• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Intelligence Sources: Rohani Prepared to Shut Down Nuclear Site

Fallenangel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Dunno if Spiegel is considered as MSM or not, but.

image-491728-galleryV9-yvdv.jpg

Iranian President Rohani Prepared to Decomission Nuclear Site - SPIEGEL ONLINE

"...the long-smoldering nuclear dispute with Tehran may be about to take a sensational turn. SPIEGEL has learned from intelligence sources that Iran's new president, Hassan Rohani, is reportedly prepared to decommission the Fordo enrichment plant and allow international inspectors to monitor the removal of the centrifuges. In return, he could demand that the United States and Europe rescind their sanctions against the Islamic Republic, lift the ban on Iranian oil exports and allow the country's central bank to do international business again."

Meanwhile in Iran... they see an opportunity and try to play their cards as best as they can.

Cheers,
Fallen.

If they are, good.

If not, ****.

I'm inclined not to believe any advancement proposed by any head of government who was not elected in fair and unbiased elections. Nor am I inclined to believe any advancement proposed by a country essentially ruled by a theocracy.

That said, if it can be confirmed by outside sources and the decommissioning run by outside sources, it may have some promise.

I'm inclined to believe that Iranian intelligence has heard something from inside Israel that leads them to believe an assault on their facilities is imminent and this is an attempt to freeze out such a move.

Dunno if Spiegel is considered as MSM or not, but.
Yup. I believe it's the biggest weekly news magazine in Europe.

"...the long-smoldering nuclear dispute with Tehran may be about to take a sensational turn. SPIEGEL has learned from intelligence sources that Iran's new president, Hassan Rohani, is reportedly prepared to decommission the Fordo enrichment plant and allow international inspectors to monitor the removal of the centrifuges. In return, he could demand that the United States and Europe rescind their sanctions against the Islamic Republic, lift the ban on Iranian oil exports and allow the country's central bank to do international business again." Meanwhile in Iran... they see an opportunity and try to play their cards as best as they can.
That is absolutely brilliant news! I seriously hope that the US and Europe rescind the sanctions in return. Cheers all around. :)

I'm inclined not to believe any advancement proposed by any head of government who was not elected in fair and unbiased elections. Nor am I inclined to believe any advancement proposed by a country essentially ruled by a theocracy.

That said, if it can be confirmed by outside sources and the decommissioning run by outside sources, it may have some promise.

I'm inclined to believe that Iranian intelligence has heard something from inside Israel that leads them to believe an assault on their facilities is imminent and this is an attempt to freeze out such a move.

Heya CJ. :2wave: I would agree. Not only that but Putin is sending Modified S 300's to Iran. With the Promise of building a second reactor Bushehr. Would this second reactor be closer to the other in the use of enrichment? Rather than enriching at Frodo.

Report: Russia to renew offer to supply s-300s to Iran

cc43db6d-ba5c-47d7-bf17-c378ba5a7477_16x9_600x338.jpg

Russian President Vladimir Putin will offer to supply Iran S-300 air defense missile systems as well as build a second reactor at the Bushehr nuclear plant, the Kommersant business daily reported Wednesday.

Putin will renew an old offer to supply Iran with five of the sophisticated ground-to-air missile systems at a meeting with Iranian President Hassan Rowhani on Friday, Kommersant said, quoting a souce close to the Kremlin.

Putin is set to meet Rowhani at a summit of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization held in Kyrgyzstan on Friday.

The source told Kommersant that Russia’s offer would depend on Iran's withdrawing a $4 billion lawsuit that it has lodged at an international court in Geneva against Russia’s arms export agency.

Kommersant wrote that Putin would offer to supply Tehran with a modified export version of the S-300 systems called S-300VM Antey-2500.

The source also said that Putin was ready to sign a deal with Iran on building a second reactor for the Bushehr nuclear plant
Russia completed the construction of Bushehr, which is Iran’s only functioning nuclear power station, despite protests from Israel and the United States......snip~

Report: Russia to renew offer to supply s-300s to Iran - Alarabiya.net English | Front Page

Heya CJ. :2wave: I would agree. Not only that but Putin is sending Modified S 300's to Iran. With the Promise of building a second reactor Bushehr. Would this second reactor be closer to the other in the use of enrichment? Rather than enriching at Frodo.

Report: Russia to renew offer to supply s-300s to Iran

Russian President Vladimir Putin will offer to supply Iran S-300 air defense missile systems as well as build a second reactor at the Bushehr nuclear plant, the Kommersant business daily reported Wednesday.

Putin will renew an old offer to supply Iran with five of the sophisticated ground-to-air missile systems at a meeting with Iranian President Hassan Rowhani on Friday, Kommersant said, quoting a souce close to the Kremlin.

Putin is set to meet Rowhani at a summit of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization held in Kyrgyzstan on Friday.

The source told Kommersant that Russia’s offer would depend on Iran's withdrawing a $4 billion lawsuit that it has lodged at an international court in Geneva against Russia’s arms export agency.

Kommersant wrote that Putin would offer to supply Tehran with a modified export version of the S-300 systems called S-300VM Antey-2500.

The source also said that Putin was ready to sign a deal with Iran on building a second reactor for the Bushehr nuclear plant
Russia completed the construction of Bushehr, which is Iran’s only functioning nuclear power station, despite protests from Israel and the United States......snip~

Report: Russia to renew offer to supply s-300s to Iran - Alarabiya.net English | Front Page

Seems like Iran is always putting out contradictory statements. Kind of like we have been doing recently. Except, their contradictions are strategically motivated to delay and confuse. Even if Rowhani wanted to get relations back on track with the west and open his country back up to a better economic situation, who thinks the Ayatollah would budge?

Iran getting out of the nuclear arms business sounds like a bit of news just too good to be true, particularly in light of MMC's post above.

Time will tell.

Yup. I believe it's the biggest weekly news magazine in Europe.

Yeah I know, I just wasn't sure regarding the rules.

That is absolutely brilliant news! I seriously hope that the US and Europe rescind the sanctions in return. Cheers all around. :)

I personally don't share your enthusiasm regarding Iran's nuclear program and the possible future developments on the issue.

Fallen.

Seems like Iran is always putting out contradictory statements. Kind of like we have been doing recently. Except, their contradictions are strategically motivated to delay and confuse. Even if Rowhani wanted to get relations back on track with the west and open his country back up to a better economic situation, who thinks the Ayatollah would budge?

Heya SBU. :2wave: Yeah this was after Iran sent the word about what would happen if we hit Syria. Now this comes along.....they just got done watching us Do the 2-step. So I think they are testing the waters. Hoping they can get someone to make some sort of statement that they can use to come back on.

As there is no way this Guy has control of Iran and who actually is making the decisions there.

Heya SBU. :2wave: Yeah this was after Iran sent the word about what would happen if we hit Syria. Now this comes along.....they just got done watching us Do the 2-step. So I think they are testing the waters. Hoping they can get someone to make some sort of statement that they can use to come back on.

As there is no way this Guy has control of Iran and who actually is making the decisions there.

I've seen this episode on law and order before, it's called good cop, bad cop.

More on the same topic.

As was reported on the Israeli news Channel 10 few moments ago;
According to some sources in the US there were contacts and developments between the US and Iran on an agreement regarding the Iranian nuclear program.

These new developments might explain the hard stance that Israel suddenly took on the Syrian-Iranian issue:
“Bad guys” backed by Iran are worse for Israel than “bad guys” who are not supported by the Islamic Republic, Israel’s outgoing ambassador to the US Michael Oren told The Jerusalem Post in a parting interview.
'Israel wanted Assad gone since start of Syria civil war' | JPost | Israel News

Moreover, this notion of the "new Israeli hard line" is reinforced by the newly agreed meeting between Obama and Netanyahu in the end of the month.
In which Netanyahu would apparently present to Obama (and possibly the world) 4 Israeli "red line" points regarding the Iranian nuclear program, and the negotiations around it.

Translated from Hebrew via Google translate with small changes by moi:

Iran Focus: a meeting between Obama and Netanyahu end of the month

Tonight it was agreed that the two leaders would meet on 30th of September, during Netanyahu's visit to the United States, and the next day the Prime Minister will speak to the United Nations. Expected major issues come up at the meeting: developments in Syria and Iran. "Events of recent days have confirmed the assumptions under which we operate" said Netanyahu. It would be their first meeting since Obama's visit to Israel last March .

Political - political | Updated 10:00 09/17/2013

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and U.S. President Barack Obama would meet during Netanyahu's visit to the United States, which will begin on Saturday, 28th of September. The meeting would be held will be held on Monday, September 30, and the next day Netanyahu would address the UN General Assembly.

This will be the first meeting between Netanyahu and Obama since U.S. President's visit last to Israel six months ago. The meeting will be mostly in the background of recent developments in Syria - the agreement between the United States and Russia on the dissolution of Syria's chemical weapons - and Iran.

During a cabinet meeting Netanyahu addressed the expected meeting and speech at the United Nations, which he said will focus on stopping Iran's nuclear program. "The way to stop the nuclear program requires four steps - stop all uranium enrichment, removing any enriched uranium from its territory closing the Qom underground reactor and stop the plutonium route. Only the combination of all four steps of a real stop nuclear program" -Netanyahu said .

"Until all these steps achieved the pressure on Iran should be intensified rather than loosen, and certainly not to ease" he added. "The events of recent days have confirmed the assumptions under which we operate: a rogue country which develops or takes over weapons of mass destruction, would ultimately use them. Only credible military threat can allow diplomatic processes and other measures to stop arming non-conventional weapons."

Israel fears the option where Western sanctions on Iran are removed, the country (Iran) will not stop uranium enrichment, and the already enriched Uranium leaves its borders (Iran's). The German Der Spiegel reported yesterday that the Iranians are ready to dismantle the Fordo nuclear facility for the removal of sanctions on its economy.

In recent days the international media reported the approach of relations between the United States regarding Iran. However, the White House announced tonight that contrary to previous reports, unscheduled meeting between Obama and Iranian President Hassan Rohani, is not planned. They also are expected to address the United Nations on the same day, just a week from today, on the 24th of the month. Recently, attempts were made to coordinate the meeting between Netanyahu and Obama, and tonight, as above, is the meeting between the two was arranged

By Moav Vardi

Link to the original news article (in Hebrew).
Iran Focus: a meeting between Obama and Netanyahu end of the month (In Hebrew)

Cheers,
Fallen.

Back
Top Bottom