• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Interesting while China is trying to reduce its pollution, we are going to increase ours!

independentusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
China has over the last four years made strides in reducing their pollution problems while we are reducing efforts in this country to do the same. I find that interesting.

China has over the last four years made strides in reducing their pollution problems while we are reducing efforts in this country to do the same. I find that interesting.

China's pollution problem is significantly worse than ours... it is in their best interest to "make strides" or most their population will die of lung cancer.

China's pollution problem is significantly worse than ours... it is in their best interest to "make strides" or most their population will die of lung cancer.

Is that what it takes to recognize the problem? The reason the US doesn't have China's pollution is decades of the EPA balancing out the interests of industrial polluters. China's only just woken up, but, coal-lobby aside, America has been 'woke' in that respect for decades.

Who says the United States hasn't taken strides to reduce pollution?

Is that what it takes to recognize the problem? The reason the US doesn't have China's pollution is decades of the EPA balancing out the interests of industrial polluters. China's only just woken up, but, coal-lobby aside, America has been 'woke' in that respect for decades.

I think it's more of a balancing act... how much pollution are we willing to tolerate.... or not.

In my opinion the worst forms of pollution are deforestation(depends on where), habitat destruction, pesticides and various toxic runoffs. Carbon pollution being among the last...

I think it's more of a balancing act... how much pollution are we willing to tolerate.... or not.

In my opinion the worst forms of pollution are deforestation(depends on where), habitat destruction, pesticides and various toxic runoffs. Carbon pollution being among the last...

"Carbon Pollution" is a completely fabricated pile of nonsense. You are absolutely correct on the other, REAL pollution you cited.

WRONG

“To a lesser extent, the clearing of land for agriculture, industry, and other human activities has increased concentrations of greenhouse gases.”
https://climate.nasa.gov/causes/
"Carbon Pollution" is a completely fabricated pile of nonsense. You are absolutely correct on the other, REAL pollution you cited.
WRONGER

“At this point, the Earth is probably on the threshold of an entirely new epoch in which the global climate and the distribution of life will be strongly influenced by a single species: humans. Some are calling this new epoch the anthropocene and it is all thanks to our increasing the relatively small amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere by burning the vast stores of carbon trapped inside of the fossil fuels that power our modern lives.”
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/if-carbon-dioxide-makes-u/

“Atmospheric CO2 levels rose 40 percent between 1750 and 2011. (In 2013, atmospheric CO2 levels surpassed 400 million parts per million for the first time in human history.) Half of human-related CO2 emissions occurred only in the last 40 years. CO2 (and other gases emitted from industrial and agricultural sources) trap heat in the atmosphere, so it is no surprise that we are now witnessing an increase in global average temperature.

In the same way that CO2 emitted long ago is now contributing to the changes in climate we are already experiencing today, the emissions we are currently releasing will help determine the climate future our children and grandchildren experience.”
https://www.ucsusa.org/global-warmi.../CO2-and-global-warming-faq.html#.W_vmLRZOnDs

“Scientists say the accumulation of heat in the oceans is the strongest evidence of how fast Earth is warming due to heat-trapping gases released by the burning of fossil fuels.”
https://www.google.com/amp/s/inside...ul-climate-change-evidence-global-warming?amp

Many, many more articles and studies explaining how we are having a profoundly negative impact on Earth’s atmosphere. Only “flat Earthers” refuse to accept reality.

The reason the US doesn't have "China's" pollution problem is that much of US manufacturing has been exported to China.

Asians still smoke a lot compared to western countries.

The reason the US doesn't have "China's" pollution problem is that much of US manufacturing has been exported to China.

And that's the sad truth of it. We can't have slaves anymore, and we are told we have to pay a mommy amount to workers...but we still want to pretend its the late 1800s, and we achieve that by shipping our slavery needs out to other countries. So that I can type on this smart phone for cheap.

You find it interesting and I find it reprehensible. For over 100 years the USA was the major World polluter. Now China and its' 1.4 billion citizens have the honor and are working to mitigate their pollution in earnest. The USA follows the Know Nothing policies of old to protect Corporate polluters and the USA Energy Industries. Veritable mountains of coal BURNING, lakes of petroleum products BURNING, Mountains of biomass BURNING, trillions of cubic feet of natural gas BURNING, nearly invisible nukes BURNING, etc., all BURNING. Releasing the HEAT into the atmosphere and raising the temperature of that atmosphere slightly, possibly one tenth of a degree per decade in human terms. Add some CO2 to trap slightly excess heat preventing its' radiation into space. Melt lots of ice to induce absorption of heat into Oceans instead of reflecting the heat back into space and causing a slight increase in Ocean tremps. Find a World Energy link. Total the BTU outputs into the atmosphere of the heat produced by burning of the aforementioned fuels. All the BTUs make their way into the atmosphere. Find the weight of the atmosphere and calculate how much the thousands of quadrillions of BTUs will raise the temp of that weight of atmosphere. Voila! Since it is a simple math problem, there is no question that the temp will increase. In the past, any Party opposing this simple math would be referred to as the Know Nothing Party and their agenda ridiculed. In today's World of IMAGERY, the MSM presents the agenda, by din of huge amounts of dollars purchasing MSM space, and propagates the Know Nothing AGENDA to protect the wealth of the Big Energy POLLUTERS. In the meantime, they must move and protect their assets before legal liability stakes a claim. Like it or lump it, those are the facts./

China is increasing its number of coal-fired plants, so I don't really see where the strides in reducing their pollution problems are.

September 2018 -

"China is building coal-fire power stations, many of them previously thought to have been cancelled by order of the central government, at a far greater rate than previously estimated, according to analysis of satellite imagery and official documents. ..."

Read more at https://www.businessinsider.com.au/china-coal-fired-power-station-buildup-2018-9#2ELwxjHzJtcfcjAd.99

Good point I overlooked that. However it doesn't mean manufacturing by necessity must be dirty. Unfortunately it is true that clean manufacturing will cost businesses more, but that is just shifting the externalities back on the polluters to begin with. No factory went out of business solely because it was forced to clean up.

That doesn't hold up when chimneys spewing smoke cause smoky air in cities.

Yes as celticwar cited, deforestation, habitat destruction, pesticides (remember that right-wingers if you plan on going after Rachel Carson again) and toxic runoffs are enduring problems that take longer to reverse than simply shutting off the smoke, but there is no denying the immediate cause of barely breathable in China's big cities (as it was in industrial centres in Europe and America a hundred years ago) is plain old soot and smog.

It's beyond basic science that smoke lingers in the air: it's common sense.

And you have a Phd so you can say that about carbon pollution? I thought not. I bet you got that from either trump or Fox News. Not only is CO2 causing the world to warm, it is also increasing the pollen and allergy causing particles in the air. That is why we have had the highest average pollen counts in the US ever over the past four years and the counts are going up every year. So many people with allergies are worse than ever and many people who have never have had them in the past now do. Hope you and yours do not have asthma, as that is also getting worse for those who have that problem.

Back
Top Bottom