• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

iPAD is Crap

Nice Example as an horrible purchase, but I look at all the red crosses in the comparison, and none but a few points were interesting for me. Main drawback I had before purchasing was lack of flash support, but at the end, it is less problematic than I thought (website tends to adapt).

I just listed all my needs:

- Web surfing
- Video
- papers
- extreme portability, but with a display that don't kill your eyes (smartphones/ipod touch have a screen too small)
- No Keyboard (ain't gonna type more than a search in google)

all other needs I have (games, video/photo, mail, office work) are performed on my desktop.

And again, everything can be performed with a notebook for less $$, but FOR ME (and maybe me only), interface speed/smoothness really were worth the extra bucks.

P.S.: I still despise Jobs/apple mentality :p

Green

Oh and something I forgot to add:

Something that surprised me also was the quality of some apps :mrgreen:

For example, now I cannot live without bloomberg to watch all my stocks, or sketchbook pro, to have a nice little painting table.

-Green

Nice Example as an horrible purchase, but I look at all the red crosses in the comparison, and none but a few points were interesting for me. Main drawback I had before purchasing was lack of flash support, but at the end, it is less problematic than I thought (website tends to adapt).

I just listed all my needs:

- Web surfing
- Video
- papers
- extreme portability, but with a display that don't kill your eyes (smartphones/ipod touch have a screen too small)
- No Keyboard (ain't gonna type more than a search in google)

all other needs I have (games, video/photo, mail, office work) are performed on my desktop.

And again, everything can be performed with a notebook for less $$, but FOR ME (and maybe me only), interface speed/smoothness really were worth the extra bucks.

P.S.: I still despise Jobs/apple mentality :p

Green

OK. :shrug: You like it.
But just remember, it eats your soul! :prof

Looking forward to the Samsung Galaxy and the other ones that are coming out.. Better size imo, plus Android or Windows 7 > IPad OS.

Looking forward to the Samsung Galaxy and the other ones that are coming out.. Better size imo, plus Android or Windows 7 > IPad OS.

Galaxy Tab is a bit over-hyped ATM. I am waiting for the Archos 7" and 10.1" tablets to come out (running Android 2.2 Froyo). The 7" will come in an 8GB model for I think $299 and also in a 250GB model for $349. It will also have tethering, where you can connect your phone by USB and use its data plan (provided it has one).

Galaxy Tab is a bit over-hyped ATM. I am waiting for the Archos 7" and 10.1" tablets to come out (running Android 2.2 Froyo). The 7" will come in an 8GB model for I think $299 and also in a 250GB model for $349. It will also have tethering, where you can connect your phone by USB and use its data plan (provided it has one).

Over-hyped? compared to what?

Over-hyped? compared to what?

Other tablets that are coming out. I hear way more about the Galaxy Tab than say, Intel's Pineview N450. Windows 7 with a solid state drive. Or even the Tegra 2 by nVIDIA. I already think the Archos 7" and 10.1" have better specs than both the iPad and the Galaxy Tab. More space, better processor, and tethering.

Other tablets that are coming out. I hear way more about the Galaxy Tab than say, Intel's Pineview N450. Windows 7 with a solid state drive. Or even the Tegra 2 by nVIDIA. I already think the Archos 7" and 10.1" have better specs than both the iPad and the Galaxy Tab. More space, better processor, and tethering.

Yes, but compared to IPad, it is nothing. Also the reason that it gets more "hype" is the fact that the Samsung Galaxy phone is considered the best smart phone on the market at the moment.

Yes, but compared to IPad, it is nothing. Also the reason that it gets more "hype" is the fact that the Samsung Galaxy phone is considered the best smart phone on the market at the moment.

I think most would believe the Droid2 or the G2 are the best smart phones out on the market. There are different types of Galaxy S phones (Vibrant, Captivate, etc).

The Archos is lighter, thinner, and has more screen space than the iPad. It supports more audio and video codecs than the iPad. It has a legstand! It has tethering, something that the Galaxy Tab and the iPad do not have. The iPad doesn't even have an HDMI out port.

Also, the Archos is only $300. Get the 7" with a 250 GB HD for $350. Much more bang for your buck than the iPad.

And just as a small example of what a horrible purchase a iPad is..... iPad vs HP Mini Netbook | Ryan Kearney

A better comparison would have been the iPad vs the HP slate... but they killed the HP slate off because its battery life was horrible in comparison. Now there are rumours of another HP Slate - the HP Slate 500 but HP is being very coy (if this device is real) about battery life.

Can't blame HP for trying - but for build quality and everything else in content consumption devices, I'd still go with an iPad. Say what you will about iPads - without it the android and rival slate market wouldn't exist.

Nice Example as an horrible purchase, but I look at all the red crosses in the comparison, and none but a few points were interesting for me. Main drawback I had before purchasing was lack of flash support, but at the end, it is less problematic than I thought (website tends to adapt)--

Flash (under Adobe) has never been optimised to run properly or as efficiently on Apple products. If Apple had supported Flash then you would instantly halve (or more) the iPad's battery life. Macromedia originally developed Flash out of the "Director" application and these two applications were both optimised for Apple multimedia content providers. Move on 10-20 years and Adobe took over Macromedia and did a botch job on supporting further Flash optimisation for Apple products.

Most of the internet blamed Apple when the iPad came out - however, Flash runs hot on a standard desktop Mac computer and Adobe STILL can't be bothered to get it to run properly for Mac users.

Last point on Flash - didn't many companies try going "Flash only" with websites in the 90's? Most users downloads slowed to a crawl on graphics intensive websites and user pressure soon forced websites to adapt and offer non Flash versions of their content. There's now too many iPad owners for online stores to think they should only produce Flash based content.

I think most would believe the Droid2 or the G2 are the best smart phones out on the market.

Actually I dunno what the Droid2 and G2 are. They are products for the American market. Outside the US, they are called something different, and I have to to figure out 100% what is what. I think Droid2 is HTC HD2 but not sure.. and that has not been released just yet. As for the G2.. no clue.

There are different types of Galaxy S phones (Vibrant, Captivate, etc).

Yes, but I am talking about the top model. In the rest of the world it is called Samsung Galaxy S I9000 or something like that. And if I read my Engadget right, the Vibrant and Captivate are not even on the market yet.

The Archos is lighter, thinner, and has more screen space than the iPad. It supports more audio and video codecs than the iPad. It has a legstand! It has tethering, something that the Galaxy Tab and the iPad do not have. The iPad doesn't even have an HDMI out port.

Also, the Archos is only $300. Get the 7" with a 250 GB HD for $350. Much more bang for your buck than the iPad.

Yea sounds nice. Also Galaxy Tab runs Android 2.2 which does have tethering.

Back
Top Bottom