• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

International 'Go fund me'?

Torus34

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
The Suez Canal, as of this morning, has cleared the backlog of ships awaiting passage and is once again operating smoothly. The cost of the blockage caused by the stranding of the m/v Ever Given can be assessed. The ship itself is being held in the Great Bitter Lake until the owners pony up money to the Egyptian government.

Much of the Suez Canal system is capable of two-way traffic, but there are still many miles of single lane canal. When a similar grounding occurs, the problem will recur. Now, Egypt isn't a particularly wealthy country. I doubt that it's in a position to start a major canal project. Yet, one may well be economically sound as a preventive measure. Perhaps the wealthier nations, particularly those with large shipping interests, could work out an arrangement with the Egyptian government to up-date the canal.

Regards, stay safe 'n well.

The Suez Canal, as of this morning, has cleared the backlog of ships awaiting passage and is once again operating smoothly. The cost of the blockage caused by the stranding of the m/v Ever Given can be assessed. The ship itself is being held in the Great Bitter Lake until the owners pony up money to the Egyptian government.

Much of the Suez Canal system is capable of two-way traffic, but there are still many miles of single lane canal. When a similar grounding occurs, the problem will recur. Now, Egypt isn't a particularly wealthy country. I doubt that it's in a position to start a major canal project. Yet, one may well be economically sound as a preventive measure. Perhaps the wealthier nations, particularly those with large shipping interests, could work out an arrangement with the Egyptian government to up-date the canal.

Would the fees paid by ships navigating the canal not be sufficient to widen it?

Would the fees paid by ships navigating the canal not be sufficient to widen it?

Hi!

Good question. I don't know. Those who rule Egypt may have , er, alternate uses for a part of the Canal fees.

Back
Top Bottom