• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

iPhone - What is wrong with people???

Dragonfly

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Apparently thousands of people lined up for many many hours before the "release" of the new iPhone 5s and 5c today.

Why the F would anyone do that?

They lined up for the Pet Rock too. Heck, folks show up in droves for Justin Bieber. Shiny things.

Apparently thousands of people lined up for many many hours before the "release" of the new iPhone 5s and 5c today.

Don't you realize how important it is to be the very first one to get a NEW THING?? :shock:

I mean if you aren't among the first ones then you aren't special! You don't get to play with it first! You don't get to show it off and brag to others. It's very very important to be first. LOL ;)

Last edited:
From what I understand the 5s and 5c are NOT new at all.

Although I guess it's good for the economy.....

The 5s is rather new in terms of tech, but the 5c is mostly a redesigned iPhone 5.

I've read plenty of reports that this "release" is the most uninspiring and most yawn-inducing Apple release EVER.

I just don't get why people would do such a thing.

If it's that great, it'll still be great tomorrow, next week, next month, for Christmas.....and without standing inline for hours to get it.

I do understand that some (many?) stand in line to get them just so they can turn around and re-sell them for a profit.

i waited five hours in line for a Chris Cornell concert in 1999. it was general admission; only five people were in line when i got there. we ended up right in front of the stage, and i could read the set list. even the line standing was fun; we stood around and told jokes while the line grew endlessly behind us around the building. it was the best concert experience i've ever had on that side of the stage.

as for the iphone, i waited ten minutes on the verizon bench for my galaxy s4 plus whatever time it took them to fiddle**** around while trying to convince me to drop my unlimited data plan. phones are cool and everything, but i'd rather just wait a week or two and then get the unit with no hassle. general admission concerts, though; i would do that again.

It's called envy with a little lust thrown in. [same as with the $250 Air Jordans]

Commodity fetishism ;)

i waited five hours in line for a Chris Cornell concert in 1999. it was general admission; only five people were in line when i got there. we ended up right in front of the stage, and i could read the set list. even the line standing was fun; we stood around and told jokes while the line grew endlessly behind us around the building. it was the best concert experience i've ever had on that side of the stage.

as for the iphone, i waited ten minutes on the verizon bench for my galaxy s4 plus whatever time it took them to fiddle**** around while trying to convince me to drop my unlimited data plan. phones are cool and everything, but i'd rather just wait a week or two and then get the unit with no hassle. general admission concerts, though; i would do that again.

Did the same thing for Evanescence and don't regret it at all. It was so worth it, and plan on doing it again next time they show up in Atlanta.

Many of the are resellers.. there are reports about people buying a few phones and selling them for a considerable profit on ebay/craigslist. Many of them are Apple fanboys.. they will always do this stupid thing... and others are being paid by Apple to stand there to fill the lines after the whole Verizon launch failure a few years back. It has always been part of the Apple marketing ploy. There are next to no lines outside the the major PR cities of New York, LA, London and so on.

They had a problem back in the day when the iPhone got on Verizon network in the US... there was no lines outside one store in New York. Why? Hype. Was funny to watch the fanboy media of CNBC and Bloomberg going to a Verizon shop in the American Mall or something like that, and the only person outside the store waiting was an employee.

The Apple pre-orders on the 5C have been bad.. very bad. Comments coming out from the big French phone companies are saying pre-orders are in the hundreds... and the reservations for the new iPhones in China have only been around 100k, which if true, is pathetically bad considering there are over 300 million smartphone users in China.

I have no doubt that people will buy the phones, but it will not be many new customers but people upgrading from the 4S and lower and their contracts are up. A few will upgrade from the 5 cause they are fanboys, and even a few might actually be stupid enough to go from the 5 to the 5C.. ITS THE SAME PHONE!!! you morons!!!.. but as for gaining a massive amount of new customers.. I doubt it, especially outside the US. The phones are simply too expensive since in most of the world you have to pay the full price, which is for even the "cheap" iPhone 5C is over 700 bucks in most countries.

I would suspect that Apple would sell between 4-6 million phones over the weekend, but that number should if you believe the Apple propaganda, that number should be much higher since for the first time China, their supposed second biggest market, is on the first day of release. So the real number should be 10+ million considering China. It wont be.

Did the same thing for Evanescence and don't regret it at all. It was so worth it, and plan on doing it again next time they show up in Atlanta.

I've camped out for Ozzy van halen and black sabbath tickets

Does anyone know why it's better than the 4? What extra features does it have? It's just a phone people!!

For fun?

People are into different things and it's no different than camping out for movie or concert tickets. People could just as easily catch a movie on HBO than show up to a crowded theater on opening night but it's often fun to get together with a bunch of excited people with similar interests as your own.

I was in Hong kong for the release of the 4s. Holy crap that was a festival. #status symbol

Oh, I also stood out in the freezing cold to get Mass Effect 3 at midnight. Though I only stood out there for like 45 minutes. Totally worth it.

Please don't "rationalize" waiting in long lines to buy concert tickets with waiting in long lines to buy a product like a damned phone.

A live event is very much different. Just ask the people who wished they could have gotten tickets to Stevie Ray Vaughn.

I have a neighbor who went to the Christiana Mall in Delaware to wait in line all night long for the 8:00am store opening.
Mother, father, and 16 year old daughter. They waited all night long, and by the time they got to store all the new phones were sold out.
They ended up ordering new phones. The daughter skipped school over this. Not sure if the parents called in sick or what.

At any rate - it's almost pathetically stupid for people to react like this ONCE a year over a phone.

IT'S A PHONE.

It'll be there tomorrow, next week, next month. It's not a once-in-a-lifetime event.

Next year - something "better" will be available.

Oh, and by the way, I think the Samsung Galaxy phones are still thought to be much better than any Apple product by many many people.

Oh boy, the new iPhone can read your fingerprints. Hello???? NSA would like this information I think.

One day, terrorists are going to see one of these Apple releases as a very special opportunity I fear.

When I worked for Apple it was insane on iPhone launch days. Some people would camp in the parking decks for days just to be first in line, it was so stupid.

I think the C only stands for color. I think. I have a 4S that does everything I want it to do. I've never been the kind of person that rushes out and gets the latest new thing. I wait 'til it gets cheaper, or Verizon gives it away for free.

I think the C only stands for color. I think. I have a 4S that does everything I want it to do. I've never been the kind of person that rushes out and gets the latest new thing. I wait 'til it gets cheaper, or Verizon gives it away for free.

Perfectly stated.

Although, I thought the C model was supposed to be a "more affordable" version besides just offering colors.

Because waiting in line for tickets to see N'Sync is just too embarrassing

Day 1: The Shallow just have to have it. Wait in line to be the first.

Day 3: Frenzy has long died down, and inventories are plentiful.

Day 4: NOBODY remembers who was cool enough to have one on Day 1.

Back
Top Bottom