• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

IQ: What's it good for? What's it not good for? Is it legit?

If you can practice the test and get a better score, that means it's testing a skill.
Yes it's testing a skill... The ability of a person to solve abstract problems linguistically. Like any test, if you know the questions and/or answers ahead of time, you can certainly score better on it.

Yes it's testing a skill...

And therefore is not testing intelligence. If it were testing some underlying, innate characteristic of a person, the scores wouldn't change from test to test.

Nobody said anything about "knowing the answers ahead of time," wtf are you talking about

And therefore is not testing intelligence. If it were testing some underlying, innate characteristic of a person, the scores wouldn't change from test to test.

Nobody said anything about "knowing the answers ahead of time," wtf are you talking about
I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the scientific community disagrees with your assessment.

I realize this somehow clashes with your political beliefs, but the fact is, IQ tests are legitimate.

Sorry to disappoint you, but IQ tests have been established as accurate for a very long time.

Whatever it’s testing, it is testing something obviously fluid and subject to change from environmental factors, both among individuals and societies. It is not at all clear if there are any limits to its malleability.

Who are these people supposedly disparaging others for a lower IQ? 95 % of the public probably have no idea what their IQ is, and have likely never been tested.

Not really.

For example, the dumber you are, the less you have to worry about. Seriously. Think about it.
Well, that's not a blanket reality. The deplorable far right base is very emotional, and that rules them, even to the point of committing preposterous acts in the name of provable lies. Many have ended up in prison because of this inability to control oneself or have the facts of reality before acting out.
Of course, there is also the possibility that some know exactly what they're doing and approve of the lies because they seek a nefarious outcome due to prejudice or criminality.

Jordan Peterson answers all 3 of those questions and points out the thing that bothers me the most when it comes to IQ data:

I have no doubt that the IQ data that's been collected for a century now by scientists and psychologists is legitimate. While it shows that there's no difference between men and women when it comes to IQ, it has shown that there are differences between racial and ethnic groups, and that leads to the one problem I have when it comes to IQ data. Far too often people use IQ data as a means to determine the value of a person or group, and I find that reprehensible. As Peterson pointed out, there is no correlation between IQ and virtue, yet there are some who believe people or groups with higher IQs are better than people or group that score lower, and that's the kind of bullshit I can't stand.

I haven't watched the video because I'm on my phone, but I think Peterson's insight about IQ as it relates to job data is fascinating. What can people with IQs of 86 and below do for work? Almost nothing, not even the military.

What can be done for such people? It's 10% of the population. Republicans say theres a job for everyone, and that's wrong. Democrats say people can be trained to do anything, and that's wrong too.

I love intractable problems like that.

I haven't watched the video because I'm on my phone, but I think Peterson's insight about IQ as it relates to job data is fascinating. What can people with IQs of 86 and below do for work? Almost nothing, not even the military.

What can be done for such people? It's 10% of the population. Republicans say theres a job for everyone, and that's wrong. Democrats say people can be trained to do anything, and that's wrong too.

I love intractable problems like that.
That video is more focused on how IQ data shouldn't be used. The other video I posted on post #65 (just released a few days ago) talks more about those things.

The problem with people with a low IQ is a huge one for our society and it's getting worse because we are getting more and more technological every day. This is one of those issues that's never going to be worked out because it's too damned depressing, so most people won't even face up to it, much less discuss it.

Back
Top Bottom