• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Iowans dismiss three justices

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Iowa kicks activist judges who voted for gay marriage to the curb..........Rge people speak again......How sweet it is.............

Iowans dismiss three justices | desmoinesregister.com | The Des Moines Register

Iowans dismiss three justices

By GRANT SCHULTE • gschulte@dmreg.com • November 3, 2010

Comments (689) Recommend (22) Print this page E-mail this article Share
Del.icio.us Facebook Digg Reddit Newsvine Buzz up!
Twitter FarkIt Type Size A A A Three Iowa Supreme Court justices lost their seats Tuesday in a historic upset fueled by their 2009 decision that allowed same-sex couples to marry.

Vote totals from 96 percent of Iowa's 1,774 precincts showed Chief Justice Marsha Ternus and Justices David Baker and Michael Streit with less than the simple majority needed to stay on the bench.

Their removal marked the first time an Iowa Supreme Court justice has not been retained since 1962, when the merit selection and retention system for judges was adopted.

Oh hey, another Navy Pride gay marriage thread. Let me shorten this up for everyone:

NP: Gays shouldn't be able to marry.
Other people: Yes they should.
Yet more people: No they shouldn't.
Some other people: Yes they should.
NP: No they shouldn't.

Loop until page 40.

Instead, I think we should talk about removal of judges in general. To me, the whole REASON we have the judicial branch of government is to protect the country from the whims of the majority or the whims of congress. They're not SUPPOSED to be "accountable to the will of the people," because sometimes the people are assholes who support terrible things. Or, sometimes politicians are corrupt assholes who need a slap in the face.

We're not a direct democracy for a damned good reason. The founding fathers were smart enough to realize how that would end up.

Last edited:
America is fast becoming a de facto direct democracy. We are a republic, except that majorities can intervene in any part of the process. Seems natural law only exists when it comes to guns rights. Everything else is subject to the whim of a majority.

Last edited:
I dislike judges being elected. Oftentimes the right legal choice is very unpopular. The judge who made the call on the Fred Phelps case is not going to be well liked, but he shouldn't be punished for upholding the law.

There is no law here....It is pure and simple activism and these justices are paying for it by the will of the ballot box...........The fact remains gay marriage will never be approved by the people, only activism judges..........

Instead, I think we should talk about removal of judges in general. To me, the whole REASON we have the judicial branch of government is to protect the country from the whims of the majority or the whims of congress.
And we the people retain the power to remove judges who place their whims above the law. You may remember a Wisconsin case a few years ago where the judge dismissed charges against a child molester on the grounds that the five year old victim had "behaved provocatively." In that case, as in the current Iowa situation, the people decided at the next election that the judge lacked the qualifications and temperament to keep his job.

Politicians are not the only ones who occasionally suffer from a case of terminal arrogance.

This story reminds me of roosevelt's threat to pack the supreme court unless they stopped invalidating his new deal programs.

Many of the liberal's favorite programs were the direct result of, basically, the exact thing they now claim to oppose.

Having said that, and I do believe that the judges made a bad decision, I don't think judges should be voted on in this manner.

Last edited:
And we the people retain the power to remove judges who place their whims above the law. You may remember a Wisconsin case a few years ago where the judge dismissed charges against a child molester on the grounds that the five year old victim had "behaved provocatively." In that case, as in the current Iowa situation, the people decided at the next election that the judge lacked the qualifications and temperament to keep his job.

Politicians are not the only ones who occasionally suffer from a case of terminal arrogance.

Will you look at that.... 6 posts in and somebody mentions pedophilia in a thread about judges who were dismissed for supporting gay marriage.

Pedophilia. Godwin's law for Homos.

Translation:

"Activist judge," which means "judge who rules in a way I disagree with."

To me, it's perfectly clear that same sex marriage bans are unconstitutional and in opposition to already-existing supreme court decisions.
1) Loving v. Virginia, "Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man," fundamental to our very existence and survival"

2) 14th amendment, "nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

3) Our laws prevent discrimination based on gender. In most states, I am barred as a private citizen from entering into a contract (marriage) with another private citizen because they happen to be the same gender as me. People say "but sexual orientation isn't protected like that!" So? Who said anything about sexual orientation? Gay marriage and gay sex are not the same thing.

4) It doesn't harm anyone. If it doesn't harm myself or others, why does the government have the right to ban it?

5) In what universe is it a good idea for personal liberties to be decided by majority vote?

It's clear as day to me. An "activist" judge, to me, is one who would ignore this constitutional contradiction because he personally disapproves. So, you and I disagree. Why should we subject this to a vote? We don't vote on freedom. A judge spends his career becoming an expert on the law and on the constitution, clearly a judge is more qualified for this than you or I.

Iowa kicks activist judges who voted for gay marriage to the curb..........Rge people speak again......How sweet it is.............

Your apparent dislike of homosexual equality aside, I think you should relish in this tiny victory, because it's about to be incredibly short-lived. First off, Iowa won't overturn their marriage equality law, even if all three newbies vote against it. Furthermore, they are possibly to be joined by Rhode Island and Maryland, and New York depending on the final Senate tally. So you're looking at 3 more states where homosexual couples may soon get married legally - something which will undoubtedly chap the proverbial hides of conservatives like yourself.

Another interesting note to this GOP victory is the record number of LGBT candidates who won - 106 out of 164 total supported, bringing that to around 64%. In contrast, only 32% of tea-party endorsed candidates won. This is sobering news to those of you who oppose equality for homosexuals.

Last edited:
Will you look at that.... 6 posts in and somebody mentions pedophilia in a thread about judges who were dismissed for supporting gay marriage.

Pedophilia. Godwin's law for Homos.

It was to make a point. It did not in any way compare pedophilia to being gay.

It was about activist judges and getting voted out, jeeeesh man.

Another thread on Gays huh Navy? I'm sure you're not a bigot or anything, right?

Another thread on Gays huh Navy? I'm sure you're not a bigot or anything, right?

Actually he's quite the civil rights activist.

I mean, if people like him stop gays from getting married, just think of it, he will have saved them from all the miseries of marriage.

Bravo! Navy! Bravo!

And we the people retain the power to remove judges who place their whims above the law.

And which law would that be? You do know Federal Law supercedes state no? So if the state judges enforced state law when it contradicted Federal, they'd actually be placing their whims above the law.

You may remember a Wisconsin case a few years ago where the judge dismissed charges against a child molester on the grounds that the five year old victim had "behaved provocatively." In that case, as in the current Iowa situation, the people decided at the next election that the judge lacked the qualifications and temperament to keep his job.

There are other, better ways to get rid of judges. Direct democracy of judges eliminates any vestige of independence. We basically get the legislative and the executive. Electing judge is a stupid idea.

Doesn't mean we should elect judges. The asinine argument you give effectively prevents the judiciary from doing its job. When judges will get tossed for doing the right, but unpopular thing, that is very bad precedent. You seem to think that the majority is always right.

Wouldn't it be just wonderful if this had a positive effect on all Activist Judges?

It's not going to because Activists have a similar attitude to many people in politics and in the entertainment business who are outspoken on political issues.

They all believe they are smarter than anyone else and their way is the only way.

Just look at the fools like Alec Baldwin, and Sean Penn, who sre barely smart enough to walk across the street, yet they have all the answers to everything.

It is a good news story and I applaud the voters for doing this.

Here in California LA County Judge says Sex Offenders Can Live Near Schools.

Wouldn't it be just wonderful if this had a positive effect on all Activist Judges?

It's not going to because Activists have a similar attitude to many people in politics and in the entertainment business who are outspoken on political issues.

They all believe they are smarter than anyone else and their way is the only way.

Just look at the fools like Alec Baldwin, and Sean Penn, who sre barely smart enough to walk across the street, yet they have all the answers to everything.

It is a good news story and I applaud the voters for doing this.

Here in California LA County Judge says Sex Offenders Can Live Near Schools.

It's not activism if it's constitutionally sound.

I posted the ruling elsewhere. Those saying the judges did not look at and apply law are merely illinformed. Those who voted them out actually want activist judges, judges who will ignore law and place their pay check above the law. It's a poor precedence to set.

Judges fired for Upholding the rights of individual citizens to be equal.

Yep America, FREEDOM On!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I posted the ruling elsewhere. Those saying the judges did not look at and apply law are merely illinformed. Those who voted them out actually want activist judges, judges who will ignore law and place their pay check above the law. It's a poor precedence to set.

No no, if they make "liberal" rulings, it's automatically activism. If they make "conservative" rulings, it's proper.
Seriously, there's no other explanation for the ignorance peoeple display on the subject. They obviously aren't reading the rulings.

No no, if they make "liberal" rulings, it's automatically activism. If they make "conservative" rulings, it's proper.
Seriously, there's no other explanation for the ignorance peoeple display on the subject. They obviously aren't reading the rulings.

Someone once told me to read the ruling was an appeal to authority. I know, silly. I guess ignorance is the way to go. :sigh:

Someone once told me to read the ruling was an appeal to authority. I know, silly. I guess ignorance is the way to go. :sigh:

Dude, we can't have experts deciding things that they're experts on! That's elitist!

It's like those damned pilots. Always acting like they know best how to fly the plane. I vote we let that guy in seat 32D fly, he seems like someone I'd like to have a beer with. Whose with me?

Dude, we can't have experts deciding things that they're experts on! That's elitist!

It's like those damned pilots. Always acting like they know best how to fly the plane. I vote we let that guy in seat 32D fly, he seems like someone I'd like to have a beer with. Whose with me?

I always fly better after a couple of beers *burp*

It was to make a point. It did not in any way compare pedophilia to being gay.

It was about activist judges and getting voted out, jeeeesh man.

Yes, and all the other times pedophilia is brought about in a thread about homosexuality it does not seek to make a point. I guess the difference is... well there is no difference really. You're simply splitting hairs.

Yes, and all the other times pedophilia is brought about in a thread about homosexuality it does not seek to make a point. I guess the difference is... well there is no difference really. You're simply splitting hairs.

No I am not. His response was accurate and was used to show a point without inferring in any way homosexuality has anything at all to do with pedophilia. It was about the judge, not pedophilia. That just happened to be the case.

You mite want to take the board out of your eye, lol.

No I am not. His response was accurate and was used to show a point without inferring in any way homosexuality has anything at all to do with pedophilia. It was about the judge, not pedophilia. That just happened to be the case.

You mite want to take the board out of your eye, lol.

More hair splitting. Yes, Blackdog, as we all know whenever people bring up pedophilia in a homosexuality thread it does not seek to find a link between the two. Even though that's the exact intent each and every time. Please stop being intellectually dishonest?

Back
Top Bottom