• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

interest in drug policy

shuku

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Good day, I'm interested in discussing and hearing people's opinions on drug policy, such as the controlled substance act. I'm an oregon college student preparing for pharmacy school. I know that joining this forum will inevitably cause me stress at people opposing my opinions, but I'm willing to hear everybody out who has a logical argument.
If someone could point me in the right direction, or would like to send me a private message, either would be appriciated.

Hello shuku!:2wave:

welcome2.gif

welcbnr.gif

:tink:~Tashah~

shuku said:
Good day, I'm interested in discussing and hearing people's opinions on drug policy, such as the controlled substance act. I'm an oregon college student preparing for pharmacy school. I know that joining this forum will inevitably cause me stress at people opposing my opinions, but I'm willing to hear everybody out who has a logical argument.
If someone could point me in the right direction, or would like to send me a private message, either would be appriciated.

Hi Shuku,

Welcome to the debates. I don't know if I'm going to cause you stress because you didn't state your opinion, but IMO, the Controlled Substance Act is the statute behind the government's drug policy which addresses the issue of use of many drugs through the application of criminal sanctions. I personally believe that this method of addressing recreational drug use -- the drug war -- is a huge failure and waste of resources, and society would be a lot better off if we repealed prohibition. Aside from that, I think many components of the statute are hypocritical (they way it treats marajuana compared to alcohol) and racist as applied (sentences for crack are 100x more sever than power cocaine, for example).

Is that enough to get you stressed a little? :)

shuku said:

Here's what I got to say: If you do illegal drugs, then you're a hippy, if not, then you're a normal citizen.

Donkey1499 said:
Here's what I got to say: If you do illegal drugs, then you're a hippy, if not, then you're a normal citizen.

LOL Let's take a poll: who wants to be a "normal citizen"?

Donkey1499 said:
[Raises Hoof, then smiles] I'd rather be 'normal' than be a hippy.

Square.

Donkey1499 said:
Squares have pointy edges....... you spaz! :mrgreen:

LOL .... 4, I think. That's a good thing?

Iriemon said:
LOL .... 4, I think. That's a good thing?

4 sides, 4 corners, 10 goose eggs, and 9 3/4 pounds of cream cheese. That's what squares have. And if you don't believe me, then look it up. It's in the damn thesaurus!

Donkey1499 said:

Do you think that only hippies use drugs?

I have no hippie friends, but 80% of them use drugs recreationally. The only thing that defines a drug user is a willingness to take personal risks in exchange for for the benefits, and the willingness to break laws. You'd be surpised how many middle class middle age adults who use them.

Donkey1499 said:
4 sides, 4 corners, 10 goose eggs, and 9 3/4 pounds of cream cheese. That's what squares have. And if you don't believe me, then look it up. It's in the damn thesaurus!

Do you mind if we don't talk about squares?

shuku said:
Do you think that only hippies use drugs?

I have no hippie friends, but 80% of them use drugs recreationally. The only thing that defines a drug user is a willingness to take personal risks in exchange for for the benefits, and the willingness to break laws. You'd be surpised how many middle class middle age adults who use them.

The consequences of using illegal substances outweigh the benefits. Those drugs were made illegal for a purpose. And that purpose is to protect people. And yes, they are hippies, all of em'!

Iriemon said:
Hi Shuku,

Welcome to the debates. I don't know if I'm going to cause you stress because you didn't state your opinion, but IMO, the Controlled Substance Act is the statute behind the government's drug policy which addresses the issue of use of many drugs through the application of criminal sanctions. I personally believe that this method of addressing recreational drug use -- the drug war -- is a huge failure and waste of resources, and society would be a lot better off if we repealed prohibition. Aside from that, I think many components of the statute are hypocritical (they way it treats marajuana compared to alcohol) and racist as applied (sentences for crack are 100x more sever than power cocaine, for example).

Is that enough to get you stressed a little? :)

You seem to be on my side, but I've heard of most of those things already. I'm worried about the applications of limiting people's freedoms for the safety that the politicians claim it will give people

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Donkey1499 said:
The consequences of using illegal substances outweigh the benefits. Those drugs were made illegal for a purpose. And that purpose is to protect people. And yes, they are hippies, all of em'!

You are assuming there is a rational and reasonable approach to lawmaking in this country, particularly where it concerns drug and alcohol policy.

A BIG, and unfounded, IMO, assumption.

Arguably, if they wanted to protect people, the drugs would be legalized and regulated so people wouldn't use dangerous street drugs of impure quality and potency.

Donkey1499 said:

Aside from the legal reprecussions of posessing, creating, or distrubuting them, I'd like to know what the consequences of using LSD, psilocybin, DMT, cannabis, and MDMA are.

Iriemon said:
You are assuming there is a rational and reasonable approach to lawmaking in this country, particularly where it concerns drug and alcohol policy.

Arguably, if they wanted to protect people, the drugs would be legalized and regulated so people wouldn't use dangerous street drugs of impure quality and potency.

Just as humans are fallibile, the laws they make are just as susceptable to corruption and misinformation as we are. This is particularly true in a self-contained governement organization, the DEA. Most drug laws were made in lack of fact or science, and based in racism and exercising control over commerce. Now the power to decide on drug laws is out of the hands of the people and because of the severe restrictions on the substances, proper research is obstructed to vindicate them from the lies put into places decades ago.

Iriemon said:

Illegal drugs by themselves are dangerous no matter how well they are regulated.

shuku said:
Aside from the legal reprecussions of posessing, creating, or distrubuting them, I'd like to know what the consequences of using LSD, psilocybin, DMT, cannabis, and MDMA are.

I posted a site above from the UK.

shuku said:
Just as humans are fallibile, the laws they make are just as susceptable to corruption and misinformation as we are. This is particularly true in a self-contained governement organization, the DEA. Most drug laws were made in lack of fact or science, and based in racism and exercising control over commerce. Now the power to decide on drug laws is out of the hands of the people and because of the severe restrictions on the substances, proper research is obstructed to vindicate them from the lies put into places decades ago.

More conspiracy BS from hippies. This crap is bad for ya.

Back
Top Bottom