• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

iphones...scourge or blessing?

VanceMack

Less like the tiger...more like the lion.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Anyone have a better solution when it comes to texting or sending emails using the iPhone? The raised buttons on the Blackberry were great but the internet sucked and I need data capabilities 24/7. Maybe I just need more time but those touchpads arent getting bigger and my fingers arent getting any smaller.

I'll slam my junk in a car door before I give Steven Jobs penny number one.

Then again, I don't do myspace, livejournal, facebook, twitter, blah blah blah. I only use my cell phone as a cell phone and don't have a blackberry.

I blame reality TV for the rise in this crap. Suddenly everybody feels like they need to know everything about everyone that isn't their business.

Anyone have a better solution when it comes to texting or sending emails using the iPhone? The raised buttons on the Blackberry were great but the internet sucked and I need data capabilities 24/7. Maybe I just need more time but those touchpads arent getting bigger and my fingers arent getting any smaller.

Have you looked at android or palm phones?

I'll slam my junk in a car door before I give Steven Jobs penny number one.

Then again, I don't do myspace, livejournal, facebook, twitter, blah blah blah. I only use my cell phone as a cell phone and don't have a blackberry.

I blame reality TV for the rise in this crap. Suddenly everybody feels like they need to know everything about everyone that isn't their business.

Ive heard about you...you slam your junk into a lot of things for fun and profit...so thats not much of a threat.

Well...thats what Ive HEARD... ;) Kidding of course...

Seriously...I NEED to be able to access the internet 24/7 for data requirements and in environments that sometimes arent conducive to great reception. The new iPhone internet is SO much better than the Blackberry Bold. its just the typing...crap...

BTW...what do you have against Steve Jobs...not that Im a fan...

Ive heard about you...you slam your junk into a lot of things for fun and profit...so thats not much of a threat.

Well...thats what Ive HEARD... ;) Kidding of course...

Seriously...I NEED to be able to access the internet 24/7 for data requirements and in environments that sometimes arent conducive to great reception. The new iPhone internet is SO much better than the Blackberry Bold. its just the typing...crap...

BTW...what do you have against Steve Jobs...not that Im a fan...

If you need data, the new android and palms can act as a wifi hotspot for your laptop as well.

Have you looked at android or palm phones?

My wife has the android...same problem with the touch screen. I had an HTC Mogul that i loved...screen cracked.

Im limited to ATT service (its literally the only signal provider in several of the areas I go to).

If you need data, the new android and palms can act as a wifi hotspot for your laptop as well.

I might have to look at the Palm phones. I just got into this iPhone. For just about everything it has been perfect.

I am an iPhone owner... and I'm sorry to say, it is awesome. No matter where I am, I can check on what you little buggers are doing on here ;)

iphones and all that ilk are pure evil.

iphone is crap. No need and no desire unless its for work and then I rather have professional functionality like the blackberry. Even when my company gave it to me I told them I dont want the damn thing. Give me a phone without a camera. All I want is a phone. If there is something important, call me. There IS a need for phone WITH a camera in business. I didnt require one and wouldnt need one. But as far as the iPhone.... worthless crap. Its a toy.

Love my iPhone. Ain't seen a Blackberry that can hold a candle to it.

In fairness, I don't think the iphone is crap. A few friends have one and I've had a chance to play around with it. There are some really awesome applications on it that provide a great deal of convenience and accessibility to one's life.

But for me, it's just not necessary. I don't need to be able to access the weather, news, email, social networking, etc etc. 24 hours a day. I am content to have my computer at home and do all that there. My friends are constantly getting updates on their iphones and are checking them. I see people on the bus doing it too. It just seems excessive.

Actually, I was noticing on the bus the other day, in general, how people people are plugged in... to their ipods, gaming devices, iphones, blackberries. I think at least one quarter of the people on the train that day (if not more) had their heads burried in some kind of technology. It's kind of bizarre how things are changing.

I'm going to be blunt, so Iphoners please don't hate me.

My reasons for not liking the iPhone are:

1. Don't like apple, shady business practices.
2. As someone else has said, it's a toy for adults which = waste of money.
3. You can get a free phone from your cell phone company that does most everything the iPhone can do, just not as fancy.
4. Smudge screen. :no:

It's the worst cell phone/pda in the world, save for all the others.

Unfortunatly, this is the best we have.

There IS a need for phone WITH a camera in business. I didnt require one and wouldnt need one. But as far as the iPhone.... worthless crap. Its a toy.

I have to agree with this statement, at least for where I work. The shop floor guys all having cameras on their phones has done more to document quality issues than anything I have previously seen.

Back to the thread: Vance, yeah if you have AT&T, than its either iphone or this MOTOROLA BACKFLIP? ? Wireless from AT&T

Personally, I am planning on getting some sort of android device once my wife finds gainful employment. Either that or a nokia n90. A linux based phone just has more perceived advantages to me.

1. Real keyboard
2. access to the file system
3. it can use an sd card
4. multiple carriers
5. I can swap a sim card if I use at&t or tmobile
6. I can change the battery without voiding the warrenty
7. I won't need Itunes
8. Enough apps for most common needs

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom