• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Internal Revenue Backlog

Ouroboros

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Without going into a long thing about my own current IRS problems, I will note that Tax Advocacy will no longer listen to cases about amended returns, though they gave me an extension six months ago.

When I wrote my congressman, his flunky sent me an e-mail in which she reproduced a letter the IRS had apparently sent to multiple congressmen: that the IRS would no longer listen to Congressmen intervening for citizens unless they had "hardship cases." And even hardship cases weren't likely to get special treatment.

Now, before the anti-Trumpers jump in with their rhetoric, I know a person who worked for the IRS back in the nineties, and according to that citizen the IRS has been underfunded since the nineties. So spare me the whole "Trump did it" crapola, OK? Clearly, even with the factor of Covid in the mix, both parties are short-changing the public by letting the IRS get into this godawful backlog. Either Democrats or Republicans could have promoted bills solely devoted to better funding the IRS, but all we got was some funding tied to Build Back Better, which isn't apparently going anywhere thanks in part to all the pork attached.

Income Tax is a racket.

It never should have been ratified in 1913.

Without going into a long thing about my own current IRS problems, I will note that Tax Advocacy will no longer listen to cases about amended returns, though they gave me an extension six months ago.

When I wrote my congressman, his flunky sent me an e-mail in which she reproduced a letter the IRS had apparently sent to multiple congressmen: that the IRS would no longer listen to Congressmen intervening for citizens unless they had "hardship cases." And even hardship cases weren't likely to get special treatment.

Now, before the anti-Trumpers jump in with their rhetoric, I know a person who worked for the IRS back in the nineties, and according to that citizen the IRS has been underfunded since the nineties. So spare me the whole "Trump did it" crapola, OK? Clearly, even with the factor of Covid in the mix, both parties are short-changing the public by letting the IRS get into this godawful backlog. Either Democrats or Republicans could have promoted bills solely devoted to better funding the IRS, but all we got was some funding tied to Build Back Better, which isn't apparently going anywhere thanks in part to all the pork attached.
Gee. Wonder how that happened.

Agreed. The IRS needs more agents and investigators. Probably thousands more to both assist honest filers and to hunt tax cheats.

You're right, it wasn't just trump. Conservatives have underfunded the IRS for years.

The Obama administration used the IRS to go after conservative organizations instead of processing all the tax filings they should have worked on. We've got to stop using the government against political opponents.

Agreed. The IRS needs more agents and investigators. Probably thousands more to both assist honest filers and to hunt tax cheats.
No, the Fedgov needs to gutted and reduced down to a manageable size, and the IRS needs to be scuttled along with the EPA, Dept. of Ed., HHS, Energy Dept., etc.

The only way that will ever happen though is revolution.

No, the Fedgov needs to gutted and reduced down to a manageable size, and the IRS needs to be scuttled along with the EPA, Dept. of Ed., HHS, Energy Dept., etc.

When you say "Manageable" what do you mean, and why would that be a desirable state of affairs, wist43?

ok

Revolutions are impossible these days with all the hardware and technology the military has which pervades society.

The everyday soldier who operates that technology and hardware has no deep understanding of Constitutional Law either. They're motivated like mercenaries who do what it takes to keep getting paid a paycheck and not end up in jail for defying orders since they know they're constantly watched and the legal system will snap at them on a moment's notice.

The real key to change is understanding the legal system, but nobody wants to do that since it takes will power and concentration and principles to do so.

When you say "Manageable" what do you mean, and why would that be a desirable state of affairs, wist43?
I was just reading today about a case of $143 Million in Medicare/Medicaid money for Covid testing. When you have fraud of that magnitude - that's more than a "flaw" in the system - the system is corrupted. It's like letting granny with dementia have control over the checkbook as you hook her up to Craigslist. "Manageable" would be having a system so tight that things like this could never happen - even if they tried.

I was just reading today about a case of $143 Million in Medicare/Medicaid money for Covid testing. When you have fraud of that magnitude - that's more than a "flaw" in the system - the system is corrupted. It's like letting granny with dementia have control over the checkbook as you hook her up to Craigslist. "Manageable" would be having a system so tight that things like this could never happen - even if they tried.

The largest such fraud/theft in history was a stepping stone not to jail but to a gubernatorial post and Senate seat (including current leadership of the NRSC) for the responsible CEO, so there does seem to be some deep rot.

The largest such fraud/theft in history was a stepping stone not to jail but to a gubernatorial post and Senate seat (including current leadership of the NRSC) for the responsible CEO, so there does seem to be some deep rot.
You expected something different from Florida?

Back
Top Bottom