amorim to ask the Brazilian ambassador in Tehran to talk to Iranian authorities about it. "I can't imagine someone being stoned," Lula said. "I can't imagine. That's why I made the request. If there was condition to send her to Brazil, we would receive her with arms wide open."

Ashtiani has said she was "grateful" for Brazil's offer and would "graciously" accept, according to a statement from her son, Sajjad Ashtiani, who has visited his mother in a Tabriz prison. Iran rejected a previous, informal offer, saying Lula lacked sufficient information about the case.
Source: CNN.com

Hardly any news organizations, globally, reported on it back in April when Iran was elected to the UN Commission on Women's Rights.

When Iran was elected to the UN Commission on Women's Rights.

Yeah that whole thing...

Someone at the UN was smokin some serious...

smoking-marijuana.jpg

Hardly any news organizations, globally, reported on it back in April when Iran was elected to the UN Commission on Women's Rights.

What a great post. Here's the link: FOXNews.com - EXCLUSIVE: U.N. Elects Iran to Commission on Women's Rights

You're right. When I Googled to find this ('cause I couldn't believe it) Fox News was the only major media outlet to cover this story. Unbelievable.

The mission of the U.N. Commission on Women's Rights, among other things, includes:
•To support formulation of policy, global standards and norms on gender equality and women’s empowerment at global level, including through analysis and research;
•To promote, support and monitor the implementation of international agreements on gender equality and empowerment of women, including the Beijing Platform for Action, at international and national levels;
•To support the implementation of the Convention on the Elimination of all Forms of Discrimination against Women and its Optional Protocol;
•To promote the mainstreaming of gender perspectives across all sectors, both within and outside the United Nations system;

It is absolutely unbelievable. Just one more reason the United Nations gets not much respect from me.

The U.N. should EXPEL The Islamic Republic of Iran.

What a great post. Here's the link: FOXNews.com - EXCLUSIVE: U.N. Elects Iran to Commission on Women's Rights

You're right. When I Googled to find this ('cause I couldn't believe it) Fox News was the only major media outlet to cover this story. Unbelievable.

The mission of the U.N. Commission on Women's Rights, among other things, includes:

It is absolutely unbelievable. Just one more reason the United Nations gets not much respect from me.

The U.N. should EXPEL The Islamic Republic of Iran.

And more proof that those who don't watch Fox may miss something news worthy.

I hope this woman is allowed to receive asylum in Brazil. This is truly shameful and to be honest, heartbreakingly disgusting. Iran should not be on the council for women's rights. I'm shocked that they even have that position considering women are thrashed and stoned for not wearing an oppressive headscarf. It's even more shameful to see the lack of justice in that country, and the oppressive government that imprisoned and killed protesters during their elections. My heart goes out to this woman and her son, may she have a better free life in Brazil (assuming Iran allows her to leave). When will the UN "strongly condemn" the actions on Iran?

Yep the only two places I saw it were Fox and NY Times. I also heard them talking about it on NPR. I look forward to the day Iran gets out of the grasp of the theocracy.

And so what? So you are trying to turn this tragedy into another anti UN thread?

And so what? So you are trying to turn this tragedy into another anti UN thread?

Dude I have to say. The fact that Iran was appointed to that commission is enough to turn anyone off the UN... Can you blame them?

I mean it is ironic being on that commission, and about to give a woman 99 lashes and a death sentence for "adultery"

There really isn't any defending the U.N. on this one. It was an utterly stupid decision to put Iran there given their treatment of women.

Dude I have to say. The fact that Iran was appointed to that commission is enough to turn anyone off the UN... Can you blame them?

I mean it is ironic being on that commission, and about to give a woman 99 lashes and a death sentence for "adultery"

Yeah, it's almost like electing Libya to be the chairman of the United Nations Human Rights Commission.

Oh, wait...

Start a thread about it then and I will join in and even agree on much.

However this about a stoning of a woman in Iran, according to their laws, regardless of how barbaric they are. Each country has a right to deal with "criminals" in any way they want.

There really isn't any defending the U.N. on this one. It was an utterly stupid decision to put Iran there given their treatment of women.

This thread is NOT about the CENSORED UN lol, get that into your head.. stick to topic!

P.s... self censored the above.. been watch Battlestar Galatica on DVD:..

Last edited:
This thread is NOT about the CENSORED UN lol, get that into your head.. stick to topic!

P.s... self censored the above.. been watch Battlestar Galatica on DVD:..

Right my mistake I misunderstood what you said as something else.

I look forward to the day Iran gets out of the grasp of the theocracy.

Reason why, we must continue to encourage and assist the formation and rise of moderate Islamic regimes. Assist, encourage, foment the rise in personal income and standard of living. Give them something to lose and something to protect so they are less likely to want to go to war.

Don't be silly.

My comment concerned Iran, the global press, AND the UN.

And considering the OP thanked me for it, I think it's pretty much in line with the topic.

Back
Top Bottom