• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

IPad tips and tricks

MaggieD

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Got any? I have a few I've found...

To close multiple tabs, click on the "pages" icon in the right-hand corner and flick the pages to the left. Much faster than Xing out. I've found once I get 35 tabs open, my IPad gets loopy.

To get a period at the end of a sentence and capitalize the first letter of the next, simply space twice. A period and initial cap is automatically placed.

If you have trouble inserting YouTube videos, substitute www. For m. Thank you, XFactor.

if you want to search for something on a page, type it in the search bar and scroll all the way down the suggestions. You'll find a Search Page.

If you want an initial cap only, slide your finger from the shift key to the letter. Shift will automatically Unshift after you press the letter.

You can make macros in Keyboard Setup.

That's all I can think of right now.

Got any to share?

Oh, and if you haven't popped for an air printer, you really should. $50 gets you a perfectly adequate one.

Got any? I have a few I've found...

To close multiple tabs, click on the "pages" icon in the right-hand corner and flick the pages to the left. Much faster than Xing out. I've found once I get 35 tabs open, my IPad gets loopy.

To get a period at the end of a sentence and capitalize the first letter of the next, simply space twice. A period and initial cap is automatically placed.

If you have trouble inserting YouTube videos, substitute www. For m. Thank you, XFactor.

if you want to search for something on a page, type it in the search bar and scroll all the way down the suggestions. You'll find a Search Page.

If you want an initial cap only, slide your finger from the shift key to the letter. Shift will automatically Unshift after you press the letter.

You can make macros in Keyboard Setup.

That's all I can think of right now.

Got any to share?

Oh, and if you haven't popped for an air printer, you really should. $50 gets you a perfectly adequate one.

1. Install the Swipe Keyboard instead of using the default Apple, much better**

2. Use Facetime calling in you are in a WiFi zone or have unlimited data, we find the audio much clearer compared to cellular.

(** My daughter beats me, but not by much, using the regular keyboard when texting - but she grew up with texting, I didn't. LOL)

>>>>

If your iPad or iPhone is not connecting to a wifi that has had its password changed do the following. Press the "i" next to the WIFI name, and remove/delete it. Then re-add it. This is a problem that has been in iOS since the first version and Apple still has not fixed and has to do with iOS not correctly updating to the new password. Think this bug has earned me a couple of thousand for a 2 min job... so guess I should thank Apple instead.

Use Google Photos instead of iCloud for photo cloud saving. Free unlimited photos vs Apples limited and expensive iCloud. Disable photo sync to iCloud or expect a lot of moaning from Apple about "you are almost out of space, please buy more". No need, Google gives it away for free. Plus the Google Photos app is by far the best on the market... in fact it is so good, that Apple has stolen almost everything for their new iOS 10 version.. much to the ire of the Google fanboys who want Google to sue Apple over it. An alternative to Google Photos syncing is Yahoos service Flickr, which does not give you free unlimited, but free 1 TB, which frankly is more than enough.

I would also recommend that you always back up your contacts to a GMail or Hotmail/Outlook account.. hell even a Yahoo account. If you dont have one of these email providers and use say an ISP one, then relying on iCloud and the iPad to keep your contacts safe is too big a risk. iCloud is a horrible service that breaks a lot and you cant be sure if it works. I have had many clients where going onto their iCloud account on the web has shown zero contacts or anything else, where as the iOS device says it has saved it. In some cases it has not... which was catastrophic. In other cases it had, but it was a nervous 10 minutes to find out.. So back up your contacts on alternative services always.

As for printers.. if you have one, then check if the manufacture has an app. Apple has to approve all printers for its AirPrint, which means quite a lot of printers are not approved because the companies refuse to pay the fee to get it approved. This is especially for older models. To bypass this, they have created an app that makes it possible to print from an iPad or iPhone regardless. It is a bit more annoying but it is cheaper than buying a new printer... especially if you have a rather expensive older one.

There are more, but dont have time atm :)

If your iPad or iPhone is not connecting to a wifi that has had its password changed do the following. Press the "i" next to the WIFI name, and remove/delete it. Then re-add it. This is a problem that has been in iOS since the first version and Apple still has not fixed and has to do with iOS not correctly updating to the new password. Think this bug has earned me a couple of thousand for a 2 min job... so guess I should thank Apple instead.

Use Google Photos instead of iCloud for photo cloud saving. Free unlimited photos vs Apples limited and expensive iCloud. Disable photo sync to iCloud or expect a lot of moaning from Apple about "you are almost out of space, please buy more". No need, Google gives it away for free. Plus the Google Photos app is by far the best on the market... in fact it is so good, that Apple has stolen almost everything for their new iOS 10 version.. much to the ire of the Google fanboys who want Google to sue Apple over it. An alternative to Google Photos syncing is Yahoos service Flickr, which does not give you free unlimited, but free 1 TB, which frankly is more than enough.

I would also recommend that you always back up your contacts to a GMail or Hotmail/Outlook account.. hell even a Yahoo account. If you dont have one of these email providers and use say an ISP one, then relying on iCloud and the iPad to keep your contacts safe is too big a risk. iCloud is a horrible service that breaks a lot and you cant be sure if it works. I have had many clients where going onto their iCloud account on the web has shown zero contacts or anything else, where as the iOS device says it has saved it. In some cases it has not... which was catastrophic. In other cases it had, but it was a nervous 10 minutes to find out.. So back up your contacts on alternative services always.

As for printers.. if you have one, then check if the manufacture has an app. Apple has to approve all printers for its AirPrint, which means quite a lot of printers are not approved because the companies refuse to pay the fee to get it approved. This is especially for older models. To bypass this, they have created an app that makes it possible to print from an iPad or iPhone regardless. It is a bit more annoying but it is cheaper than buying a new printer... especially if you have a rather expensive older one.

There are more, but dont have time atm :)

I always smile at your constant deconstruction of the Apple brand. Personally, I'm an Android fan through and through, but in the real world surrounded by Apple fans I never hear them complain about anything to do with their OS/Storage or hardware. Strange that.

I always smile at your constant deconstruction of the Apple brand. Personally, I'm an Android fan through and through, but in the real world surrounded by Apple fans I never hear them complain about anything to do with their OS/Storage or hardware. Strange that.

Complaint:

Apple storage sucks. The fact that you can't add an SD card to an iPhone or iPad, I had a Samsung phone prior to my current iPhone 6s and that's one thing that seriously sucks. I like the hardware, I like the OS for a phone - but I really think expanded storage should be an option.

>>>>

It is because they call people like me to fix stuff for them :) Also most iOS users actually dont do much on their expensive items to warrant any going into the OS settings. They get their email set up at the Apple store and that is that. When they get the message "not enough storage", most go to the Apple store and they have a standard answer.. buy a new item with more storage or buy more iCloud storage.

The OP pointed out the "closing of apps". That has been in iOS for donkey years and yes now they have made it even easier (copying Android btw), but I would bet 90+% of iOS users have no clue it exists. Hell a large amount dont even understand that there is a mute button on the side of the iPhone! .. which btw looks to be removed on the next version for some reason.. It is one of the only things I like about the iPhone...

But regardless my advice is ALLWAYS have a way out of any operating system or computer system. Dont bind yourself to one OS or system, and especially dont bind yourself that are exclusive to certain OS/devices. Take Facetime.. yes it is great, but it is Apple exclusive. That makes it extremely bad. Use Whatsapp, Facebook messenger, Skype.. anything that is cross platform.. stay away from exclusive crap, as it ends up costing you a ton of money in the long run and a lot of heartache. What Apple and other operators try to do, is the exact same as a drug dealer does.. they get you hooked and getting off the drug is either hurtful, time consuming or expensive (or all three). Apple is the absolute worse in trying to bind their customers to their devices.. so bad that they actually speculate in it.

How to fix Apple's iMessage bug - CNET

I believe they have now stopped the above practice .. cause someone started to sue, but the very fact that this was built into the OS shows how Apple operates. iMessage is a great service, but it is Apple exclusive, which kinda leaves out 80+% of the market.

I always recommend having your email contacts in several online or even off line (on an USB stick), because there is nothing I can do as an IT guy, to save your contacts if they are destroyed on a broken device or locked behind an encrypted service that you cant remember the password too (and was set up 10 years ago).. I just had a client who had forgotten their Apple ID password and Apple refused to reset the password for some idiotic reason.. so they were screwed basically. No back ups and no access to the iCloud. So they basically had to start over. It was heartbreaking but nothing I could do, as Apple refused to reset the Apple ID password due to "suspicious activity". But I have also had the same problem with Google.. and dont get me going on how Microsoft handles changes in the security settings for their accounts.. FFS, having to wait 30 days to change a backup email or phone number.. wtf?

But regardless Apple, Google, Yahoo.. who ever it is, you have to be sure that your data does not "poof" just because your device dies, and my experience when dealing with Apple is.. dont trust their iCloud, and back up everything on alternative methods. Now saying that, I do it even with Google. My Gmail contacts is backed up with Samsung and Microsoft. So only an nuclear war or amnesia will prevent me from accessing my contacts :) I even back up my pictures to both Google and Microsoft.. just in case.

Complaint:

Apple storage sucks. The fact that you can't add an SD card to an iPhone or iPad, I had a Samsung phone prior to my current iPhone 6s and that's one thing that seriously sucks. I like the hardware, I like the OS for a phone - but I really think expanded storage should be an option.

>>>>

There is something out now..

The usual i tax is on the device, but it solves a hell of a lot of problems. And you can add a battery pack as well I believe, so more storage and more battery.. both of which the iPhone needs badly.

Complaint:

>>>>

They sell hard drives for iphones, but they are not convenient, apple just wants you to buy their next model phone, and expandable storage could keep users from ditching their older full phones by storing on sd, rather than transferring to itunes to your computer and back again.

Back
Top Bottom