• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

iPAD is Crap

I would strongly recommend you not buy one.

I wouldnt buy one...not without USB ports. and Im not a fan of the flat screen touch keyboard. But I know several people who love theirs, so to each their own.

What I DONT understand is the incessant bashing of Apple products.

Because they are very bashable. When someone comes out with crap and people buy it based on marketing hype and pay a premium for inferior gadgets, how can you not understand why people "bash" it. Its like asking why people bash the Pinto or make fun of infomercials. When they come out with something that really IS good I will praise it.
This specific product is REALLY aggitating. It inferior as a book reader. Its inferior as a computer. Its inferior as a portable game gadget (unless you play the simple graphics-lite ones). Its not a phone. It doesnt have a keyboard.

I went to the Apple store and played with it. Asked question about it to the floor sales reps. and found it totally inferior to the iphone except for the larger screen.
The chick working there said she bought one and I asked why. "Well.... I can lay around and read books". :? You are going to spend $500 for a thing to read BOOKS?? How about buying the freakin BOOK! Its about as heavy if not heavier than a booK! Plus you still have to.... BUY THE BOOK! Charge up the thing. Its very breakable unlike a book.

What if I came out with a product where you can read a book. But its $500 and you have to charge it up or plug it in to read, they are not smaller than a book. Not lighter than a book. They arent durable either. OH! but you can play simple games on it and look at photos on it and look at maps. :roll:

Do you SEE how foolish it is to throw your money away on these things? ;)

You are spot on. The "humble servant" attitude of the OP is obnoxious and truth of the claim is full of bile.

Youre just mad because you dont have a leg to stand on in your defense. I have facts and you just decide to bash me with OPINION.
I feel it my duty to inform uninformed potential buyers of inferior overpriced items. Now if you CANT tell me how a iPad is better than a netbook I suggest that you go research the two. (then you can comeback empty-handed and thus agree with me)

Last edited:
I own a very nice Windows laptop. Recently, After much thought, I purchased an iPad. After over fifteen years of using Microsoft products, this is my first Apple one. This awesome device has replaced 80% of my laptop use. Apple really 'gets' the way I like to use computers. It's probably not for everyone, but I am thoroughly enjoying mine.

I think bottom line should be - it's your money. Buy what you want. :)

I don't want to argue with you. You are beyond reasonable discussion. I don't even like the iPad and yet you are acting hostile to anyone who doesn't share your absolute disgust with Apple.

Because they are very bashable. When someone comes out with crap and people buy it based on marketing hype and pay a premium for inferior gadgets, how can you not understand why people "bash" it. Its like asking why people bash the Pinto or make fun of infomercials. When they come out with something that really IS good I will praise it.
This specific product is REALLY aggitating. It inferior as a book reader. Its inferior as a computer. Its inferior as a portable game gadget (unless you play the simple graphics-lite ones). Its not a phone. It doesnt have a keyboard.

I went to the Apple store and played with it. Asked question about it to the floor sales reps. and found it totally inferior to the iphone except for the larger screen.
The chick working there said she bought one and I asked why. "Well.... I can lay around and read books". :? You are going to spend $500 for a thing to read BOOKS?? How about buying the freakin BOOK! Its about as heavy if not heavier than a booK! Plus you still have to.... BUY THE BOOK! Charge up the thing. Its very breakable unlike a book.

What if I came out with a product where you can read a book. But its $500 and you have to charge it up or plug it in to read, they are not smaller than a book. Not lighter than a book. They arent durable either. OH! but you can play simple games on it and look at photos on it and look at maps. :roll:

Do you SEE how foolish it is to throw your money away on these things? ;)

Youre just mad because you dont have a leg to stand on in your defense. I have facts and you just decide to bash me with OPINION.
I feel it my duty to inform uninformed potential buyers of inferior overpriced items. Now if you CANT tell me how a iPad is better than a netbook I suggest that you go research the two. (then you can comeback empty-handed and thus agree with me)

I think maybe the point you are missing is how you come across...the whole..."Loook at me...Im SMART and they are DUMB and neener neener neener..." Its kinda childish...and not in that awww cute kind of way...

Why do you GIVE a damn what others spend their money on? If it works for THEM...then good for them. And BTW...it DOES work QUITE WELL for some of them.

I think maybe the point you are missing is how you come across...the whole..."Loook at me...Im SMART and they are DUMB and neener neener neener..." Its kinda childish...and not in that awww cute kind of way...

Why do you GIVE a damn what others spend their money on? If it works for THEM...then good for them. And BTW...it DOES work QUITE WELL for some of them.

Well I cant tell someone how to feel on my rating a product(s). If you dont agree with me.. Okie dokie. If you do thats peachy too. But I really want to let folks know that marketing flub doesnt get you anything better. Its like going to a dealership to get your oil changed, air filter and cabin air filter changed and pay $120 OR you could either do it yourself for $35 or to a mechanic shop for $50. It just is irritating that people STILL will go to the dealership.

I don't want to argue with you. You are beyond reasonable discussion. I don't even like the iPad and yet you are acting hostile to anyone who doesn't share your absolute disgust with Apple.

hostile? :confused: I thought it was a discussion.

Its interesting how much this thread mirrors some in the religion forum.

Well I cant tell someone how to feel on my rating a product(s). If you dont agree with me.. Okie dokie. If you do thats peachy too. But I really want to let folks know that marketing flub doesnt get you anything better. Its like going to a dealership to get your oil changed, air filter and cabin air filter changed and pay $120 OR you could either do it yourself for $35 or to a mechanic shop for $50. It just is irritating that people STILL will go to the dealership.

hostile? :confused: I thought it was a discussion.

I say now what I realize I should have said from my first response.... " "

If I could also browse the web, read the news, write email and read stupid people posting on forums, and if it additionally had very well thought out software for it's touch screen technology, I would definitely consider buying one. Actually, I already did, and bought one. Its called an iPad, and I love it.

. I have facts and you just decide to bash me with OPINION.
There are no facts here. It is simply a matter of personal preference (ie: Opinion). Your opinion is that nobody should ever enjoy using an iPad. Our opinion is that we do enjoy using the iPad. Since we're the ones buying the things, ours are the only ones that matter, with regard to ourselves. Or does your opinion about whether I should enjoy using an iPad have some validity I am unaware of? You are truly amazing and are really looking completely foolish. What can you not see about that?
You haven't shown how a netbook is better than an iPad, because that would be impossible, and we haven't even attempted to show you what you ask for because it is entirely irrelevant, not to mention impossible. Because it is a matter of personal preference. How we subjectively enjoy the process of reading, browsing, writing, playing and so forth.

In business, there are concrete, measurable, objective metrics that can show a product as being objectively superior with respect to those concerns. A leisure device is measured ONLY by personal subjective preference. It is just utter foolishness to claim you've shown how something meant for leisure is supposed to be superior to another device which would be, de facto, a leisure device.

For example, another thing you haven't even taken into account with regard to books: I am utterly weary of finding new places to try and store my thousand or so physical books. Kind of nice, to me, the prospect of storing them all in the space of a single novella. Very nice. Love it. Took it into account along with many other things when considering the purchase of one. I examined all the capabilities of the iPad and compared them with the capabilities of several other devices. Taking the entire picture into account, I decided the iPad was the best fit for me. Are you seriously trying to tell me that I haven't found it to be satisfying and useful for my purposes? How would you know? All you have is your hostility and assumptions about my experience.

I am, seriously, truly laughing at the absurdity of your presumption, and the fact that you seem utterly blind to it.

For example, another thing you haven't even taken into account with regard to books: I am utterly weary of finding new places to try and store my thousand or so physical books. Kind of nice, to me, the prospect of storing them all in the space of a single novella. Very nice. Love it. Took it into account along with many other things when considering the purchase of one. I examined all the capabilities of the iPad and compared them with the capabilities of several other devices. Taking the entire picture into account, I decided the iPad was the best fit for me. Are you seriously trying to tell me that I haven't found it to be satisfying and useful for my purposes? How would you know? All you have is your hostility and assumptions about my experience.

I also own hundreds of books. I use my Kindle to store decades of academic journals and primary source research. The (at the time) $250 to buy the Kindle was well worth it.

I also own hundreds of books. I use my Kindle to store decades of academic journals and primary source research. The (at the time) $250 to buy the Kindle was well worth it.
I was completely torn between the Kindle (nook was in the running, too) and the iPad. I really do like the notion of the digital ink, and its reliance on ambient light for display. The display for book reading on the Kindle is superior, IMO. One thing I like about the iPad, though, is that I have the Nook reader, Kindle reader and the iBooks reader on this single device. I can shop around for availability and good pricing from all three of these providers. I have somewhat compensated for the display thing by turning down the brightness of the display (from within the reader, not on the whole device) when reading, and also using sepia tone when available in the reader. It does make it better for me and I notice zero eye fatigue. Nevertheless, if what I had been looking for was a simple reader (and in some ways I was very attracted to that), I would have ended up with a Kindle.

Oh, and I am buying my mom a reader for Christmas, because that is probably the right device for her. I have had to hint to her about it to keep her from buying one for herself, and she seems excited.

Oh, and I am buying my mom a reader for Christmas, because that is probably the right device for her. I have had to hint to her about it to keep her from buying one for herself, and she seems excited.

Well good! If there was one thing I could fix about the Kindle, I would implement a more flexible zoom feature with the PDF files (my primary use). Well, okay, a second thing, a more standard digital-era page count. The vague number system on the Kindle is not apt for research with books designed on the Kindle system.

As far as the small changes you made to the iPad, I find that interesting. Sometime I might have to try that on a device I find.

Last edited:
Well good! If there was one thing I could fix about the Kindle, I would implement a more flexible zoom feature with the PDF files (my primary use). Well, okay, a second thing, a more standard digital-era page count. The vague number system on the Kindle is not apt for research with books designed on the Kindle system.
So are you an academic? It sounds like your needs may actually be driven by your professional work. That is an interesting observation about the digital page referencing. Has a standard solution been under discussion in the academic world?

My mom: hers will be used to read mystery novels and probably some news. Have you done much leisure reading on it?

So are you an academic? It sounds like your needs may actually be driven by your professional work. That is an interesting observation about the digital page referencing. Has a standard solution been under discussion in the academic world?

My mom: hers will be used to read mystery novels and probably some news. Have you done much leisure reading on it?

No, finishing my undergraduate work to teach history before I do summer graduate school..either in History (probably going to try to isolate it to 20th century political intellectual history) or in some measure in Education. I do read boring books though. Toilet reading for me and my friends includes nuclear policy and bureaucracy, and history. So, I might as well go through it. As far as I know, scholarly works are still transmitted via PDF files, but we have more and more books coming in this format...(.mobi, I think). I haven't tried to figure out what is going on behind the scenes with academics and this. Mostly because the book world moves at a snail's pace. However, with academic publications, PDF files and memberships are becoming more and more popular. It was cool to find my own subject had a decent selection of primary source material recently released in PDF format. I chose to do my final written work at the right time in technological history, I suppose.

Once I have been trained to make academic reading seem engaging, I have to work to make leisure reading .....well, pleasurable. It's an odd problem, I know. The only books I used to be able to read were fiction...seems as though it has been reversed.

Last edited:

No she isnt. She wants a netbook :2razz:

As far as the small changes you made to the iPad, I find that interesting. Sometime I might have to try that on a device I find.

The iPad doesn't use the reading technology that the Kindle uses so it strains your eyes and its much heavier and has a far inferior book selection, not to mention you only have 10 hours of battery life. You have a weeks worth of battery life on a Kindle. For readers, the Kindle is hands down superior to the Ipad. Reading on an Ipad is a secondary feature, the kindle specialized in it. ANNNNNNNND its only $139!!! :)
Amazon.com: Kindle Wireless Reading Device, Wi-Fi, 6" Display, Graphite - Latest Generation: Kindle Store

The iPad doesn't use the reading technology that the Kindle uses so it strains your eyes and its much heavier and has a far inferior book selection, not to mention you only have 10 hours of battery life. You have a weeks worth of battery life on a Kindle. For readers, the Kindle is hands down superior to the Ipad. Reading on an Ipad is a secondary feature, the kindle specialized in it. ANNNNNNNND its only $139!!! :)
Amazon.com: Kindle Wireless Reading Device, Wi-Fi, 6" Display, Graphite - Latest Generation: Kindle Store

From the time of the rumor mills onward..when it started to take shape, I knew Apple would try to do a scattershot-like attempt with a "Tablet". When I saw it on day one, it was no surprise to me, especially since there were some leaks beforehand.

Nevertheless, sometimes small adaptions can make a world of difference. Perhaps what he does is sufficient. It certainly is for him. I couldn't find myself wanting to read on a screen such as that, but some people have apparently found a way to do it. For myself, I needed something that would have a long battery life, wouldn't kill my eyes, would store a decent amount of data, and would read PDF. To me, a netbook or tablet would be my worst nightmare on the first two counts.

Last edited:
From the time of the rumor mills onward..when it started to take shape, I knew Apple would try to do a scattershot-like attempt with a "Tablet". When I saw it on day one, it was no surprise to me, especially since there were some leaks beforehand.

Nevertheless, sometimes small adaptions can make a world of difference. Perhaps what he does is sufficient. It certainly is for him. I couldn't find myself wanting to read on a screen such as that, but some people have apparently found a way to do it. For myself, I needed something that would have a long battery life, wouldn't kill my eyes, would store a decent amount of data, and would read PDF. To me, a netbook or tablet would be my worst nightmare on the first two counts.

I actually like the Kindle. Its at a good price point and it delivers the goods. It looks great with minimal eyestrain and its slender and light. Its a nifty device. :)

After reading my posts again I DO feel I was overly agressive on my opinion. :neutral:
So I must appologize to those who have and iPad (even though I stand by my opinion). I wasnt asked by a mod to say this. Its just my own opinion. I was wrong on how strongly I put down iPad owners. (even though I do not feel the iPad has a logical place in the market except being a nifty toy)

I like it because with the 3g I can use at the worksite where I am welding, it's in the back of my motorcycle or element when I'm out and about, and at home I can lay on the bed or anywhere else instead of having to go to a fixed location. I don't have an Iphone though, so Ipad is pretty nice.

Last edited:
You have money to burn because you just bought a crap-tastic netbook without a keyboard.

Huh???

iPad-Keyboard-Dock.jpg

I was also exactly like you, Noodle... Damn, what does this stupid machine have that a notebook doesn't have for cheaper? ahaha lolo nerd's machine apple sucks... (I am a convicted PC user)

BUT I finally bought one ;) and more important, I really use it every single day!

Why?

- Instant boot: Seems like nothing, but it is really nice to quickly google a question you have in a matter of seconds, then shut down the machine
- Interface: Interface is really lovely, intuitive and pleasant to use... really feels like the future is there! no loading, no lag, pure joy
- video: One thing I hate with apple was the skjbsb itunes and video that need to be in .mp4...makes me crazy BUT there is a nice little app that can read all your vids that are store on a distant computer, and whatever the format (wmv, ...). It converts automatically! very very nice. Watching a nice li'll series or film in bed while the wife is sleeping is top
- ibooks/comics: ibooks are not bad but not as pleasant as a kindle, but it really shines if you like comics and newspapers.

And last but not least: you can surf on the net, and do whatever geeky stuff you wanna do while sitting with your wife in the canape, being social and stuff... a true win-win situation!

So I was really reluctant at 1st but now cant live without!

Iceteagreen

After reading my posts again I DO feel I was overly agressive on my opinion. :neutral:
So I must appologize to those who have and iPad (even though I stand by my opinion). I wasnt asked by a mod to say this. Its just my own opinion. I was wrong on how strongly I put down iPad owners. (even though I do not feel the iPad has a logical place in the market except being a nifty toy)

Dude, you need to read ALL your "I hate Apple" threads again then... but thanks for taking the hostility out of your posts.

My guilty pleasure is my iPod Touch. I'll admit I was a big Apple critic all through their early iPod days and always found myself using other music players. I actually got the Touch as a Christmas gift... and now I'm not quite sure how I ever lived without it. The iPad does look pretty cool to me, but I find I can't justify buying one when I get all the functionality I need in my Touch, plus it fits neatly into my pocket. I can quickly and easily surf the web, organize my fitness/meal plans, check news and stay current on my hobbies, get directions, catch a quick TV show or movie...oh...and I guess I could listen to music. :2razz: It really just is a convenient way to simplify my lifestyle.

My point is I thought much like Noodle for a long time, with my opinions that Apple was just selling their brand and not necessarily a better product. Then I found one that actually worked for me. Also I have a laptop, but it's a 19" screen (I do a bit of gaming on it) and I like convenience of all that I can do on my little Touch without giving my lap severe burns or having to haul my monster around consistently. I'm still not ready to give up my PCs though. ;)

Now you just spent $500 on a extremely under powered computer with very limited functionality :roll:

- Instant boot: Seems like nothing, but it is really nice to quickly google a question you have in a matter of seconds, then shut down the machine
-
Your instant boot is as fast as a cell phone boot. Boot time is negligable. Unless your boot time is longer than 45 - 60 seconds you shouldnt even care.

Interface: Interface is really lovely, intuitive and pleasant to use... really feels like the future is there! no loading, no lag, pure joy
The interface is you touching a screen. But thier GUI is quite good I will admit. Until you want to type on it. Or if you want to play a GOOD game. A mouse and keyboard are MUCH better input devices for most applications.

- video: One thing I hate with apple was the skjbsb itunes and video that need to be in .mp4...makes me crazy BUT there is a nice little app that can read all your vids that are store on a distant computer, and whatever the format (wmv, ...). It converts automatically! very very nice. Watching a nice li'll series or film in bed while the wife is sleeping is top

Yes because its a toy. No serious usage in a iPad. But you could do the same thing with a $200 netbook.

- ibooks/comics: ibooks are not bad but not as pleasant as a kindle, but it really shines if you like comics and newspapers.
Awffully expensive comic book / newspaper you have there. A netbook could do it better too.

And last but not least: you can surf on the net, and do whatever geeky stuff you wanna do while sitting with your wife in the canape, being social and stuff... a true win-win situation!
You could do that on a net book more effectively and efficently.

So I was really reluctant at 1st but now cant live without!

You have an inferior product and you spent far too much money on it but Im glad you like it. :2wave:

Seriously people, there is not ONE reason to get a iPad as an individual. There are some applications like in a hospital / ER that they would be a better choice. But only if you dont need a keyboard often and only for simple applications.

They are a horrible purchase. :doh

Back
Top Bottom