• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Internet Skepticism: Casting Call

You did read my post? Or are you writing without any knowledge about what I wrote?

I stated that atheism and agnostic are not the same thing, or did you not understand that little snippet?

I am an atheist, there are no gods, period.

I am not an agnostic because agnostic just say they do not know whether or not a god exists, it may but it may not. Hence the difference between atheists and agnostics. Is that so difficult to understand.

And no, my statements about atheism are accurate (look at the definition), it is you who are making a muddled and confused comment.
Yes, I read your post. And I believe you read mine. You simply don't understand what I'm pointing out to you -- and so you don't understand your misunderstanding.

Third time's the charm. Here goes. Pay attention.

My criticism has nothing to do with agnosticism or what you say about agnosticism or what you say about the difference between agnosticism.

Have you got that? Perhaps re-read that last sentence, yes?

What I;m saying -- for the third time now -- is that your statement about atheism is muddled and confused and erroneous.

Have you got that?

Now re=read my last two replies to you with this clarification in mind, and see whether or not you understand.

Yes, I read your post. And I believe you read mine. You simply don't understand what I'm pointing out to you -- and so you don't understand your misunderstanding.

Third time's the charm. Here goes. Pay attention.

My criticism has nothing to do with agnosticism or what you say about agnosticism or what you say about the difference between agnosticism.

Have you got that? Perhaps re-read that last sentence, yes?

What I;m saying -- for the third time now -- is that your statement about atheism is muddled and confused and erroneous.

Have you got that?

Now re=read my last two replies to you with this clarification in mind, and see whether or not you understand.

Which is more nonsense, or did you miss the definition?

I could post dozens of definitions and descriptions of atheism and they are all the same, atheist are of the opinion no gods exist. Pure and simple.

Which is more nonsense, or did you miss the definition?

I could post dozens of definitions and descriptions of atheism and they are all the same, atheist are of the opinion no gods exist. Pure and simple.
I read your Internet definition of atheisn, yes. Your Internet definition of atheism does not make the mistake you make in post #171 where you conflate denial of God's existence and denial of the possibility of God.

I read your Internet definition of atheisn, yes. Your Internet definition of atheism does not make the mistake you make in post #171 where you conflate denial of God's existence and denial of the possibility of God.

Atheism = gods do not exist, so there is also not a possibility that gods exist.

eQIi6obl.jpg

Those members who've followed Angel's deconstruction of Internet Skepticism in this forum know what Internet Skeptics don't know, namely, that Internet Skepticism is a misnomer. Far from being any sort of ordinary or philosophical skepticism, Internet Skepticism in point of fact turns out to be a kind of Anonymous Creepism, a bastardized hybrid of technology and human nature. If you are new to Angel's deconstruction of Internet Skepticism, it is strongly recommended that you check out the following threads before proceeding any further in this thread:

Atheists Don't Exist
Beliefs and Skepticism

Top Ten Reasons To Deplore Internet Skepticism

Please Note
deplore = feel or express strong disapproval of (something).

10. Because Internet Skepticism lacks Intellectual Integrity.

9. Because Internet Skepticism does not take correction gracefully or else does not take correction at all.

8. Because Internet Skepticism usually doesn't know what it's talking about, yet nevertheless won't stop talking about what it doesn't know.

7. Because Internet Skepticism usually doesn't understand or misunderstands or deliberately misrepresents what its oppoents are talking about.

6. Because Internet Skepticism is unoriginal and chiefly relies on second-hand opinion with pretensions to authority.

5. Because Internet Skepticism does not listen and cannot learn, which is the very soul of stupidity.

4. Because Internet Skepticism is habitually coarse and vulgar, mocking and bullying, with a marked propensity to rely on emojis to these ends.

3. Because Internet Skepticism is malicious in intent and as a result given to the personal derogation of those who dare to oppose it.

2. Because Internet Skepticism routinely posts in bad faith, ignoring refutation and correction and persistently repeating points previously dispatched by opponents.

And the number one reason to deplore Internet Skepticism:

1. Because Internet Skepticism is the militant arm of Internet Atheism in mufti.

Comments?
Testimonials?
Confessions?

Watch this.

An appeal to Internet Skeptics
Please do not quote the entire Original Post on the first page.

So what I'm getting from your posts is that you find issues with some of the stuff people post online. Chat boards, forums, and comments section can often become the sewer of intellectual discussion.

Atheism = gods do not exist, so there is also not a possibility that gods exist.
You persist in this error. Does belief in the myth of atheism compromise the understanding? For the fourth time:You are conflating -- confusing -- two different categories of knowledge claims -- knowledge of the existence of God and knowledge of the possibility of God. If you insist that God is impossible, give us the argument, the reasoning, the reasons or stop making this erroneous claim.

So what I'm getting from your posts is that you find issues with some of the stuff people post online. Chat boards, forums, and comments section can often become the sewer of intellectual discussion.
That's it. You get it. I like the way you put it -- "the sewer of intellectual discussion." Well said.

You persist in this error. Does belief in the myth of atheism compromise the understanding? For the fourth time:You are conflating -- confusing -- two different categories of knowledge claims -- knowledge of the existence of God and knowledge of the possibility of God. If you insist that God is impossible, give us the argument, the reasoning, the reasons or stop making this erroneous claim.

Yeah, you can post that nonsense time and time again, ain't gonna play your nonsense here. Bye bye, if you have something interesting or truthful to say then I may respond, but explaining to you the reality of atheism is useless if you keep posting this kind of incorrect nonsense.

:beatdeadhorse

:inandout:

Yeah, you can post that nonsense time and time again, ain't gonna play your nonsense here. Bye bye, if you have something interesting or truthful to say then I may respond, but explaining to you the reality of atheism is useless if you keep posting this kind of incorrect nonsense.
"Nonsense"? Your apparent inability to understand or make the distinction I have pointed out, the distinction between an existence claim and a possibility claim, testifies to the muddle of thought that is Internet Atheism. Any old-school genuine atheist would understand the point -- indeed, would not have committed the error you made, and certainly would not have defended that error without understanding it. This is Internet Skepticism at its uproarious best.

Kudos on a strong audition here in this thread.

You do know that is incorrect? An atheist does mean you reject the possibility of a god, that is the whole basis behind atheism.
What’s The Difference Between Atheism And Agnosticism? - Everything After Z by Dictionary.com

Not in the least. One does not believe, while the other simply admits they don't know for certain. That's a rather relative distinction.

OM

You are both completely and totally wrong. Atheism does not require a positive statement of "there definitely isn't a god", it is simply the lack of belief in god. Which gods do agnostics believe in? Oh that's right, none, because they're atheists. Look up the actual roots of the words and you'll realize gnosticism/agnosticism deal with the question of knowledge and theism/atheism deal with the question of belief.

I'm so sorry you guys don't like the negative connotations of atheism, but if you don't believe in god you're an atheist. Holding out the possibility you might be wrong does not magically change that. Words matter.

You're making up your own definition and you can't support that. Atheism does not require a statement of "there are definitely no gods and I can't be wrong"!

If you claim to be an agnostic are you an agnostic theist or an agnostic atheist? If you don't believe in god and don't think it's possible to know if he exists, you're an agnostic atheist.

Last edited:
"Nonsense"? Your apparent inability to understand or make the distinction I have pointed out, the distinction between an existence claim and a possibility claim, testifies to the muddle of thought that is Internet Atheism. Any old-school genuine atheist would understand the point -- indeed, would not have committed the error you made, and certainly would not have defended that error without understanding it. This is Internet Skepticism at its uproarious best.

Kudos on a strong audition here in this thread.

Yup, more nonsense and nothing relevant to further discussion.

:inandout:

You are both completely and totally wrong. Atheism does not require a positive statement of "there definitely isn't a god", it is simply the lack of belief in god. Which gods do agnostics believe in? Oh that's right, none, because they're atheists. Look up the actual roots of the words and you'll realize gnosticism/agnosticism deal with the question of knowledge and theism/atheism deal with the question of belief.

I'm so sorry you guys don't like the negative connotations of atheism, but if you don't believe in god you're an atheist. Holding out the possibility you might be wrong does not magically change that. Words matter.

You're making up your own definition and you can't support that. Atheism does not require a statement of "there are definitely no gods and I can't be wrong"!

If you claim to be an agnostic are you an agnostic theist or an agnostic atheist? If you don't believe in god and don't think it's possible to know if he exists, you're an agnostic atheist.

Actually it is not just the not believing in gods, it is the strong disbelief gods exist/magic people exist.

atheism

the belief that God does not exist:

ATHEISM | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary

And no, agnostics are not atheists, because agnostics are not making a statement that there are no gods, just that it is unknowable whether or not they actually exist. Which makes them something else than atheists as we believe/know that there are no gods, this is not an issue of unknowable for atheists, it is a certainty that they do not exist.

So you can spin it all you want, an agnostic is not an atheist.

And FYI, I am an atheist, I do not view it as negative, and I know there are no gods. And if I were holding on to the possibility that gods do actually exist, that would make me agnostic, not an atheist.

And I am not making up my own definition.

This is atheism:

Atheism is the view that there is no God.

pure and simple, if you do agree with this statement you are either a theist or an agnostic.

Actually it is not just the not believing in gods, it is the strong disbelief gods exist/magic people exist.

ATHEISM | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary

And no, agnostics are not atheists, because agnostics are not making a statement that there are no gods, just that it is unknowable whether or not they actually exist. Which makes them something else than atheists as we believe/know that there are no gods, this is not an issue of unknowable for atheists, it is a certainty that they do not exist.

So you can spin it all you want, an agnostic is not an atheist.

And FYI, I am an atheist, I do not view it as negative, and I know there are no gods. And if I were holding on to the possibility that gods do actually exist, that would make me agnostic, not an atheist.

And I am not making up my own definition.

This is atheism:

pure and simple, if you do agree with this statement you are either a theist or an agnostic.

You're wrong. The term gnostic/agnostic concerns knowledge, not belief. You can be a gnostic atheist, agnostic atheist, gnostic theist or agnostic theist. They are unrelated and two completely separate sets of terms.

What I am referring to is the people that think there's some special 3rd category "agnostic" where they don't have to be either a theist or an atheist. If they don't believe in god, they are an atheist, regardless of whether they're gnostic or agnostic. Atheism does not require a positive claim of "there definitely isn't a god".

If you have no idea whatsoever whether god exists or not, you're an atheist because you lack a belief in god.

One doesn't believe, the other is uncertain. Uncertainty does not equate to atheism, otherwise I would be an atheist - which I am not. Sorry, but context matters.

OM

One doesn't believe, the other is uncertain. Uncertainty does not equate to atheism, otherwise I would be an atheist - which I am not. Sorry, but context matters.
OM

If you don't believe in god, you're an atheist. You don't believe in god. Saying you don't know doesn't get you out of that fact. You just don't like the connotations.

Virtually no atheist is saying "I am 100% certain and there's I possibility of me being wrong." I don't know why you think that's a requirement.

You don't believe in god.

That is a false statement on your part, thus nullifies your position that I am an "atheist" (which I am not). I have been very clear from the outset that I believe in the possibility of God existing; but that if it does, I could never presume to know for certain what it is. HUGE DISTINCTION which differentiates itself from atheism.

Context matters; you can't just toss it to the wayside like that.

OM

Virtually no atheist is saying "I am 100% certain and there's I possibility of me being wrong." I don't know why you think that's a requirement.

Because atheists don't believe in God. Not believing, similar to its polar opposite (believing) is a position of conviction (whether true or false). I myself neither believe, nor disbelieve. I simply don't proclaim to know for certain. Huge distinction.

OM

That is a false statement on your part, thus nullifies your position that I am an "atheist" (which I am not). I have been very clear from the outset that I believe in the possibility of God existing; but that if it does, I could never presume to know for certain what it is. HUGE DISTINCTION which differentiates itself from atheism.

Context matters; you can't just toss it to the wayside like that.

OM

That's not a distinction. You just admitted you don't currently believe in god. You're just acting like a child because you're emotional and don't like the negative connotation of the word. Call yourself whatever you want, you godless heathen.

Because atheists don't believe in God. Not believing, similar to its polar opposite (believing) is a position of conviction (whether true or false). I myself neither believe, nor disbelieve. I simply don't proclaim to know for certain. Huge distinction.

OM

Atheism requires no positive statements and not believing in something is not an action. If someone told you there's an invisible pink unicorn on saturn, you're not going to believe it and there's no difference between not believing it and not believing it while holding open the possibility there might be one.

Atheism doesn't require you think you're 100% right and you can't point to anything that supports that.

You just admitted you don't currently believe in god.

I said no such thing, your straw man argument notwithstanding. I specifically stated that I do not disbelieve.

OM

I said no such thing, your straw man argument notwithstanding. I specifically stated that I do not disbelieve.

OM

You're making up things. "Do not disbelieve"? There's no difference between not believing in god and disbelieving in god. If you don't currently believe in god, which you've admitted several times now, you're an atheist. Words matter and you don't get to change them because you're emotional.

You're making up things. "Do not disbelieve"? There's no difference between not believing in god and disbelieving in god. If you don't currently believe in god, which you've admitted several times now, you're an atheist. Words matter and you don't get to change them because you're emotional.

Except he did not say he was disbelieving in god, he in fact said I am NOT disbelieving in god, keeping the existence of gods open as a possibility. And an atheist gods are not possibility because they do not exist. There is no possibility of there being anything like gods or magic people.

Back
Top Bottom