• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Iowa State Professor Threatens to Dismiss Students Who Oppose Abortion, Gay Marriage, BLM

Mashmont

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Iowa State professor threatens to dismiss students who oppose abortion, Black Lives Matter | Fox News

An Iowa State University professor [Chloe Clark] is coming under fire after she issued a syllabus threatening discipline against students who undertook projects that opposed Black Lives Matter and abortion.

“Any instances of othering that you participate in intentionally (racism, sexism, ableism, homophobia, sorophobia, transphobia, classism, mocking of mental health issues, body shaming, etc.) in class are grounds for dismissal from the classroom,” Clark wrote in the syllabus.

Ladies and gentlemen, THIS is exactly what Christian conservatives have to put up with in the public universities. Apparently ISU has forced her to back down, but what student will feel comfortable opposing these radical views, for fear of retribution by this leftist professor? Professor Clark should be removed from her position immediately.

Fortunately my son was able to get 5's on his AP tests for English and History, so he was able to bypass the courses most subject to Marxist garbage at his state university. You don't find leftwing flakes like this in Engineering and Math departments so much, as those fields require accomplishment and brains, thereby weeding out the godless radicals.

But this kind of bigotry in the public universities has to be rooted out, and the only way to do that is to defeat Democrats at the ballot box and to re-elect President Trump and his great Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, who has actually made genuine improvements in the public university system.

Last edited:
Iowa State professor threatens to dismiss students who oppose abortion, Black Lives Matter | Fox News

An Iowa State University professor [Chloe Clark] is coming under fire after she issued a syllabus threatening discipline against students who undertook projects that opposed Black Lives Matter and abortion.

“Any instances of othering that you participate in intentionally (racism, sexism, ableism, homophobia, sorophobia, transphobia, classism, mocking of mental health issues, body shaming, etc.) in class are grounds for dismissal from the classroom,” Clark wrote in the syllabus.

Ladies and gentlemen, THIS is exactly what Christian conservatives have to put up with in the public universities. Apparently ISU has forced her to back down, but what student will feel comfortable opposing these radical views, for fear of retribution by this leftist professor? Professor Clark should be removed from her position immediately.

Fortunately my son was able to get 5's on his AP tests for English and History, so he was able to bypass the courses most subject to Marxist garbage at his state university. You don't find leftwing flakes like this in Engineering and Math departments so much, as those fields require accomplishment and brains, thereby weeding out the godless radicals.

But this kind of bigotry in the public universities has to be rooted out, and the only way to do that is to defeat Democrats at the ballot box and to re-elect President Trump and his great Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, who has actually made genuine improvements in the public university system.

Please tell me what these words mean- othering, sorophobia and classism. I couldn't even find what you quoted in the report you cite. This is what the report says, "Labeled a "GIANT WARNING," the portion of the syllabus banned "instances of othering," which it defined as "sexism, ableism, homophobia," and a variety of other things."
So what's sorophobia? Where did you see that word? Or classism?

English 250, eh? The problem is that this is a required course.

However, English and History are not "Marxist garbage". They are legitimate subjects, even if some crazy professor tries to muck up a class. Students can always drop that class and take it under a different professor.

Okay but apparently sorophobia is about the differences between women in literature so you are really prohibiting women's studies peole from being able to even discuss the evolution of female characters over time or between eras, etc. Sounds a bit, well, sexist against women.

Okay but apparently sorophobia is about the differences between women in literature so you are really prohibiting women's studies peole from being able to even discuss the evolution of female characters over time or between eras, etc. Sounds a bit, well, sexist against women.

But I couldn't find that word in the cited report. Or classism. Did you see it there? This is what the report says...

"Labeled a "GIANT WARNING," the portion of the syllabus banned "instances of othering," which it defined as "sexism, ableism, homophobia," and a variety of other things. "The same goes for any papers/projects: you cannot choose any topic that takes at its base that one side doesn’t deserve the same basic human rights as you do (ie: no arguments against gay marriage, abortion, Black Lives Matter, etc). I take this seriously," it added."

And this is what Mashmont quoted...

"Any instances of othering that you participate in intentionally (racism, sexism, ableism, homophobia, sorophobia, transphobia, classism, mocking of mental health issues, body shaming, etc.) in class are grounds for dismissal from the classroom,” Clark wrote in the syllabus."

I couldn't find that quote anywhere.

I found this definition of "othering":

By “othering”, we mean any action by which an individual or group becomes mentally classified in somebody’s mind as “not one of us”. Rather than always remembering that every person is a complex bundle of emotions, ideas, motivations, reflexes, priorities, and many other subtle aspects, it’s sometimes easier to dismiss them as being in some way less human, and less worthy of respect and dignity, than we are.

Othering 101: What Is “Othering”? | There Are No Others

Incorrect answers should be marked as incorrect. But threatening to have misguided and mistaken students dismissed from class altogether is over the top and uncalled for. You would think those students are the ones who most need to be in the classroom.

Please tell me what these words mean- othering, sorophobia and classism. I couldn't even find what you quoted in the report you cite. This is what the report says, "Labeled a "GIANT WARNING," the portion of the syllabus banned "instances of othering," which it defined as "sexism, ableism, homophobia," and a variety of other things."
So what's sorophobia? Where did you see that word? Or classism?

You have to follow the hyperlink in the FOX story to the professor's actual syllabus.

However, English and History are not "Marxist garbage". They are legitimate subjects, even if some crazy professor tries to muck up a class. Students can always drop that class and take it under a different professor.

While English and History are legitimate courses, they tend to attract the leftwing extremist activist professors, probably because they are less rigorous than, say math or engineering. And also because most every freshman has to take those courses.

I dunno if this can still be done but when I was an undergrad, you could take a test and if you passed, that would be your grade for the class so in a sense it was an exemption. I always got those class exemptions for all my English requirements.

I dunno if this can still be done but when I was an undergrad, you could take a test and if you passed, that would be your grade for the class so in a sense it was an exemption. I always got those class exemptions for all my English requirements.

Back when I was in undergrad, this was the case as well. Or at least, you could take the class's final (if the professor/department approve it) and if you pass, then you are given a pass for the class.

Got out of 1st year chemistry that way.

While English and History are legitimate courses, they tend to attract the leftwing extremist activist professors, probably because they are less rigorous than, say math or engineering. And also because most every freshman has to take those courses.

I don't know how much "leftwing extremist professors" are actually pervasive. I was in undergrad in the late 90's and my University seemed pretty fair. Though I majored in Physics & Chemistry, one of my minors was in Political Science so I did take classes from all throughout different departments and it seemed pretty open and fair back then. I was in grad school in the 2000's, but since my PhD is in Physics, I didn't actually take classes all throughout different departments then. There have always been some bastions of kookery in University, but not anything that couldn't be circumvented if necessary.

Back
Top Bottom