• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Invasion of privacy

Should your property rights extend into the sky abave you

• Yes, you should own the air above you to a reasonable altitude

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • No, you can't own air, your property ends where air begins

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

sawyerloggingon

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
Political Leaning
Independent
These pilots in their little Cessna's piss me off. What gives them the right to fly over my home at a low altitude and even to circle it on occasion. They should have to stay above a certain altitude over private property. My wife likes to garden naked and has had to run for clothes when one of these flying peeping Toms comes along. Years ago I took a pot shot at one of these idiots but nowadays I just give them the finger. Anyway this is a pet peeve of mine, as far as I'm concerned they are not respecting my property rights. The air above my land should be mine up to a certain altitude.

These pilots in their little Cessna's piss me off. What gives them the right to fly over my home at a low altitude and even to circle it on occasion. They should have to stay above a certain altitude over private property. My wife likes to garden naked and has had to run for clothes when one of these flying peeping Toms comes along. Years ago I took a pot shot at one of these idiots but nowadays I just give them the finger. Anyway this is a pet peeve of mine, as far as I'm concerned they are not respecting my property rights. The air above my land should be mine up to a certain altitude.

There are altitude minimums. Depends on where you live as to what they are.

There are altitude minimums. Depends on where you live as to what they are.

All I could find was FAA rules against unsafe flying.

"The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is the government agency responsible for aviation
safety. We welcome information from citizens that will enable us to take corrective measures
including legal enforcement action against individuals violating Federal Aviation Regulations
(FAR). It is FAA policy to investigate citizen complaints of low-flying aircraft operated in violation
of the FAR, and that might endanger persons or property."

Next time they buzz your wife, stand beside her naked yourself and give them a little goatse, that'll keep them away. If they come back for more of that, you are legally obliged to shoot their asses down. :mrgreen:

(I'm joking btw)

I never knew that, do you have any idea what the limit is on average?

Anywhere: an altitude allowing a safe emergency landing without undue hazard to person or property on the ground;
Over Congested Areas: an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal distance of less than 2,000 feet;
Over Populated Areas: an altitude of 500 feet AGL;
Over Open Water or Sparsely Populated Areas: an altitude allowing for a linear distance greater than 500 from any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure;
Helicopters: If without hazard to persons or property on the surface, an altitude lower than in definitions 2, 3, and 4 above, provided in compliance with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA.

If they are below that, read the N number on the aircraft, date and time, and report them
Lowest safe altitude - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maybe this will help. The FAA sounds rather serious about it:

• Identification - Can you identify the aircraft? Was it military or civil? Was it a high-or low-wing aircraft? Did you record the registration number which appears on the fuselage? (On U.S. registered aircraft, that number will be preceded with a capital ''N.")
  • Time and place - Exactly when did the incident(s) occur? Where did this happen? What direction was the aircraft flying? What was the color?
  • Altitude - How high (low) was the aircraft flying? On what do you base your estimate? Was the aircraft level with or below the elevation of a prominent object such as a tower or building? Did you obtain photographs? Are there any witnesses who could confirm your estimate - do you have their names, addresses, telephone numbers?
  • Do you know of any other witnesses? The more the better. Do you have their names, addresses? They may be contacted.
  • Are local police aware of the problem? While they have limited authority in aviation matters, police officers are considered ''trained observers" by the courts and their written statements or reports make excellent evidence should our enforcement action go to trial.
  • If you took photographs, we need to know the lens used, and the height of any identifiable landmarks that appear.

Etc. Here: http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/field_offices/fsdo/atl/local_more/media/nlowfly.pdf

Anywhere: an altitude allowing a safe emergency landing without undue hazard to person or property on the ground;
Over Congested Areas: an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal distance of less than 2,000 feet;
Over Populated Areas: an altitude of 500 feet AGL;
Over Open Water or Sparsely Populated Areas: an altitude allowing for a linear distance greater than 500 from any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure;
Helicopters: If without hazard to persons or property on the surface, an altitude lower than in definitions 2, 3, and 4 above, provided in compliance with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA.

If they are below that, read the N number on the aircraft, date and time, and report them
Lowest safe altitude - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

500 feet is way to low, it should be well over 1000. 500 feet gives you no privacy.

I'm assuming that since your wife is gardening naked you live out in the boondocks? If that is the case then just to warn you the US Forest Service and US Fish and Game often ignore the rules by the FFA and will fly just above tree top level. They seem to be excused the normal restrictions and they often use planes that do not identify themselves as belonging to either organization. I know because I've seen it happen countless times at the property that I have in the boondocks.

My dad even thought about painting the roof of his house with the letters F.U. on it but wasn't sure of the legal ramifications of doing so. :wink2:

500 feet is way to low, it should be well over 1000. 500 feet gives you no privacy.

I don't make the laws, but I agree. If it were up to me it would be 1,000 feet over rural areas and 2,500 feet over urban areas, though I think of it more as a safety thing than a privacy thing.

Here it is 1000 feet in populated areas. How far way is your nearest airport?

Nearest airport is around 20 miles away as the plane flies. I can see low flying planes if you are under a take off or landing approach but where I'm at these are just snoopy people looking over my back fence so to speak. They have no respect for my privacy and think being in a plane gives them license to ignore my rights.

I'm actually kind of surprised at you.

You, Sawyer, could just get pissed off and post stuff on internet forums or you could print up a bunch of flyers with your wifes gardening schedule on them and sell them for $10 a whack at the Cour d-Alene and Spokane airports:lol:

para 119 of part 91 says 500 feet above ground level. you and i discussed this back when you was ranting over the DEA chopper hovering over your place.

Now unless your wife is half your age I don't see why anyone is buzzing your place to be a peeping tom. No offense to your better half- you are OLD... ;)

Nude gardening- I guess, must cause some rather uncomfortable sun burns from time to time... :3oops:

I'm assuming that since your wife is gardening naked you live out in the boondocks? If that is the case then just to warn you the US Forest Service and US Fish and Game often ignore the rules by the FFA and will fly just above tree top level. They seem to be excused the normal restrictions and they often use planes that do not identify themselves as belonging to either organization. I know because I've seen it happen countless times at the property that I have in the boondocks.

My dad even thought about painting the roof of his house with the letters F.U. on it but wasn't sure of the legal ramifications of doing so. :wink2:

I LIKE the FU thing! HA!

I'm actually kind of surprised at you.

You, Sawyer, could just get pissed off and post stuff on internet forums or you could print up a bunch of flyers with your wifes gardening schedule on them and sell them for $10 a whack at the Cour d-Alene and Spokane airports:lol:

OK so that was funny, might be a good retirement income. LMAO

I have to get busy but I would like to hear from some pilots that do this snoopy circling of isolated homes. What gives you the right in your mind. :2wave:I'll check back at lunch.

You could always get a permit and put 1,000 foot antennae on your property and force them up or build a skyscraper or something.

...fly over my home at a low altitude and even to circle it on occasion...

...My wife likes to garden naked and has had to run for clothes when one of these flying peeping Toms comes along...

I think there is a certain connection between those two. :lol:

I have to get busy but I would like to hear from some pilots that do this snoopy circling of isolated homes. What gives you the right in your mind. :2wave:I'll check back at lunch.

It could have absolutely nothing to do with you. The may in fact just be in a holding pattern as directed by the nearest air traffic control tower. While not a pilot, I did fly most of my career and we spent a lot of time sometimes in a holding pattern. 20 miles really is not that far out, depending on the amount of traffic. Also, is that 20 miles by roads or "as the crow flies"? You may be closer than you realize.

And at least it's only Cessna's and small aircraft, I live inside the pattern area for a military base. I don't get Cessna's but 707 sized airframes with jet engines are loud, even if they are 3000-5000 feet up.

Also, what is the altitude of your place? There is a minimum AGL (Above Ground Level) but unpressurized aircraft are not normally allowed above 10,000 Ft pressure altitude. If your ground level is fairly high, then those little planes don't really have that much play room above you.

You property doesn't even include the air inside of your house. There are laws on the books that make it illegal for you to watch television signals that originate from other cities via satellite despite those signals being beamed onto the roof your your home. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a proponent of broadcast signal piracy but I do think the onus should be on the broadcaster to make their signals unwatchable without the agreed upon subscription, and not criminalizing the viewer for accessing a signal that without his consent landed on his property. Owning equipment that can descramble other city satellite signals and even books instructing you how to do so can make you subject to civil and possibly criminal liability.

The gist is your local TV stations want exclusive rights to your TV viewing of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, PBS and NBC. Due to their power to help or harm politicians' public image, the TV station lobby got them to make federal laws that make sure you can only watch the local TV stations that are in your city. To understand their position, their business model is based on being able to sell your eyes and ears to local businesses for advertisement revenue. However if you're watching Big Brother from the Dallas station but you live in Houston, the Houston TV station can't make any money off of you. Problem is, what if the Houston station cancels Big Brother that night to run their hurricane preparedness special? Or What if you're from Dallas but you moved to Houston for a job but still want to watch local Dallas news? Enter big government to tell you no you can't even though the technology of 2013 that wasn't yet invented when TV first went on the air makes it possible. In fact right now regardless of where you live New York, Los Angeles and a few other out of town cities' TV stations are being beamed onto the roof of everyone's home in America. Use to live in LA and want to watch the LA evening news? Sorry, its against the law. In case anybody was curious. Similar laws are on the books regarding cell phone signals that enter your home without your consent but for different reasons.

There is no privacy when it comes to flying overhead . . . I have a detailed map of my land taken from space through a private company - I could have purchased one with more detail, up to 3 meters, but it was bigger and wouldn't satisfy my needs. For more money I could have found one for 1-meter. . . or less.

Don't mistake distance for an inability to see - it wouldn't matter if one is interested enough and their eye is aided and they are looking.

Why dont you just go to their airport and tell them yourself? You could take photos and bring them with you. I mean they must be somewhere local.

I suspect all the guys at the local airport are aware that your wife gardens nude so they always come and take a peek. if you show up and talk to them in person I am sure they will stop doing that.

Back
Top Bottom