• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Interfaith Marriages (your opinion)

Marriage exists to provide for the good of the offspring. Since it is detrimental to be taught a false religion, inter-religious marriages are bad.

Thank God this is a minority opinion. And as the old, ignorant "true believers" die off it will continue to fade.

And no, faith should not be the most central part of your identity. You're cpwill, a human being, first, and a christian second. The latter is something you were taught to believe as a child, the first is your identity.

Why shouldn't one's faith be the most central part of one's identity? Besides, this is the 21st century: no longer must one's identity be shackled to the body one is born with. That's what I've heard, anyways.

A Muslim man would not be interested in me.
I am a very independent Christian woman with unwavering faith. I don't care about skin color (obviously) or any outward appearance. A man who does not share my values is not interesting to me. Take it or leave it.

Thank God this is a minority opinion. And as the old, ignorant "true believers" die off it will continue to fade.

No, we are just more tolerant than those who don't believe.

Why shouldn't one's faith be the most central part of one's identity? Besides, this is the 21st century: no longer must one's identity be shackled to the body one is born with. That's what I've heard, anyways.

Because you weren't born with your faith and your life would continue just fine if you lose it. You as a person are much more than just your religion. I just think it's silly to reject someone you really love simply because they have a different opinion about what happens when you die.

Interfaith Marriages (your opinion)

my GF's faith preferences were a low priority when we got together. i'm not big on one partner pressuring the other to convert, though. if one wants to, cool. otherwise, you can take turns going to each other's services.

God unites and does not divide. Anyone who uses their faith to separate people who rightfully belong together either does not understand the core tenets of their faith or is woefully deluded.

To truly know God is to know love, and to know love is to know the end of all that separates person from person.

I'm not saying interfaith marriages wouldn't be without their challenges, but the marriage in of itself is not an indictment against anything.

How so? There are several faiths, Judaism among them, which explicitly forbid intermarriage.

That doesn't help the "interfaith marriage is good" position.

That's some very deep question begging.

Your entire reasoning was based on child rearing.

my GF's faith preferences were a low priority when we got together. i'm not big on one partner pressuring the other to convert, though. if one wants to, cool. otherwise, you can take turns going to each other's services.

That is fine, esp if faith is a low priority to both of you. But then you, or those who are not of faith, can hardly argue the topic.
To some, faith is a high priority. Chances are, one or the other will have to compromise, and that may lead to conflict. In the beginning of a relationship, we may think that a partnership is always rosy, simple and filled with bliss. But eventually we are faced with the realities of daily life.
So yeah, if faith isn't something that you even think about often, then interfaith marriage may not cause you any conflict. For some it does. We must try to understand both, those who don't care about faith as well as those who do.

So if you met a woman who is without a doubt your soul mate and you loved very deeply, you would cast her aside because she doesn't have the same opinion as you about what happens when you die? Even if you worshipped the same god but she accepted the new testament and you didn't? Wow...

I don't think I believe in an afterlife, and I'm most probably an atheist at this point in my life. I also don't really believe in a soul mate or destiny. I want to marry another Jew so that our children would be Jewish, so that we would retain our unique culture, and to carry on the tradition of our people that has persisted for several thousand years.

How so? There are several faiths, Judaism among them, which explicitly forbid intermarriage.

In my experience, atheists who pontificate about what religion "really" is about, can't be reasoned with.

Hey DPers,

I just watched this reaction video to a Muslim/Christian marriage, and I wondered how most people here feel about interfaith marriages.

Do you think any two faiths should not be united?

How would you feel if your son or daughter were marrying outside of your faith?

Personally speaking, I know very little about certain faiths... I probably know the least about Hinduism, and it seems the most foreign to me because it's polytheistic. But I agree with the guy at the end of the video, you should judge the person based on their character and not on their faith. The only exception would be if I thought they were involved in a cult or their beliefs were dangerous or radical, but I think that falls under judging the person's character and not simply their faith. For example, not all Mormons are fundamentals following the teachings of Warren Jeffs, so if my child was marrying a Mormon, I would wait and see the person before I jumped to making assumptions.

It depends.

If both are very devout, it will almost certainly create problems... the more different the two faiths, the worse the problems. Christian/Muslim? Serious problems.

If one is devout and the other rather lackadaisical, the faith of the devout will likely dominate the relationship. This may not be an issue, or it may lead to long term problems if the relatively apathetic partner suddenly decides they've had enough.

If both are rather apathetic or casual about their beliefs, then it may not be a big issue... except perhaps with the children. Having children often makes a previously casual believer take things more seriously, in view of what faith their children will be raised in.

Generally speaking, not a great idea if the two faiths are substantially different. Presbyterian vs Baptist, Methodist vs Anglican, not so big of a deal.

I understand it is a major issue for any serious Catholic to marry a non-Catholic, though.

Opposites may attract, but shared values tend to promote long-term stability.

That is fine, esp if faith is a low priority to both of you. But then you, or those who are not of faith, can hardly argue the topic.
To some, faith is a high priority. Chances are, one or the other will have to compromise, and that may lead to conflict. In the beginning of a relationship, we may think that a partnership is always rosy, simple and filled with bliss. But eventually we are faced with the realities of daily life.
So yeah, if faith isn't something that you even think about often, then interfaith marriage may not cause you any conflict. For some it does. We must try to understand both, those who don't care about faith as well as those who do.

chances are that both will have to compromise on almost everything. when it comes to personal things like faith, i don't see why absolute agreement is necessary.

That's a pretty good way to have your child disown you.

Then that would confirm my fears, and double the loss, but I wouldn't abandon my Savior simply because someone important to me has done so.

And no, faith should not be the most central part of your identity. You're cpwill, a human being, first, and a christian second

That is incorrect. I will inhabit this world for a very short time - another few decades at best. I will live with Him for eternity. Furthermore, the purpose of this Earthly life is too spend it seeking Him and worshipping Him, so even in that short span, He is the focus.

My faith is central to my identity. My desire to affirm the choices of my children is not.

The latter is something you were taught to believe as a child,

Sort of. I didn't as a child, nor later as a teen. It wasn't until I came face to face with the Spirit of the living God that I was no longer able to deny Him.

This is something that atheists often get backwards. We do not believe in God because the Bible or out parents told us to, we believe in the Power of the Word because that is where God directs us. If all I had to lean on to sustain my faith was the words of Scripture and the nominal faith of my parents, I would have left long ago. It is His Spirit, instead, that sustains me. I don't seek to follow God because a childhood lesson taught me to, but because He has taught me to.

the first is your identity.

Nah, my status as fallen flesh and blood is mere biology, soon to fall away, and the lesser of my nature's.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
A Muslim man would not be interested in me.
I am a very independent Christian woman with unwavering faith. I don't care about skin color (obviously) or any outward appearance. A man who does not share my values is not interesting to me. Take it or leave it.
That's why I would assume that those who do probably tend to take their faith less seriously. If I want a Christ-centered marraige, and to raise my family as part of a Christan community, why would a Muslim woman be interested in that, unless they weren't seeking to instead raise a family as part of the Mission community? I want a partner in Christ, not just something I can raise kids with.

Then that would confirm my fears, and double the loss, but I wouldn't abandon my Savior simply because someone important to me has done so.

That is incorrect. I will inhabit this world for a very short time - another few decades at best. I will live with Him for eternity. Furthermore, the purpose of this Earthly life is too spend it seeking Him and worshipping Him, so even in that short span, He is the focus. My faith is central to my identity. My desire to affirm the choices of my children is not.

Sort of. I didn't as a child, nor later as a teen. It wasn't until I came face to face with the Spirit of the living God that I was no longer able to deny Him.

This is something that atheists often get backwards. We do not believe in God because the Bible or out parents told us to, we believe in the Power of the Word because that is where Good directs us. If all I had to lean on was the words of Scripture and the nominal faith of my parents, I would have left long ago. I don't seek to follow God because a childhood lesson taught me to, but because He has taught me to.

Nah, my status as fallen flesh and blood is mere biology, soon to fall away, and the lesser of my nature's.

The fact that you think by not opposing your daughter's choice in who she loves makes you "betray your savior" says you already put your opinion about what happens when we die far above even your own family. I think that's really a shame.

The fact that you think by not opposing your daughter's choice in who she loves makes you "betray your savior" says you already put your opinion about what happens when we die far above even your own family. I think that's really a shame.
You are confused about what religion is. My faith is not "my opinion about what happens when we die". It is the purpose of my life; the centerpiece around which I attempt to shape my living. Affirming the choices of my children is not.

Differences in religious belief are often listed as among the most common factors that lead to divorce. Given that fact, I think if people from different faiths want to marry, there at least needs to be some extensive pre-marital counseling directly addressing the religious differences head on.

Back
Top Bottom