• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Interesting Cinema History

jmotivator

Computer Gaming Nerd
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
A place to discuss weird and interesting cinema facts...

Quag

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Monty Python used coconuts in the Holy Grail because they couldn't afford horses

jmotivator

Computer Gaming Nerd
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I've been watching a movie this morning that I last saw back in the 1970s, Damnation Alley (full disclosure, I might have seen the TV release). Since the movie is pretty awful, the most fun I had was reading about the movie's throubled production as I watched the movie on my second screen/

Among the things I learned:

1) the awful sky effects were a decision some executive dope made in post production.

2) The movie was intended to be 20th Century Fox's blockbuster film for the year but was hampered by "impossible" special effects leading to the scrapping of an extended scene with giant scorpions... they first tried full scale pupets and then threw up their hands and superimposed real scorpions. Apparently this puzzelingly big budget film was unaware of the long success of stop motion animation...
I mean the special effects of this high budget blockbuster can't be seen anywhere you look other than the custom "Landmaster" vehicle that was the centerpiece of the film.

3) The film was cut down before release from 2h15m to 90min, and to read the list of extended scenes that were cut out, they all were essentially the chararacter and plot elements...

4) The funniest part of the troubled production story is that it was hampered by the studio budgeting was transferring funding away from Damnation Alley, their big budget sci-fi blockbuster project for the summer in order to prop up their low budget sci-fi film slated for that same year... Star Wars

The rest, so they say, is history.

But seriously, watch Damnation Alley, if you dare, and try to square that pile of crap with the fact that 20th Century Fox banked on THAT movie being the big blockbuster film of 1977...

Finally, having finished the movie, I'm puzzled trying to figure out what the purpose of the Landmaster vehicle actually was. It seems they could have accomplished the task with a Winnebago.

THe full film is on YouTube

jmotivator

Computer Gaming Nerd
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
A second interesting factoid I came across this morning...
At the time that Disney was working to produce Snow White, the first cartoon feature film, Warner Brothers worked on, but ultimately abandoned, their own cartoon feature film project.
The film they were working on?

John Carter of Mars

Damn, that would have been so cool...

Here is a quick presentation by one of the animators talking about the project:

TheParser

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Well, the Father of American film, D.W. Griffith, was considered a racist for his monumental "Birth of a Nation."

This silent film is now forbidden to be shown, except to students in college cinema classes.

It is interesting that in later life, he felt that his masterpiece should no longer be shown to the general public. He explained that he felt that particular ethnicity had already suffered enough injustice in this country.

reflechissez

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Well, the Father of American film, D.W. Griffith, was considered a racist for his monumental "Birth of a Nation."

This silent film is now forbidden to be shown, except to students in college cinema classes.

It is interesting that in later life, he felt that his masterpiece should no longer be shown to the general public. He explained that he felt that particular ethnicity had already suffered enough injustice in this country.
Do you bother to check anything before you post?

For your enjoyment:

TheParser

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Do you bother to check anything before you post?

For your enjoyment:

Thank you for the link.

I have never been able to stand more than a few minutes of that film.

It is just boring to me.

Generally speaking, the film is definitely taboo.

Students in public schools are not shown the film nor is the film discussed in history classes.

reflechissez

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Thank you for the link.

It is just boring to me.

Students in public schools are not shown the film nor is the film discussed in history classes.
How do you know that?

j brown's body

CHRISTIAN-ish
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

I saw it on the big screen back in the '70s at art house theater.

j brown's body

CHRISTIAN-ish
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
No movie is better than the book. The Godfather comes closest.

j brown's body

CHRISTIAN-ish
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Thank you for the link.

It is just boring to me.

I show snippets of it to my 11th grade US History class when we do Reconstruction or cover the Myth of the Lost Cause.

It comes up quite a bit in the readings.

TheParser

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I show snippets of it to my 11th grade US History class when we do Reconstruction or cover the Myth of the Lost Cause.

It comes up quite a bit in the readings.
How interesting and informative.

Come to think of it, maybe with CRT spreading in our schools (regardless of what it is called at that level), that silent film is getting some respectability because it may be used to prove the truth of CRT!

So maybe we can say that Mr. Griffith's masterpiece has come full circle.

TheParser

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
How do you know that?
Well, one poster says that it IS used in his history classes.

So I stand corrected.

And because of CRT's rise, the film may become "respectable" because it shows how those folks were portrayed in silent films. It seems to ratify some of CRT's claims.

Not too long ago, any "art" theater that scheduled its showing would be the target of protests.

Maybe in 2022, proponents of CRT want the film to be viewed by more people.

Top Bottom