• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Interesting piece on Ukraine's biological labs

gbg3

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I can't say this article gives me any comfort. It sounds like sheer neglect has led us to the danger those labs now present. As they move into the hands of people with nefarious intent, that past neglect could be a terrible oversight.

I can't say this article gives me any comfort. It sounds like sheer neglect has led us to the danger those labs now present. As they move into the hands of people with nefarious intent, that past neglect could be a terrible oversight.

What's the article about? Do you agree with putin's accusations?

This article preys on the stupidity of those not aware of the natural presence of anthrax amongst livestock.. Nobody gave a SHIT about all the naturally occurring cases in Ukraine before the invasion but now is part of super secret bioweapons program for the gullible..

This article preys on the stupidity of those not aware of the natural presence of anthrax amongst livestock.. Nobody gave a SHIT about all the naturally occurring cases in Ukraine before the invasion but now is part of super secret bioweapons program for the gullible..

Well, also, it's important to the Trump crowd to blatt out everything Putin says as pure fact, because they basically hate America.

This was another article that you didn't actually read, huh?

Anyway, thanks for sharing an article that highlights the good work done during the Bush and Obama administrations to secure Ukraine's biological threats inherited from the USSR's dissolution.

The article said the US program in Ukraine has helped them secure the pathogens in a secure facility. The neglect was before 9/11. What is it that has you uncomfortable?

Boy, how quickly this thread brought in the best of the best. ;)

The article said the US program in Ukraine has helped them secure the pathogens in a secure facility. The neglect was before 9/11. What is it that has you uncomfortable?
Did you miss this part?

"As part of the program, the Pentagon spent $1 billion to build the Russians a facility in Shchuchye, Siberia, to demilitarize some two million chemical weapons. By the time it was done in 2009, ties with Moscow were growing tense. The price of oil was going up, giving Russia more revenue to wean itself off foreign assistance. At the same time, Mr. Putin was consolidating power.

As a result, the Russian government became a less-willing partner to the Pentagon’s drive to secure the deadly materials, according to James Tegnelia, who served as the head of DTRA from 2005 to 2009. “They wanted our money, but they didn’t want to admit that we built the facility,” Mr. Tegnelia said. “You could see that they were getting ready to pull back.”

Russia’s Foreign Ministry had in the past praised the program. But by 2012, Moscow declined to renew cooperation, saying it could pay for the work on its own.

In 2014, the year Moscow illegally annexed Crimea and began backing separatists in Ukraine’s Donbas region, the program in Russia drew to a close.

A spokesman for the Russian Embassy in Washington, D.C., didn’t respond to a request for comment on the Pentagon program."

Did you miss this part?

"As part of the program, the Pentagon spent $1 billion to build the Russians a facility in Shchuchye, Siberia, to demilitarize some two million chemical weapons. By the time it was done in 2009, ties with Moscow were growing tense. The price of oil was going up, giving Russia more revenue to wean itself off foreign assistance. At the same time, Mr. Putin was consolidating power.

As a result, the Russian government became a less-willing partner to the Pentagon’s drive to secure the deadly materials, according to James Tegnelia, who served as the head of DTRA from 2005 to 2009. “They wanted our money, but they didn’t want to admit that we built the facility,” Mr. Tegnelia said. “You could see that they were getting ready to pull back.”

Russia’s Foreign Ministry had in the past praised the program. But by 2012, Moscow declined to renew cooperation, saying it could pay for the work on its own.

In 2014, the year Moscow illegally annexed Crimea and began backing separatists in Ukraine’s Donbas region, the program in Russia drew to a close.

A spokesman for the Russian Embassy in Washington, D.C., didn’t respond to a request for comment on the Pentagon program."
What does this have to do with your OP or the title of this thread? You quote a portion of the article concerning a Russian lab in an article where you proclaim discomfort about Ukranian labs?

C'mon, at least try to understand the articles you're linking to, if you're going to claim they support your opinions and emotions.

Did you miss this part?

Siberia isn't part of the war theater. I don't know why you view this as moving now into the hands of those with nefarious intent: it's always been Russia's. Anyway, where is the terrible neglect? Who neglected securing the labs?

Did you miss this part?

So, a facility to destroy chemical weapons is the same as a facility to make chemical weapons?

ung.png

Did you miss this part?

It's over 2500 kilometers from Kyiv to Shchuchye, Siberia.. Do that not have maps at Trump University?

I really don't see the point in the word parsing game being played. Whether its a bio-weapons lab or a bio-research lab these facilities house dangerous germs. If they get released it could cause another pandemic.

I really don't see the point in the word parsing game being played. Whether its a bio-weapons lab or a bio-research lab these facilities house dangerous germs. If they get released it could cause another pandemic.
🤣

Siberia isn't part of the war theater. I don't know why you view this as moving now into the hands of those with nefarious intent: it's always been Russia's. Anyway, where is the terrible neglect? Who neglected securing the labs?
"Mr. Obama himself recalled seeing in his 2005 trip to Ukraine “test tubes filled with anthrax and the plague lying virtually unlocked and unguarded.”

Are you assuming all of this (mess) has been effectively removed from the labs in Ukraine? If you are, do you wonder why Nuland recently used the term "quite concerned"?

"Ukraine has biological research facilities which, in fact, we are now quite concerned Russian troops, Russian forces, may be seeking to gain control of,” Nuland said. “So, we are working with the Ukrainians on how they can prevent any of those research materials from falling into the hands of Russian forces, should they approach.”

To me, it sounds like $1 billion was allocated and spent - but the desired outcome of that allocation and expenditure was never adequately or fully achieved in its goal of the successful demilitarization of 2 million chemical weapons. It got complicated (Russia became a less willing and cooperative partner) and that was that.

gbg3 under Bush: SADDAM HAS BIOLOGICAL WEAPONS I SUPPORT THE WAR

gbg3 now: UKRAINE HAS BIOLOGICAL WEAPONS I SUPPORT THE WAR

Are you assuming all of this (mess) has been effectively removed from the labs in Ukraine? If you are, do you wonder why Nuland recently used the term "quite concerned"?
I assume it has been properly secured in the intervening 17 years, yes. The program was proposed by Obama, passed by Congress and begun as soon as he saw the mess things were in.

Of course it would be concerning if a hostile force bent on destroying you were to take over labs containing live pathogens like anthrax. But Nuland said they were already taking steps to hide the goodies if that became a threat. It's not lax security that troubles her.

Anything could happen, I suppose, but Russians taking over big germs in Ukraine is low on my worry list. The Russians don't have to go to all that trouble, anyway--they have their own.

To me, it sounds like $1 billion was allocated and spent - but the desired outcome of that allocation and expenditure was never adequately or fully achieved in its goal of the successful demilitarization of 2 million chemical weapons. It got complicated (Russia became a less willing and cooperative partner) and that was that
That was in Russia, not Ukraine.

"Mr. Obama himself recalled seeing in his 2005 trip to Ukraine “test tubes filled with anthrax and the plague lying virtually unlocked and unguarded.”

"Ukraine has biological research facilities which, in fact, we are now quite concerned Russian troops, Russian forces, may be seeking to gain control of,” Nuland said. “So, we are working with the Ukrainians on how they can prevent any of those research materials from falling into the hands of Russian forces, should they approach.”

To me, it sounds like $1 billion was allocated and spent - but the desired outcome of that allocation and expenditure was never adequately or fully achieved in its goal of the successful demilitarization of 2 million chemical weapons. It got complicated (Russia became a less willing and cooperative partner) and that was that.
The article does not source that "quote."

So, a facility to destroy chemical weapons is the same as a facility to make chemical weapons?

How long does it take to destroy chemical and bioweapons? 2 decades? Because it sounded to me like if they could do it pretty quickly if they wanted to.

Which begs the question, why were they still there and why has the Pentagon been involved with 6 of the biolabs?

Back
Top Bottom