• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Interfaith Marriages (your opinion)

SheWolf

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Hey DPers,

I just watched this reaction video to a Muslim/Christian marriage, and I wondered how most people here feel about interfaith marriages.

Do you think any two faiths should not be united?

How would you feel if your son or daughter were marrying outside of your faith?

Personally speaking, I know very little about certain faiths... I probably know the least about Hinduism, and it seems the most foreign to me because it's polytheistic. But I agree with the guy at the end of the video, you should judge the person based on their character and not on their faith. The only exception would be if I thought they were involved in a cult or their beliefs were dangerous or radical, but I think that falls under judging the person's character and not simply their faith. For example, not all Mormons are fundamentals following the teachings of Warren Jeffs, so if my child was marrying a Mormon, I would wait and see the person before I jumped to making assumptions.

If 2 people are in love and want to get married, that is really all that is important (as long as they are old enough to marry), who cares about religion, social standing, gender, May/December marriages, etc. etc. All of that should not be a problem IMO.

In the past people disapproved of inter-Christian marriages, love is all that matters in the end.

Hey DPers,

I just watched this reaction video to a Muslim/Christian marriage, and I wondered how most people here feel about interfaith marriages.

Personally speaking, I know very little about certain faiths... I probably know the least about Hinduism, and it seems the most foreign to me because it's polytheistic. But I agree with the guy at the end of the video, you should judge the person based on their character and not on their faith. The only exception would be if I thought they were involved in a cult or their beliefs were dangerous or radical, but I think that falls under judging the person's character and not simply their faith. For example, not all Mormons are fundamentals following the teachings of Warren Jeffs, so if my child was marrying a Mormon, I would wait and see the person before I jumped to making assumptions.

I do not believe in being unequally yoked. Additionally, if you are trying to live your faith, in a faith community, then this isn't going to work well for you as a family. I would be opposed to any of my children marrying a Muslim, Hindu, or a member of another major faith, as I would see it as indicating that either they had left Christianity, or didn't take it seriously.

Your faith should be the most central part of your identity. Marrying someone of a different faith is like going into the bakery industry with a business partner who is using the same shop space to go into the auto-repair and waste fluid disposal industry: you are working towards opposition ends, and are set at cross purposes.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

Hey DPers,

2 Corinthians 6:14
King James Version (KJV)

14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

Do I think it should be legal? Certainly. Would I recommend it? No, especially if it's two people who are serious about their respective religions. Unfortunately, such a union would be very prone to conflict, and marriages can be stressful enough as it is. Introduce widely differing religious opinions into the mix, and it could easily become a living nightmare. Now, if two consenting adults want to subject themselves to that, I wouldn't stop them, no matter how unhealthy it may be. However, I would feel quite sad for children who had to be raised in such an environment.

King James Version (KJV)

14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

What if you're worshipping the same God, but are members of different faiths? "Unbelievers" sounds like atheism or believers in a different God.

What if you're worshipping the same God, but are members of different faiths? "Unbelievers" sounds like atheism or believers in a different God.

You mean like a Baptist married to a conservative Presbyterian? Sure.

I would never do it, but if a couple is okay with it, then that's their business.

Heck, there are plenty of Christian denominations I wouldn't canoodle with in that manner -- like Catholics, Mormons, Jehovah Witnesses, or anyone espousing trinitarian doctrine or any weird new age stuff.

King James Version (KJV)

If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away. And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him. For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy. 1 Corinthians 7:12-14

Your faith should be the most central part of your identity. Marrying someone of a different faith is like going into the bakery industry with a business partner who is using the same shop space to go into the auto-repair and waste fluid disposal industry: you are working towards opposition ends, and are set at cross purposes.

Faith should not be the most central part of anyone's identity, it can be a part of it but it should definitely not be the central characteristic. Your own personal experiences, actions, and interests should be what defines you. YOur children can choose to define themselves however they want, religion should not play a role in your acceptance.

Hey DPers,

Marriage exists to provide for the good of the offspring. Since it is detrimental to be taught a false religion, inter-religious marriages are bad.

Hey DPers,

I've never cared.

My parents (Pentecostal - later converting to Methodism) had serious issues with my oldest sister marrying a Jew. It caused serious arguments and deep discussions - all of which I thought was absurd.

Hey DPers,

religious freedom seems good so ya people should marry who they want

I'm in an interfaith marriage. My wife is Catholic and I'm sane. So far it's worked for 25 years.

King James Version (KJV)

maybe people who are not a part of your faith are not evil by default?

There is nothing at all wrong with interfaith marriages as long as family minds their own business. Marriages within the faith carry no guarantees. There are countless examples of great unhappiness, infidelity and divorce to prove it.

Hey DPers,

Well its very simple IMO.
As a Christian religion and legal marriage have nothing to do with each other so theres no problem there at all. Id somebody does in fact want a religious marriage, well some churches will not do it but that too is pretty meaningless. If two people want it I'm sure they can find a church or religious figure to do it. But the most important thing . . . .it doesn't matter what I think or anybody else . . its none of my biliousness.

Hey DPers,

As a Jew I would not marry a non-Jew. My family has never been that religious but even for us that has always been a basic precept. So my opinion is that I personally oppose it and it is something I disapprove of for anyone else who is Jewish (unless they go through a proper conversion). Beyond that I have no strong feelings one way or the other.

God unites and does not divide. Anyone who uses their faith to separate people who rightfully belong together either does not understand the core tenets of their faith or is woefully deluded.

To truly know God is to know love, and to know love is to know the end of all that separates person from person.

I'm not saying interfaith marriages wouldn't be without their challenges, but the marriage in of itself is not an indictment against anything.

Marriage exists to provide for the good of the offspring. Since it is detrimental to be taught a false religion, inter-religious marriages are bad.

There are other reasons people get married besides having children.

I do not believe in being unequally yoked. Additionally, if you are trying to live your faith, in a faith community, then this isn't going to work well for you as a family. I would be opposed to any of my children marrying a Muslim, Hindu, or a member of another major faith, as I would see it as indicating that either they had left Christianity, or didn't take it seriously.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

That's a pretty good way to have your child disown you. And no, faith should not be the most central part of your identity. You're cpwill, a human being, first, and a christian second. The latter is something you were taught to believe as a child, the first is your identity.

As a Jew I would not marry a non-Jew. My family has never been that religious but even for us that has always been a basic precept. So my opinion is that I personally oppose it and it is something I disapprove of for anyone else who is Jewish (unless they go through a proper conversion). Beyond that I have no strong feelings one way or the other.

So if you met a woman who is without a doubt your soul mate and you loved very deeply, you would cast her aside because she doesn't have the same opinion as you about what happens when you die? Even if you worshipped the same god but she accepted the new testament and you didn't? Wow...

I'm in an interfaith marriage. My wife is Catholic and I'm sane. So far it's worked for 25 years.

My wife is a deist and I'm an atheist. Inter-faith marriages CAN work! ;)

Last edited:
That doesn't help the "interfaith marriage is good" position.
That's some very deep question begging.

Yes, because I need the kid who wants to put non-christians to death and has never been married to give me advice about what marriage is.

Yes, because I need the kid who wants to put non-christians to death and has never been married to give me advice about what marriage is.

Oh, an ad hominem, a red herring, and a strawman. Which fallacies shall you engage in next?

Back
Top Bottom