• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Investment websites

samsmart

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I'm thinking of investing in some stocks during this downturn, and I would like to educate myself on some basics and fundamentals. So I'm asking for the forumites to post some good websites for learning how to invest in stocks wisely. I'm putting particular emphasis on long-term investments.

I'm thinking of investing in some stocks during this downturn, and I would like to educate myself on some basics and fundamentals. So I'm asking for the forumites to post some good websites for learning how to invest in stocks wisely. I'm putting particular emphasis on long-term investments.

Depending on how much you know - I'd suggest starting with fake money in a reality-esque stock market.
I used Wall Street Survivor to monitor actual stocks.

You start out with a balance or $100,000 to invest in teh markets - all markets are accurate, you're pretending that you're in the 'real market' - and you can monitor in various ways how your stocks climb/fall - and you can semi-monitor the success of other game-players.
By doing things this way you can be involved, learn how the market responds to crisis and so on, see how the entire deal works really, without putting your head literally on the chopping block.

I did a wide variety of research before I decided to play a game, first - read up on stocks that would do well and how to determine the strength of a business, etc. . . it's complicated but interesting.

I like it checking in on the game, first - I've bought stocks based on the outcome of my "game-play" and have been quite pleased.

Never buy when a stock is high, btw - in a game or on real life- you'll just set yourself up for failure. The best time to jump in on a possible profit is when a business fluxes into a low. 18 months ago, when the market was spiraling downward, was great. if you don't mind big oil evils then BP might be an excellent investment if they show that they will somehow recover from this issue. . . because their stocks are at an all time low.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Investopedia.com Tutorials: Building Blocks and the Basics of Investing

Start here and learn the basics, even if they are boring.
Investing in individual securities half cocked is a recipe for disaster.

Things to avoid, websites selling hot stocks with heavily inflated returns and Jim Cramer.
After you get warmed up, we can talk about investment strategies.

Fool.com: Stock Investing Advice | Stock Research

Free Personal Finance Software, Budget Software, Online Money Management and Budget Planner | Mint.com

I have heard these two sites recommended more frequently than others from multiple sources. I have no personal expertise in the subject though, so take the advice with that caveat.

Thanks for those suggestions.

Investopedia.com Tutorials: Building Blocks and the Basics of Investing

Start here and learn the basics, even if they are boring.
Investing in individual securities half cocked is a recipe for disaster.

Things to avoid, websites selling hot stocks with heavily inflated returns and Jim Cramer.
After you get warmed up, we can talk about investment strategies.

Thanks for the website. I'll be sure to read up on it.

Right now, I've invested only a little bit of money in only a few companies with the long-term in mind. I've got a local stock broker and made my picks with some advice from my grandfather. I've just started, and at the moment I'm not interested in any other things, and that includes trading using websites. Right now, I want to use websites just for information, and I want to start slow and keep things simple.

If you're just of the mind that the stock market as a whole is undervalued, it might be worth investing in an index fund. Something like SPY is a great way to benefit from a market upswing without much effort on your part.

If you're just of the mind that the stock market as a whole is undervalued, it might be worth investing in an index fund. Something like SPY is a great way to benefit from a market upswing without much effort on your part.

Okay. Thanks. I'll definitely research that.

Thanks for the website. I'll be sure to read up on it.

Right now, I've invested only a little bit of money in only a few companies with the long-term in mind. I've got a local stock broker and made my picks with some advice from my grandfather. I've just started, and at the moment I'm not interested in any other things, and that includes trading using websites. Right now, I want to use websites just for information, and I want to start slow and keep things simple.

I would avoid stock brokers, even assisted trades and advice aren't worth the added expense.

A discount broker like Scottrade, TradeKing, ShareBuilder, etc are much better bang for you buck.
Generally speaking, you want to keep your trading fee at 1-2% of the amount invested, otherwise your better off with Mutual/Index funds.

I would avoid stock brokers, even assisted trades and advice aren't worth the added expense.

A discount broker like Scottrade, TradeKing, ShareBuilder, etc are much better bang for you buck.
Generally speaking, you want to keep your trading fee at 1-2% of the amount invested, otherwise your better off with Mutual/Index funds.

I just want to add another vote for this. I used ING direct to open a Roth IRA and a trading account last year. I paid something like $10 to buy a chunk of an index fund and another $10 to sell it later on. Unless you're a highly sophisticated investor or are getting invited to closed hedge funds, a great way to make money is to minimize your costs on trading and on actively managed funds.

I just want to add another vote for this. I used ING direct to open a Roth IRA and a trading account last year. I paid something like $10 to buy a chunk of an index fund and another $10 to sell it later on. Unless you're a highly sophisticated investor or are getting invited to closed hedge funds, a great way to make money is to minimize your costs on trading and on actively managed funds.

ShareBuilder(ING stock trading platform) has the best rates for your standard buy and hold investor with little bits of money, not to mention there account rewards and promotions.
$4 scheduled trades on Tuesdays.

I've used both ScotTrade and TradeKing as well, best customer service is clearly with TradeKing, they have good rates as well ($4.95 per trade).
ScotTrade has an excellent platform, higher rates though($7 a trade).

You can open a TradeKing account without depositing money and use their stock screener which is decent.

Edit: Something I forgot, different companies offer different services with their platforms as well.
Not every discount broker offers DRIP and other account benefits.
It's always wise to first research fees and benefits before making an account choice.

Last edited:

NYC was right, you should look into stock funds and stock index funds first, not individual stocks until you are well educated. Funds do well during the upturns, too.

Two very good reasearch sites:

Lipper Leaders - Home

Mutual Fund Ratings, Research, Best Mutual Funds, Growth Fund Ratings, Performance, Closed End Funds, No Load Funds | Morningstar

Clark Howard lists some very low cost mutual funds:

Clark Howard: Sample Low Cost Investment Funds on clarkhoward.com

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom