• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Intelligence and Belief

Conaeolos

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
When I was young: I struggled a lot with reading and writing due to dyslexia. This gathers a lot of attention in childhood. For this reason at the time I assumed that I comparatively must fall at least slightly below the average in terms of intelligence. My grades were all over the map. I cared very little for reading or learning. No one I knew was particularly smart nor interested in developing in that way. School and learning were mostly me arguing and getting confused at why people could hold opinions other than mine. Arguing was in fact a very common theme. In retrospect I did spend a lot of time watching information, as you might guess, this though was in a very opinioned form and really just further fed my already argumentative tendencies.

Later in life, I did have the opportunity to study more than most having both resources, time and aimlessness as no authority was pushing any set outcome. It was here that old view was challenged. In that time, I began join in on the process of experimentation and be shown the meaningfulness of comparative measurement outside simply arguing and winning debate. It was in this time I learned, I actually statistically fell in the 99 percentile of mathematical abilities - spotting pattens faster and a much greater rate than on average. I additionally learned many people saw visual representations of their thoughts allowing for forms of eidetic visualization and recall. I had till that point never had such an experience, as all my internal thoughts are kinetic or audial, at least outside an actual dream state. These two factors could explain many previous experiences and struggle, and may well explain why my dyslexia manifested in the first place.

Indeed , a mother of a girl I was dating, a teacher, showed me a paper commenting at how crazy it was this kid could be in her class. It was pure nonsense she insisted. I read the paper without a skip, my brain simply corrected it in real time and there seemed no issue other than so messy spelling and poor grammar. I suddenly realized what I am sure most know from an early age: the corrections and criticisms given on my work/ideas to date was only a small reflection of the error people actually perceived. My lack of improvement correlated to my naive belief my writing and communications reflected only the minor errors highlighted for my attention. (I was quite an arrogant person)

It was that experience that sparked a curious notion I have be exploring for a very long time. How much does our psychological uniqueness & intellectual capacity actually effect our beliefs? And I don't mean in like the superficial sense like if one believes in the supernatural or not. I mean like for example if a highly intelligent person who's brain capacity is undoubtable above average writes a book or expresses an idea. How many people/reader with less capacity(in that sense) can actually understand what is communicated? And if most can't understand it, to what degree do the misconceptions spread as general information? Further to what degree do those misconceptions cause havok and problems?

I am curious to hear the opinions here: how much do you think psychological factors & intellectual capacity(within any give subject) plays into one beliefs and the current common knowledge and norms? How much chaos and societal problems do you think are caused by these disparities?

Currently. I would suspect that those slightly above average people hold the monopoly on credibility. Those too outside the norm likely as with my dyslexia develop little credibility with any insights trapped in the esoteric. I suspect because of this there remains many common misconceptions and much of our societies chaos is rooted in this disparity. That said, I also think that means a lot of the best wisdom is poorly explained. In so much as I think that 'average thinker' is likely to understand much more than they are able to communicate and probably more than the slightly above who are far mostly likely IMHO to read the esoteric and misinterpret it for missing that small extra edge.

There must be a connection between mental capacity and belief inasmuch as belief is basically mental acceptance of a proposition.
Influence must run in both directions -- mental capacity on belief; belief on mental capacity.
Take Richard Dawkins, for example. High mental capacity made him a biologist; ridiculous beliefs about religion diminish his mental capacity.

Back
Top Bottom