• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

iPAD is Crap

The Giant Noodle

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
To spend $500 for a crap iPad you can get a kick-ass laptop / notebook.
This solves it! APPLE BUYERS = IGNORANT BUYERS

Repeat after me, "Never buy he first version of most technologies, especially Apple's."

:prof

AMEN! I never understood the whole Apple customer. They use almost the exact same hardware as PC's, only the OS is different, yet there is usually a 35% premium for the Apple? It's the same philosophy that IBM employed and what eventually got them to dump their consumer based business.

And to the person knocking Microsoft. I'm no fan boy, but without Microsoft, PC's would still cost around $5K. :)

Tim-

In other news, the sky is blue. Thanks for tuning in!

It's ignorant to think people use the iPad as a laptop substitute.

I own a very nice Windows laptop. Recently, After much thought, I purchased an iPad. After over fifteen years of using Microsoft products, this is my first Apple one. This awesome device has replaced 80% of my laptop use. Apple really 'gets' the way I like to use computers. It's probably not for everyone, but I am thoroughly enjoying mine.

The Ipad display is 9.7 inches while a netbook's is usually 10.1.

A netbook has more usb ports, similar battery life, better storage, more memory, more flexibility, similar wifi, a greater variety of software, is about 1 lb heavier, a faster processor, can burn a cd with attachments, has a real keyboard, and costs less.

I don't see the advantage of an ipad.

Also, I have ubuntu installed on my wife's netbook and she loves it. The battery life is 9 hours with a 6cell, she can use it for her facebooking, mahjong, email, and browsing. But its snappier and uses fewer system resources than xp home. I don't think you can do that with an ipad.

Last edited:
The Ipad display is 9.7 inches while a netbook's is usually 10.1.

A netbook has more usb ports, similar battery life, better storage, more memory, more flexibility, similar wifi, a greater variety of software, is about 1 lb heavier, a faster processor, can burn a cd with attachments, has a real keyboard, and costs less.

I don't see the advantage of an ipad.

Also, I have ubuntu installed on my wife's netbook and she loves it. The battery life is 9 hours with a 6cell, she can use it for her facebooking, mahjong, email, and browsing. But its snappier and uses fewer system resources than xp home. I don't think you can do that with an ipad.
Doesn't sound like an iPad would have any advantages for you. It certainly does for me.

Doesn't sound like an iPad would have any advantages for you. It certainly does for me.

I am glad that you found a use for it, but when I compare the technical specs for the two, I just cannot find any advantages over a netbook, except size and weight (and its not really much of a difference since they will both be in a bag anyway)

It's a content delivery device. If you do not need content fed to you, it won't make much sense to own one.

I've considered getting an ipad since I love, love, love my iphone. But, the reason I am not getting an ipad is because I have an iphone. As far as I can see, my iphone does everything the ipad does AND it's a phone. So, I just don't see the need for the redundancy.

The ipad is really a large iphone without the phone capability. I never liked apple products, but the 3g capability was the highlight of my summer road trip (from S Indiana to South Florida to Southern California). Not only could i surf the web while my friends were driving, but i was able to use google maps to find the nearest gas stations, restaurants, Targets (this was critical), etc....

Not only that, when it first came out, it was like a puppy. All kinds of girls and their mothers (literally) would come up to me in coffee shops and ask, "is that the ipad, omg it's soooooo cool!"

I am glad that you found a use for it, but when I compare the technical specs for the two, I just cannot find any advantages over a netbook, except size and weight (and its not really much of a difference since they will both be in a bag anyway)
Well, for example, I like reading eBooks on it. Other devices 'capable' of doing so seem cumbersome to me, or not big enough, or too heavy (other than the kindle and such, but then I couldn't have browsed the web on a kindle).

As I said, I have a nice big windows laptop. I didn't want a mini laptop since I would use said laptop for any such needs. I wanted a device that I could use to read books, browse the web, play simple games, do short emails, occasional posts on forums (not right now, my friend insists on hogging the iPad when he visits). I love the touch screen for all these purposes.

Using the Apple designed user interface gives much satisfaction. They design interaction software that is very comfortable for me to use. I have heard others say the opposite. Everyone is different, I would suppose. I don't buy their actual computers for the reason that many other don't: less available software.

All I can say is, try it out, evaluate what it can do for you. If it doesn't seem like you would use it much, don't buy one. But, don't start thinking others are fools for having a different experience. Those who do just show their lack of imagination, among other unattractive faults.

Well, for example, I like reading eBooks on it. Other devices 'capable' of doing so seem cumbersome to me, or not big enough, or too heavy (other than the kindle and such, but then I couldn't have browsed the web on a kindle).

As I said, I have a nice big windows laptop. I didn't want a mini laptop since I would use said laptop for any such needs. I wanted a device that I could use to read books, browse the web, play simple games, do short emails, occasional posts on forums (not right now, my friend insists on hogging the iPad when he visits). I love the touch screen for all these purposes.

Using the Apple designed user interface gives much satisfaction. They design interaction software that is very comfortable for me to use. I have heard others say the opposite. Everyone is different, I would suppose. I don't buy their actual computers for the reason that many other don't: less available software.

All I can say is, try it out, evaluate what it can do for you. If it doesn't seem like you would use it much, don't buy one. But, don't start thinking others are fools for having a different experience. Those who do just show their lack of imagination, among other unattractive faults.

You have money to burn because you just bought a crap-tastic netbook without a keyboard. $500 for what a $200 netbook could do.... and do it better. Im in the IT industry and everyone that knows technology knows that iPad is a joke. It makes me mad and sad that people think they have something great when in fact they got scammed and they wasted their money. Its like people that but crap from infomercials at 2am. Im just nodding my head at the TV at what a scam it is. :doh Being can be so ignorant on these types of things when they have such little working knowledge of technology. They get those knives they bought at 2am and take them out to use them and discovered they not just WAY overpaid for the knives, but they dont measure up. But to hide their embarassement they just tell everyone else how great they are.

I wanted a device that I could use to read books, browse the web, play simple games, do short emails, occasional posts on forums

Do you actually KNOW how to use a laptop? Or what one is? Because they do all of that. In fact they do that MUCH better than a iPad.... and (get this)... they have a keyboard too! :shock: :lol:

Last edited:

I never suggested anyone was a fool. I just tend to look at computing devices from a technical perspective.

You have money to burn because you just bought a crap-tastic netbook without a keyboard.
I didn't want a keyboard attached to my "netbook" as you call it.

$500 for what a $200 netbook could do.... and do it better.
Do it better as you define better. You should buy a netbook, then. I bought an iPad, and am not wishing I had a netbook.

Im in the IT industry and everyone that knows technology knows that iPad is a joke.
OMG, you are incredibly amusing. I have been in IT for 10 years. That friend I mentioned, the one who hogs my iPad because he loves it so much, he's been a computer engineer for nearly 30 years. Are you under the impression that a significant number of iPad enthusiasts would recommend iPads for a significant number of business purposes? Cuz, I wouldn't. I would, however, recommend one for laying back on the couch and consuming web and other electronic content, as well as some light web interaction or game playing. The simplicity of the experience is very satisfying... and again, is satisfying enough that it has absorbed 80% of my laptop usage.

It makes me mad and sad that people think they have something great when in fact they got scammed and they wasted their money. Its like people that but crap from infomercials at 2am. Im just nodding my head at the TV at what a scam it is. :doh Being can be so ignorant on these types of things when they have such little working knowledge of technology. They get those knives they bought at 2am and take them out to use them and discovered they not just WAY overpaid for the knives, but they dont measure up. But to hide their embarassement they just tell everyone else how great they are.
I really do think that the joke is on you, rather. I have been buying personal electronics for 20 years, and have often been on the bleeding edge. Never have I been embarrassed by a useless purchase. I simply re-sell the item if it turns out bad. Sure, I lose a little bit of money, but I'm not embarrassed by it in the least. I love devices. I am also much better in recent years at selecting them for myself. I took my time with this one. Assessed what I wanted to do with it. Analyzed the value, to me, of being able to do the things I wanted, and compared that to the price of the item. Obviously, I concluded that it was worth it, for me.

Do you actually KNOW how to use a laptop? Or what one is? Because they do all of that. In fact they do that MUCH better than a iPad.... and (get this)... they have a keyboard too! :shock: :lol:
Are you seriously thinking you're going to bait me? Master baiters have attempted to do so before, but they only occasionally succeed.

Laptops do many things much better than iPads. By certain definitions of 'better', they even do all of the things we've talked about 'better'. What I realized is that my definition of 'better' fit the iPad's definition of 'better'. I have turned out to be completely correct, for myself. You have obviously decided that 'better' for you does not square with the iPad. It really is ok for us to have different things that we individually find to be 'better'. You are still a valid person with your experience and idea of better. There is no reason for you to feel insecure about your notions of what a satisfying technological device is, for yourself. You don't need to put other people down in order to feel good about yourself. I know I seem compelling and something to aspire to, but you really are good enough. Would you like the number to a good counselor? I'd be happy to research one for you...

I never suggested anyone was a fool. I just tend to look at computing devices from a technical perspective.

Fair enough. I kind of think of it as an appliance rather than a computer. Sort of like a TV, or GPS, or Cell Phone. It didn't replace my laptop, it simply usurped a majority of the functions I use a laptop for. Nevertheless, I would own a laptop first, but I would give up either of these devices only over my dead body!!

I didn't want a keyboard attached to my "netbook" as you call it.Do it better as you define better. You should buy a netbook, then. I bought an iPad, and am not wishing I had a netbook.

OMG, you are incredibly amusing. I have been in IT for 10 years. That friend I mentioned, the one who hogs my iPad because he loves it so much, he's been a computer engineer for nearly 30 years. Are you under the impression that a significant number of iPad enthusiasts would recommend iPads for a significant number of business purposes? Cuz, I wouldn't. .

OK. You spent $500+ on a toy. So just call it that. Its a whimsical toy! Yeeesh :roll:

I would, however, recommend one for laying back on the couch and consuming web and other electronic content, as well as some light web interaction or game playing. The simplicity of the experience is very satisfying... and again, is satisfying enough that it has absorbed 80% of my laptop usage.

With ALLLLLL the other things you can use while on the couch like a PS3 for $250. I question why you would spend 2x the amount on something that is duplicating the functionality of a computer you already have.

I really do think that the joke is on you, rather. I have been buying personal electronics for 20 years, and have often been on the bleeding edge. Never have I been embarrassed by a useless purchase. I simply re-sell the item if it turns out bad. Sure, I lose a little bit of money, but I'm not embarrassed by it in the least. I love devices. I am also much better in recent years at selecting them for myself. I took my time with this one. Assessed what I wanted to do with it. Analyzed the value, to me, of being able to do the things I wanted, and compared that to the price of the item. Obviously, I concluded that it was worth it, for me.

Ok. You bought it because you thought it was cool. Its a nifty toy that cost $500+ dollars. Hey if you have that money to blow on that, all the better I suppose. I just dont want to see people buy the thing because they think it is better in any way than a netbook. I reallllly hate when people get taken in by the marketing of inferior product but then pay a premium price.

Last edited:
You have money to burn because you just bought a crap-tastic netbook without a keyboard. $500 for what a $200 netbook could do.... and do it better. Im in the IT industry and everyone that knows technology knows that iPad is a joke. It makes me mad and sad that people think they have something great when in fact they got scammed and they wasted their money. Its like people that but crap from infomercials at 2am. Im just nodding my head at the TV at what a scam it is. :doh Being can be so ignorant on these types of things when they have such little working knowledge of technology. They get those knives they bought at 2am and take them out to use them and discovered they not just WAY overpaid for the knives, but they dont measure up. But to hide their embarassement they just tell everyone else how great they are.

A lot of people in IT forget one thing: user satisfaction. They get so caught up in what they can tinker with, the functionality, and price/performance calculation that they simply forget the idea that if it is enjoyable to the end user, they should not proceed to knock it too much.

Personally, I could not do much with the iPad. I dislike it as a reader, I have little use for the App store, and what little use I could think of it was as a Home Theater remote. Thus, I do not purchase it. However, I will not knock it as a product.

Last edited:
OK. You spent $500+ on a toy. So just call it that. Its a whimsical toy! Yeeesh :roll:
Ok. Its a toy. So is my laptop in that case. Did you think someone, any significant number of people, were claiming that they aren't a toy? I am not sure what the marketing was for them because I don't watch TV, nor did I see any print ads for them. I read a lot of articles, both pro and con, though. But, I can't imagine very many people thinking they are anything but a toy. There are some limited business purposes that I think they might be applied to, as well as some limited home productivity things that I have applied mine to, but essentially it is definitely a toy. Did you have a point about it being a toy?

With ALLLLLL the other things you can use while on the couch like a PS3 for $250. I question why you would spend 2x the amount on something that is duplicating the functionality of a computer you already have.
As you well know that I have said already, it is performing those functions, for me, in a better manner than the computer I already have. You say you work in IT. Interesting. Here is how I approach the needs of my clients: First, I go to them and listen, analyze, ask questions, listen, ask more questions, listen, analyze, ask more questions and listen. The reason for all the listening is so that they need for me to determine the solution that is best for them. Not the solution I mistakenly believe applies to them because it has worked for other people. This is how I help them obtain the best value for their dollars. You don't seem like the kind of person who listens very much.

Ok. You bought it because you thought it was cool.
No, I bought it because it performs its functions well, for me.
Its a nifty toy that cost $500+ dollars.
It is definitely a nifty toy that costs 500+ dollars. So is a netbook, for the most part, when used in a home. If I had bought a netbook, it certainly would have been as a toy, in any case. A nifty toy, but one that fulfilled its purposes, for me, at an inferior level.

Hey if you have that money to blow on that, all the better I suppose. I just dont want to see people buy the thing because they think it is better in any way than a netbook. I reallllly hate when people get taken in by the marketing of inferior product but then pay a premium price.
I want people to buy whatever product will best fulfill their toy wants. I really hate it when people get taken in by people who have a hammer and think that every problem to be solved is a nail. As I said in an earlier post - complete lack of imagination.

Ok. You bought it because you thought it was cool. Its a nifty toy that cost $500+ dollars. Hey if you have that money to blow on that, all the better I suppose. I just dont want to see people buy the thing because they think it is better in any way than a netbook. I reallllly hate when people get taken in by the marketing of inferior product but then pay a premium price.

A Playstation 3 will have a difficult time completing many of the same tasks (much to my own internal frustration, sadly..at least I use it more for such content than the Xbox 360, but less than my PC). It has a browser, but that browser is limited as well. It has a controller, but that controller has its own misgivings. It is also distanced, whereas the iPad is quite intimate in proximity.

I would strongly recommend you not buy one.

I wouldnt buy one...not without USB ports. and Im not a fan of the flat screen touch keyboard. But I know several people who love theirs, so to each their own.

What I DONT understand is the incessant bashing of Apple products.

I really do find it confounding how some kinds of people get upset, escalating to angry, when other people have things they wouldn't buy themselves. It is perplexing how those people believe that it is their mission in life to somehow 'cure' people of their misguided tastes. I do finally have to laugh, really, when I see it because what else can you do?

Take this whole thread, for a perfect example. The OP is definitely hostile. That hostility finds its excuse in the 'protection of the ignorant folks susceptible to marketing ploys' apparently. I have to ask, what technological device doesn't have a large part of its following coming from such easily led people? No, the real motivation must lie elsewhere.

I wish we had a team of researchers to apply themselves to this fine specimen we see before us.

I really do find it confounding how some kinds of people get upset, escalating to angry, when other people have things they wouldn't buy themselves. It is perplexing how those people believe that it is their mission in life to somehow 'cure' people of their misguided tastes. I do finally have to laugh, really, when I see it because what else can you do?

Take this whole thread, for a perfect example. The OP is definitely hostile. That hostility finds its excuse in the 'protection of the ignorant folks susceptible to marketing ploys' apparently. I have to ask, what technological device doesn't have a large part of its following coming from such easily led people? No, the real motivation must lie elsewhere.

I wish we had a team of researchers to apply themselves to this fine specimen we see before us.

And Apple users as somehow technologically ignorant. Which is ridiculous. There are just as many ignorant Windows users percentage wise as Apple users. I've been using Apple computers for most of my life, but also am a dual user. I picked my iPods because of what applications and OS's I was using, the enjoyment of the sound signature of the iPod, and because I enjoyed the AAC codec. I've been a technology nerd (albeit not a tinker nerd) all of my life.

You are spot on. The "humble servant" attitude of the OP is obnoxious and truth of the claim is full of bile.

Back
Top Bottom