• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Interracial couples increasingly common, but many aren't marrying....

Hypersonic

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Still think America isn't racially conscious all because we have the first African-American (or for those that are PC, the first bi-racial president)? Although I don't particularly like to bring up the subject of "racism," I think this particular article (grant it you may take it with a grain of salt since it's Yahoo) demonstrates that there are people within such a multicultural society that still have the biggest problems with skin color and culture. The following are some interesting facts:

"Some researchers say the reason for interracial couples not marrying is disapproving family members.

You don't need to get a blessing from either side of the family [to live together], Zhenchao Qian, a sociology professor at Ohio State University, told the Times. Moving to the next stage is sometimes more difficult.

That's because "many older Americans, especially whites, are still uneasy about interracial marriage.

Another reason for the parental uneasiness cited by researchers: fear of a loss of culture.

That seemed to be the more common concern," Damon Brown, an African American man married to an Indian American woman, told the paper. Their families thought "you can be black, or you can be Hindi, he said.

Whatever the case, it's clear some Americans still are uncomfortable with seeing racially mixed couples.

See Reference: Interracial couples increasingly common, but many aren't marrying, U.S. Census data show

I also encourage you all to read the comments as they seem to reflect our racially conscious society which thus further proves the articles validity.

Fair or not, You have to work with the playing field you're in and at the present time, it's unfair to mixed race children. Parents should not put a burden like that on innocent children, right or wrong.

It's a cold, cruel world, don't ask me to pretend otherwise.

Fair or not, You have to work with the playing field you're in and at the present time, it's unfair to mixed race children. Parents should not put a burden like that on innocent children, right or wrong.

It's a cold, cruel world, don't ask me to pretend otherwise.

Yep. Folks like Barack Obama, Halle Berry, Bob Marley, Vin Diesel and Eddie Van-Halen never had a chance since they were "half-breeds".

Last edited:
Nowadays fewer and fewer couples, mixed race or not, are getting married... or are doing so after having lived together for some time, frequently having children together. I think it's more a societal phenomenon than a racial one, personally.

Also, I don't think there's anything inherently unfair about bringing mixed race children into the world. Many of the world's most beautiful, successful and celebrated people are mixed race. Are "some" Americans uncomfortable about seeing mixed race children? That's like asking are there still "some" racists in America. Of course there are.

The real question is "are most Americans uncomfortable about seeing mixed race children", and I most certainly do not believe that's true. The article implies that the "disapproving family members" are usually white. In reality, I don't believe that's true either. In most American non-white cultures (and I'm including all minorities, not just the black and latino communities), it's almost always the minority family members who object to their loved one marrying a person of another race, culture, or religion.

I've been around a long time, and remember when a white person dating any non-white was putting his/her safety at risk, and at the very least could depend upon being subjected to angry glares, being spit upon, people crossing the street to avoid them, name-calling, etc. Nowadays there are multi-racial couples shown on nearly every television series, commercial, movie, awards show, down the street, around the corner, and right next door. It's hardly a novelty, and a few religious radicals dumping on a cereal company because it shows a multi-racial marriage and mixed race child does NOT a racial crisis make.

In 33 years of an interracial marriage I have had individuals act in a negative way twice. Hardly anything to fret over.

Still think America isn't racially conscious all because we have the first African-American (or for those that are PC, the first bi-racial president)? Although I don't particularly like to bring up the subject of "racism," I think this particular article (grant it you may take it with a grain of salt since it's Yahoo) demonstrates that there are people within such a multicultural society that still have the biggest problems with skin color and culture. The following are some interesting facts:

"Some researchers say the reason for interracial couples not marrying is disapproving family members.

You don't need to get a blessing from either side of the family [to live together], Zhenchao Qian, a sociology professor at Ohio State University, told the Times. Moving to the next stage is sometimes more difficult.

That's because "many older Americans, especially whites, are still uneasy about interracial marriage.

Another reason for the parental uneasiness cited by researchers: fear of a loss of culture.

That seemed to be the more common concern," Damon Brown, an African American man married to an Indian American woman, told the paper. Their families thought "you can be black, or you can be Hindi, he said.

Whatever the case, it's clear some Americans still are uncomfortable with seeing racially mixed couples.

See Reference: Interracial couples increasingly common, but many aren't marrying, U.S. Census data show

I also encourage you all to read the comments as they seem to reflect our racially conscious society which thus further proves the articles validity.
Why won't family members let other family members marry who they want? Should those family members be punished somehow for not being supportive?

Like DiAnna said, less people are getting married (especially if would be a second marriage for both). If it's a "racial thing" at all then it's nothing all that prevalent.

One thing I have noticed when it comes to racial issues is that it sure seems to have become quite the popular thing for some folks out there to spend an inordinate amount of time looking for anything that can possibly be construed as "racist".

I know a lot of not-whites who are "Oh not just no, Hell No!!" on the subject as well.

The article implies that the "disapproving family members" are usually white. In reality, I don't believe that's true either. In most American non-white cultures (and I'm including all minorities, not just the black and latino communities), it's almost always the minority family members who object to their loved one marrying a person of another race, culture, or religion.

It's obvious that the author of the article doesn't know many Americans of Japanese decent. And if you have ever been to Japan, you rarely will see the family members approving of a daughter marrying a non Nipponese.

Like DiAnna said, less people are getting married (especially if would be a second marriage for both). If it's a "racial thing" at all then it's nothing all that prevalent.

One thing I have noticed when it comes to racial issues is that it sure seems to have become quite the popular thing for some folks out there to spend an inordinate amount of time looking for anything that can possibly be construed as "racist".

Dude your from Arizona enough said........

Am I missing something? What does Arizona have to do with any of this?

Arizona is one of the most racist states in the country. I went there and they ask for my birth certificate.

In 33 years of an interracial marriage I have had individuals act in a negative way twice. Hardly anything to fret over.

Sixteen years, here. The fact that our daughter is a blue-eyed strawberry blond gets more looks than my wife and I do. I have brown hair/eyes, so she really is "one of these kids is not like the others."

Arizona is one of the most racist states in the country. I went there and they ask for my birth certificate.

Apparently you had it. Either that or you're posting from Mexico.:roll:

That is a racist state, I am not even hispanic!!

Agree. It's the topic du jour. CNN has ran several "specials" on race in the last few months alone. Sad that people stoop this low for ratings. I've never really considered my girlfriend and I a "mixed" couple. It's ridiculous. True, we haven't married...but that is more a result of our professional careers (and frankly my immaturity), than anything else.

very simply ....where do you want the problem ...on the inside of the door to your house ...or on the outside of that door?
Does it makes sense to marry someone in your race that you're not really happy with....or marry someone else that the world isn't happy with?

I guess it's whose report you read. For years stats showed that interracial marriage and IR relationships were on the rise. I see them all the time and I've lived in several different states. Nobody even bats an eye. Would anyone here bat an eye at an IR couple or their mixed kids?

You don't need a blessing from either side of the family to marry, either. If you want to marry somebody, marry them. Your family is not obligated to be happy about it.

And I would be remiss were I to fail to point it out that the aggregate of time spent denying racism where it does occur equals that spent on imagining it.

The universe stays in balance, my friend.

Why won't family members let other family members marry who they want? Should those family members be punished somehow for not being supportive?

America is still a racially conscious society, it doesn't matter about the parents

I know a lot of not-whites who are "Oh not just no, Hell No!!" on the subject as well.

Of course that is true. But whites tend to have more of a problem

Nowadays fewer and fewer couples, mixed race or not, are getting married... or are doing so after having lived together for some time, frequently having children together. I think it's more a societal phenomenon than a racial one, personally.

Also, I don't think there's anything inherently unfair about bringing mixed race children into the world. Many of the world's most beautiful, successful and celebrated people are mixed race. Are "some" Americans uncomfortable about seeing mixed race children? That's like asking are there still "some" racists in America. Of course there are.

The real question is "are most Americans uncomfortable about seeing mixed race children", and I most certainly do not believe that's true. The article implies that the "disapproving family members" are usually white. In reality, I don't believe that's true either. In most American non-white cultures (and I'm including all minorities, not just the black and latino communities), it's almost always the minority family members who object to their loved one marrying a person of another race, culture, or religion.

I've been around a long time, and remember when a white person dating any non-white was putting his/her safety at risk, and at the very least could depend upon being subjected to angry glares, being spit upon, people crossing the street to avoid them, name-calling, etc. Nowadays there are multi-racial couples shown on nearly every television series, commercial, movie, awards show, down the street, around the corner, and right next door. It's hardly a novelty, and a few religious radicals dumping on a cereal company because it shows a multi-racial marriage and mixed race child does NOT a racial crisis make.

Eh well statistically inter-racial relationships aren't nationally common I read a percentage betwenn 10-14% with whites (typically males) are increasingly dating Asian. It may not be a crisis to you but when Cheerios had received backlash from depicting a bi-racial child at what point are we not calling it a real problem? Also, you say it's always minorities that object. Well if minority parents of today lived through the 30's 40's 50's and 60's and 70's I wonder why? You can't blame black parents who had to live segregated lives from whites promoted by whites all because society held people of color as inferior.

There is still a level of resentment from minorities because they had to live through those times and there is still that pain of remembrance of having to live like that. It's hard to tell someone who lived in a time where they had to drink from a different water fountain or use a different restroom or go through the back door of an establishment to forget and join today's progressive society. My family is the same way and although I date inter-racially, I understand that they grew up in a time where society thought my ethnicity was inferior. Whenever you're a disadvantaged group that were oppressed, resentment is evident.

So instead of highlighting minorities having more of a problem perhaps you ought to understand why.

Back
Top Bottom