• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Iowa Allows Blind People to Get Gun Permits

Donc

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
I’m for conceal carry but this is a step too far, IMO.WTF…shoot in the general direction of an unexpected SOUND?:shock:

<DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — Iowa law enforcement officials are debating the wisdom of granting gun permits to blind people.

The Des Moines Register reports Iowa law doesn't allow sheriffs to deny a permit to carry a gun in public based on physical ability.

Some sheriffs have been granting gun permits to people with visual impairments while others have been denying them.

Jane Hudson with Disability Rights Iowa says keeping legally blind people from obtaining weapon permits would violate the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Some other states, including Nebraska, require anyone applying for a gun permit to provide proof of their visual ability by supplying a driver's license or doctor's statement.>

Iowa Allows Blind People to Get Gun Permits | KCRG-TV9 | Cedar Rapids, Iowa News, Sports, and Weather | Local News

I’m for conceal carry but this is a step too far, IMO.WTF…shoot in the general direction of an unexpected SOUND?:shock:

<DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — Iowa law enforcement officials are debating the wisdom of granting gun permits to blind people.

The Des Moines Register reports Iowa law doesn't allow sheriffs to deny a permit to carry a gun in public based on physical ability.

Some sheriffs have been granting gun permits to people with visual impairments while others have been denying them.

Jane Hudson with Disability Rights Iowa says keeping legally blind people from obtaining weapon permits would violate the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Some other states, including Nebraska, require anyone applying for a gun permit to provide proof of their visual ability by supplying a driver's license or doctor's statement.>

Iowa Allows Blind People to Get Gun Permits | KCRG-TV9 | Cedar Rapids, Iowa News, Sports, and Weather | Local News
What could go wrong?

Only if I have an AR 15 with a banana Clip. :2razz:

3rmzwx.jpg

And teach the blind person echolocation.

highfive.gif
.....when you can snatch the Pebble from my hand. It will be time for you to leave. :lol: :2razz:

th

highfive.gif
.....when you can snatch the Pebble from my hand. It will be time for you to leave. :lol: :2razz:

th
I don't get it. lol

…shoot in the general direction of an unexpected SOUND?

If that unexpected sound is someone trying to break down their bedroom door, then I would say yes, fire away.

'Merica. Do reasonable limits not exist in America or what?

I think people are missing something here. Blind is not necessarily without sight, many legally blind people can see but are severely restricted. I fully admit I didn't read the story but one has to consider that to get a CCL one must pass a proficiency test, if someone is sight impaired but not 100% blind and can satisfactorily place shots on target that should be fine. If on the other hand a person has problems with recognition and placing shots on target then sure there could be an issue.

I think people are missing something here. Blind is not necessarily without sight, many legally blind people can see but are severely restricted. I fully admit I didn't read the story but one has to consider that to get a CCL one must pass a proficiency test, if someone is sight impaired but not 100% blind and can satisfactorily place shots on target that should be fine. If on the other hand a person has problems with recognition and placing shots on target then sure there could be an issue.

Here in Chicago they would have to prove they could pass at least 16 hrs of Gun Classes. 4hrs on range. Course Illinois and Chicago don't pay attention to any other laws. Not like a Constitution or something like that. ;)

I’m for conceal carry but this is a step too far, IMO.WTF…shoot in the general direction of an unexpected SOUND?
Uh, no, that's just retarded. Please use your brain. The legally blind feel out their target exactly like you would in a dark ally. Put the barrel to his chest point-blank and pull the trigger. Do you lose your right to defend yourself in situations where you have poor viability? In dearness, in bright sunlight reflecting off newly rained-on roads, in heavy fog? No, you don't. And so neither should anyone else. You still have to identify your target, so obviously the legally blind are not going to sniper school. But if someone grabs them and throws them to the ground and starts stomping on their head as happened to my perfectly physically capable buddy last week, that blind person should be able to fire.

#commonsense

Last edited:
Do reasonable limits not exist in America or what?

In the scenario that I presented earlier, that someone is trying to break down your bedroom door, the quality of vision for the normal person who wakes up in the middle of the night is no more advantageous than the blind person. In fact, it could be argued that the blind person is at an advantage.

In this scenario, which isn't rare, why would it be reasonable to deny this blind person his Second Amendment Rights?

Uh, no, you don't. I am licensed to carry in 37 states and have never had to fire a gun for it. Only very few states require range time, fewer require actual qualification, and of those few one could submit a DD214 in place of a class and be issued a permit.

Uh, no, you don't. I am licensed to carry in 37 states and have never had to fire a gun for it. Only very few states require range time, fewer require actual qualification, and of those few one could submit a DD214 in place of a class and be issued a permit.
Depends on the state I guess. Many of the CCW programs I'm familiar with require range time and legal testing.

Depends on the state I guess. Many of the CCW programs I'm familiar with require range time and legal testing.
South Dakota requires $10. Your CCW arrives in the mail within a week.

Wyoming, Oklahoma, and a few other states do not require any resident to have a permit at all, blind or otherwise.

South Dakota requires $10. Your CCW arrives in the mail within a week.

Wyoming, Oklahoma, and a few other states do not require any resident to have a permit at all, blind or otherwise.
Hasn't been my experience with it. 'Bout time the rest of the states start with that approach.

I have a feeling this is old news -- meaning most states do not require proof of one's ability to see in order to get a permit. Example: Illinois, probably the strictest state in the union in this regard, does not inquire about one's ability to see. http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/6-181.pdf

Uh, no, that's just retarded. Please use your brain. The legally blind feel out their target exactly like you would in a dark ally. Put the barrel to his chest point-blank and pull the trigger. Do you lose your right to defend yourself in situations where you have poor viability? In dearness, in bright sunlight reflecting off newly rained-on roads, in heavy fog? No, you don't. And so neither should anyone else. You still have to identify your target, so obviously the legally blind are not going to sniper school. But if someone grabs them and throws them to the ground and starts stomping on their head as happened to my perfectly physically capable buddy last week, that blind person should be able to fire.

#commonsense

What color bananaclip would you suggest for a whitecane? Surely you wouldn’t go with yellow would you? Would you have a laser light as well?:2wave:

What color bananaclip would you suggest for a whitecane? Surely you wouldn’t go with yellow would you? Would you have a laser light as well?:2wave:
I would suggest a snub nose .38cal revolver. The same one I carry in my front pocket.

Back
Top Bottom