• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Interfaith Marriages (your opinion)

No, we are just more tolerant than those who don't believe.

What's really funny is "Christians" take issue with other "Christians" for various reasons. Catholicism comes to find as my wife is Catholic. Us Jews have similar issues but its mostly between the Ultra Orthodox and everyone else. Fortunately religion is becoming less of a priority in the USA while "spirituality" I believe is on the upswing. Not to worry, I will be "praying" later when the Isles take on the Panthers.

What's really funny is "Christians" take issue with other "Christians" for various reasons. Catholicism comes to find as my wife is Catholic. Us Jews have similar issues but its mostly between the Ultra Orthodox and everyone else. Fortunately religion is becoming less of a priority in the USA while "spirituality" I believe is on the upswing. Not to worry, I will be "praying" later when the Isles take on the Panthers.

Even amongst very secular Jews intermarriage can be an extremely controversial issue.

A Muslim man would not be interested in me.
I am a very independent Christian woman with unwavering faith. I don't care about skin color (obviously) or any outward appearance. A man who does not share my values is not interesting to me. Take it or leave it.

:lol: I know a muslim guy who might you like. He dates mostly blonde women only, especially ones that boss him around and tell him what to do, how to dress, what kind of car to drive, etc. My husband laughs at him all the time.

Then that would confirm my fears, and double the loss, but I wouldn't abandon my Savior simply because someone important to me has done so.

You would be comfortable disowning your child if they married outside your religion? I understand your Savior is important to you, but what about not hurting your child? Can both be equally important? Could you accept your child marrying a Hindu or Muslim, and not let that change your relationship?

That's why I would assume that those who do probably tend to take their faith less seriously. If I want a Christ-centered marraige, and to raise my family as part of a Christan community, why would a Muslim woman be interested in that, unless they weren't seeking to instead raise a family as part of the Mission community? I want a partner in Christ, not just something I can raise kids with.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

My grandma was always more devoted to religion than my grandpa. It didn't strain their relationship, and she encouraged the children in her faith. They grew up, and eventually started thinking for themselves. If you say you want a partner in Christ, then it kind sounds like you want more than just a believer... you want a devout follower and you want to worship together.

You would be comfortable disowning your child if they married outside your religion? I understand your Savior is important to you, but what about not hurting your child? Can both be equally important? Could you accept your child marrying a Hindu or Muslim, and not let that change your relationship?

If he believes that his child is risking an eternity of damnation it makes perfect sense.

My grandma was always more devoted to religion than my grandpa. It didn't strain their relationship, and she encouraged the children in her faith. They grew up, and eventually started thinking for themselves. If you say you want a partner in Christ, then it kind sounds like you want more than just a believer... you want a devout follower and you want to worship together.

That is correct. I tend to divide a faith into nominal and serious followers (scale, not A/B). I don't want a woman who wants to go to Church, you know, on the big days, or regular enough, or when convenient - I want (and am blessed with) a wife who will encourage and challenge and partner with me in building a Godly household and family.

If a father doesn't set the example for his children, they will pick up on that. I'd be mis-serving God and my children by marrying a woman who didn't seem to center her life on Him.

Last edited:

I didn't say I would disown them. He said they would disown me. I said I would be hurt by that, but was willing to pay that price before I would prioritize affirming my children's decisions over serving God.

No. As much as I love and would make any sacrifice necessary for my kids, the purpose of my life is to worship and serve Him. One of the ways I get to do that is by loving and raising the children He has sent me as best as I can, but they aren't equal - the latter is a derivative of the former.

If one of my children chose to marry a Hindu or Muslim et al, then I would take that as strong indication (if not proof) that they didn't take Christ seriously. That would hurt far more than not seeing them at Thanksgiving. I would rather never see them, but know that they are living in Him than the other way round.

If he believes that his child is risking an eternity of damnation it makes perfect sense.

Christians don't believe their actions can save others. Only his child could save himself. Also, I don't think the bible says it's a sin to marry a non Christian.

I don't see why a Christian should disown a child for marry outside the religion. It doesn't make sense. It seems they should remain in the child's life, and wait to bring them back to Christ.

Anyway, I am curious to here what he says.

Christians don't believe their actions can save others. Only his child could save himself. Also, I don't think the bible says it's a sin to marry a non Christian.

I don't see why a Christian should disown a child for marry outside the religion. It doesn't make sense. It seems they should remain in the child's life, and wait to bring them back to Christ.

Anyway, I am curious to here what he says.

If they didn't believe their actions could save others they wouldn't proselytize. There wouldn't have been any special significance to evangelizing.

Since membership within the ranks of the Jewish people descends matrilineally thats obviously a concern of mine.

:lol: I know a muslim guy who might you like. He dates mostly blonde women only, especially ones that boss him around and tell him what to do, how to dress, what kind of car to drive, etc. My husband laughs at him all the time.

A wimp vs a man? What a difficult choice. No thanks, I stick with what I got. A man who's confidence is from his faith in Christ.

It's truly amazing, and extremely sad to me just how much religion can F-up so many seemingly intelligent people.

It's truly amazing, and extremely sad to me just how much religion can F-up so many seemingly intelligent people.
So true. My parents are smart people and they're usually loving and accepting towards me, but when it comes to my sexuality and atheism, that all flies out the window. And it's all because of their religious beliefs. It was only just yesterday that they threatened to not pay for my college because of it. And it's getting worse and worse every day it goes on.

Idk, I just wish they could look past this and just love me for who I am instead of being blinded by their religion.

Last edited:
So true. My parents are smart people and they're usually loving and accepting towards me, but when it comes to my sexuality and atheism, that all flies out the window. It was only just yesterday that they threatened to not pay for my college because of it. And it's getting worse.

Idk, I just wish they could look past this and just love me for who I am instead of being blinded by their religion.

Are they withholding tuition because of your atheism, or perhaps your choice of college?
It seems that, demanding parents to pay for tuition is a bit selfish. Where is it written that parents have to come up with the money? Perhaps they want to ensure that you can stand on your own two feet, making your own decisions wisely, and paying the way of your own choosing.
You are reporting part of the story, your take on events. But there are two sides, right?
The best thing my parents ever did for me was telling me to do it on my own. I am glad they did.
Whatever success, whatever failure, whatever happiness or sadness that came my way, it was by my own choosing. I had to find my own way, and I love my parents for it.
Your parents love you. They love you more than you wish to admit. But you are old enough to live your life, your sexuality and atheism. Work for your tuition, do what it takes to achieve your goals, make your success your own. You, before anyone else, will be proud of your accomplishments, and your parents will cheer you on, loving you for who you are.
But don't expect and demand that parents must pay your way.

Are they withholding tuition because of your atheism, or perhaps your choice of college?
It seems that, demanding parents to pay for tuition is a bit selfish. Where is it written that parents have to come up with the money? Perhaps they want to ensure that you can stand on your own two feet, make your own decisions wisely, and pay the way of your own choosing.
You are reporting part of the story, your take on events. But there are two sides, right?
The best thing my parents ever did for me was telling me to do it on my own. I am glad they did.
Whatever success, whatever failure, whatever happiness or sadness that came my way, it was by my own choosing. I had to find my own way, and love my parents for it.
Your parents love you. They love you more than you wish to admit. But you are old enough to live your life, your sexuality and atheism. Work for your tuition, do what it takes to achieve your goals, make your success your own. You, before anyone else, will be proud of your accomplishments, and your parents will cheer you on, loving you for who you are.
But don't expect and demand that parents must pay your way.

They are threatening to withhold tuition because of my atheism and my sexuality. My college of choice has nothing to do with their decision.

But my main point is that this shouldn't have anything to do with this at all. They should be judging me for the content of my character, instead of my beliefs and sexuality.

Last edited:
I would like to hear from the parents. So yeah, I am missing something.
My overall point is that my parents should love me for who I am as a person; my beliefs and sexuality should have nothing to do with that.

Last edited:
My point is, they do. More than you can imagine.
I know that they love me, but I don't know if they love me for who I am as a person. If they did, I wouldn't be having these issues with them.

My point is, they do. More than you can imagine.

Then, why are there threats over things they she can not change about herself, without lying to herself and them?

Back
Top Bottom