• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Iran executes champion wrestler

Craig234

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Iran executed a champion wrestler, reportedly after torturing a false confession. Critics say he was one of thousands of protesters, and he was targeted as someone famous to try to deter others from protesting. As far as I'm concerned, this is a tyrannical act - the sort trump wishes he could do. I wonder if trump made it worse, more likely for them to execute him.

For once, I am fine with his tweeting, asking Iran to not execute him, saying he'd appreciate it. But how much has trump's hostility to Iran made a plea from him likely to have the opposite effect? His constant attacks on Iran, his assassinating their popular leader, his brutal, deadly sanctions, pretty much made his asking them for something a joke.

Iran executed a champion wrestler, reportedly after torturing a false confession. Critics say he was one of thousands of protesters, and he was targeted as someone famous to try to deter others from protesting. As far as I'm concerned, this is a tyrannical act - the sort trump wishes he could do. I wonder if trump made it worse, more likely for them to execute him.

For once, I am fine with his tweeting, asking Iran to not execute him, saying he'd appreciate it. But how much has trump's hostility to Iran made a plea from him likely to have the opposite effect? His constant attacks on Iran, his assassinating their popular leader, his brutal, deadly sanctions, pretty much made his asking them for something a joke.

You're trying to make Iran executing a wrestler into something about President Trump?

You are mashing two things together in a way that is subject to way too much argument.

Iran is in the middle of yet again another internal conflict between hardliners and more moderates who do not agree with the oppression from their leadership, Iran making a point and an example out of this champion wrestler is not surprising. One thing history, especially regional history, has taught us is that those in power do not like question or competition.

Trump appealing to Twitter I highly doubt made the decision or influenced it in any regard, leadership in Iran gives no ****s for what Trump thinks and has made that clear on numerous occasions without apology.

International, National, and Olympic Wrestling in Iran is like the NFL here.
The Iranian people love our wrestlers that go there to packed stadiums of 50,000 plus.
Our wrestlers, coaches, and fans are mourning this loss.

Trump assassinated Solleimani for Israel. Don't get it twisted. The Iranians consider us evil, because we do evil things to the Mideast, and then pretend like we did those things to protect Americans.

You're trying to make Iran executing a wrestler into something about President Trump?

Everything in Iran is about whoever is our president and US policy toward them.

Human rights abuses in Iran are well documented. This is just another example of their barbaric and disgraceful treatment of their own citizens.

Iran has executed a wrestler accused of murder, defying international appeals for him to be spared. Navid Afkari, 27, was sentenced to death over the murder of a security guard during a wave of anti-government protests in 2018. He said he had been tortured into making a confession. Human rights organisation Amnesty International described Afkari's execution as a "travesty of justice". In a leaked recording released by the group, Afkari says: "If I am executed, I want you to know that an innocent person, even though he tried and fought with all his strength to be heard, was executed."

Afkari's brothers Vahid and Habib were sentenced to 54 and 27 years in prison in the same case, according to human rights activists in Iran. In an audio recording leaked from the prison where he was being held, Afkari had said he had been tortured. His mother said her sons were forced to testify against each other. His lawyer had said on Twitter that, contrary to Iranian news reports, there was no video of the moment of the security guard's killing. He added that footage used as evidence in the case was taken an hour before the crime took place.
Navid Afkari: Iran executes young wrestler despite global outcry - BBC News

Assholes.

I agree with you, it is misguided to blame Trump for teh execution.

That said, Trump blundered mightily with the Iran Nuclear Accord and that blunder no doubt contributed to the execution.

Trump has a travel ban on Iran. It’s really messed up considering we could allow Visas and refugees to assist such people escaping that regime, instead Trump has decided to treat all of the people like unwelcome enemies. Not only that but many of Trump’s other actions have soured the people’s view of the United States as supporting their liberty. The regime is very sick. Trump just looks ignorant and incapable of being a proper leader when it comes to these things.

Trump assassinated Solleimani for Israel. Don't get it twisted. The Iranians consider us evil, because we do evil things to the Mideast, and then pretend like we did those things to protect Americans.

My friends from the ME talk about regional politics like it’s a power struggle between Saudi Arabia and Iran. The United States backs the Saudis, and no middle eastern I know likes that regime. It’s brutal, non democratic, and spreads and protects radical Islam. The religious views coming out of there can get very crazy. Iran isn’t so great either, but they are considered a threat to Saudi influence and power n the region.

America has a lot to face when it comes to supporting Saudi Arabia, and it especially includes Trump because of his campaign against Islam. He embraced the Saudis and vowed to then.

Yes all trump's fault just like it was all trump's fault for Iran shooting down one of its passenger jets. Perhaps one day the democrats will actually pick a side that involves common sense, reason, and at least a modicum of human rights over Orange Man Always Bad!!!

Lots of criminals claim to be innocent. I frankly have no problem with Iran executing rioters, and wish out government would to the same.

My friends from the ME talk about regional politics like it’s a power struggle between Saudi Arabia and Iran. The United States backs the Saudis, and no middle eastern I know likes that regime. It’s brutal, non democratic, and spreads and protects radical Islam. The religious views coming out of there can get very crazy. Iran isn’t so great either, but they are considered a threat to Saudi influence and power n the region.

America has a lot to face when it comes to supporting Saudi Arabia, and it especially includes Trump because of his campaign against Islam. He embraced the Saudis and vowed to then.

I appreciate what you're saying, but we don't have to guess about his motives in the ME. He's the politician who voluntarily tells you what his motives are.

https://www.debatepolitics.com/bias...e-east-protect-israel-not-oil-trump-says.html

We at least get something out of our relationship with Saudi Arabia. Here is a map showing our military bases in the Levant. Notice the number of bases in Saudi Arabia, and contrast that with the 1 single base Israel granted us.

usmiddleeastbases.jpg

TRUMP CARD....

index.png

Pathetic.

Did trump tweet Iran about the person's life and make a request, and do his actions have any effect on how they react?

Human rights abuses in Iran are well documented. This is just another example of their barbaric and disgraceful treatment of their own citizens.

Yes. Too bad we have a president who just makes it worse.

Suddenly you care? Is the life of a "wrestler" worth more than other lives? :giggling:

Did trump tweet Iran about the person's life and make a request, and do his actions have any effect on how they react?

I have no idea.

What I know is that Iran executed a wrestler who was apparently also a protester, and now it's President Trump's fault. What I don't know is why.

Suddenly you care? Is the life of a "wrestler" worth more than other lives? :giggling:

First, it's not sudden, in whatever smear you are attempting with the word. Second, no, it's not worth more than others, it's simply a way of identifying him, and referencing that it did bring in extra resources fighting for him. Your "giggling" emoticon is disrespectful.

What I know is that Iran executed a wrestler who was apparently also a protester, and now it's President Trump's fault. What I don't know is why.

First, it's primarily Iran's fault, not trump's. What IS trump's fault is his horrible diplomatic skill, which has destroyed US influence with Iran which Obama had greatly increased, which pretty much eliminated the ability of the US to influence Iran on this. That includes trump's choosing to make the US an assassin of a top Iranian official on a peace mission, apparently to please Israel and Saudi Arabia, doing their bidding.

Back
Top Bottom