• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Intellegent Design is not Based on Creation?

tecoyah

Back
DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 30, 2005
Messages
9,777
Reaction score
3,417
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
If indeed , as many of the christian sect claim, ID is not a way to get creationist thinking into the schools.....I would very much like to know where this came from.

DOVER, Pa. -- Pat Robertson had a special message for residents of Dover, Pa., today after voters there elected to boot the current school board, which instituted an intelligent design policy that led to a federal trial.

Robertson made the comment after Lee Webb of CBN News delivered a report on how residents in Dover voted in eight new Democratic board members, replacing all eight current members who had voted for a policy that required students in ninth-grade biology classes to hear a statement on intelligent design before hearing lessons on evolution. Webb then asked Robertson what he thought about the vote.

Here was Robertson's response.

"I'd like to say to the good citizens of Dover: If there is a disaster in your area, don't turn to God, you just rejected him from your city. And don't wonder why he hasn't helped you when problems begin, if they begin. I'm not saying they will, but if they do, just remember, you just voted God out of your city. And if that's the case, don't ask for his help because he might not be there."


the Link:

http://www.wgal.com/news/5297399/detail.html
 

Gibberish

DP Veteran
Joined
Oct 18, 2005
Messages
6,339
Reaction score
1,269
Location
San Diego, CA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Moderate
tecoyah said:
If indeed , as many of the christian sect claim, ID is not a way to get creationist thinking into the schools.....I would very much like to know where this came from.

DOVER, Pa. -- Pat Robertson had a special message for residents of Dover, Pa., today after voters there elected to boot the current school board, which instituted an intelligent design policy that led to a federal trial.

Robertson made the comment after Lee Webb of CBN News delivered a report on how residents in Dover voted in eight new Democratic board members, replacing all eight current members who had voted for a policy that required students in ninth-grade biology classes to hear a statement on intelligent design before hearing lessons on evolution. Webb then asked Robertson what he thought about the vote.

Here was Robertson's response.

"I'd like to say to the good citizens of Dover: If there is a disaster in your area, don't turn to God, you just rejected him from your city. And don't wonder why he hasn't helped you when problems begin, if they begin. I'm not saying they will, but if they do, just remember, you just voted God out of your city. And if that's the case, don't ask for his help because he might not be there."


the Link:

http://www.wgal.com/news/5297399/detail.html
:rofl

Pat Robertson is hilarious I would pay to see him live. Though I don't think he means to be a comedian.
 

scottyz

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
1,575
Reaction score
0
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Moderate
ID is just repackaged creationism. I didn't know that was ever in question.
 

jallman

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 12, 2005
Messages
36,915
Reaction score
11,283
Location
Los Angeles, CA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Centrist
scottyz said:
ID is just repackaged creationism. I didn't know that was ever in question.
I agree totally. ID and creationism deserve to be discussed in philosophy or a comparative religions class. Possibly maybe a current events class only because of the conflict and debate it has brought about in the courts today. At most, ID is a tactic by the religious right to blur the lines between church and state during the formative years of our public school students.
 

Old and wise

Active member
Joined
Aug 28, 2005
Messages
310
Reaction score
0
Location
New England
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
Gibberish said:
:rofl

Pat Robertson is hilarious I would pay to see him live. Though I don't think he means to be a comedian.
He is not a comedian, he is a complete idiot. Just think, he actually ran for President a few years ago. Can you imagine what this country would be like if he had gotten elected? We are in bad enough shape now without having someone like him at the helm.:roll:
 

UtahBill

DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 30, 2005
Messages
18,265
Reaction score
6,648
Location
Utah
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Moderate
Old and wise said:
He is not a comedian, he is a complete idiot. Just think, he actually ran for President a few years ago. Can you imagine what this country would be like if he had gotten elected? We are in bad enough shape now without having someone like him at the helm.:roll:
Yes, lucky for us that GWB is only a pale imitation of Pat Robertson.:lol:
 

Old and wise

Active member
Joined
Aug 28, 2005
Messages
310
Reaction score
0
Location
New England
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
UtahBill said:
Yes, lucky for us that GWB is only a pale imitation of Pat Robertson.:lol:
You got it right, but I'm not so sure about the pale imitation.:rofl
 

dsg94

New member
Joined
Sep 11, 2005
Messages
15
Reaction score
3
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Its a 1 minute statement saying that some(most people) think that there was a creator. What harm is there in stating that fact.
 

UtahBill

DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 30, 2005
Messages
18,265
Reaction score
6,648
Location
Utah
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Moderate
dsg94 said:
Its a 1 minute statement saying that some(most people) think that there was a creator. What harm is there in stating that fact.
Just stating that there is even the remotest possibility that there is some intelligence behind it all scares the evolutionists as much as evolution scares the religionists.
 

scottyz

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
1,575
Reaction score
0
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Moderate
UtahBill said:
Just stating that there is even the remotest possibility that there is some intelligence behind it all scares the evolutionists as much as evolution scares the religionists.
I don't see why evolution can't be part of Gods design. A lot of it isn't intelligent though.
 

UtahBill

DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 30, 2005
Messages
18,265
Reaction score
6,648
Location
Utah
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Moderate
scottyz said:
I don't see why evolution can't be part of Gods design. A lot of it isn't intelligent though.
OK, enough about GWB! The thing that is the most scary is that he is the best that Texas could supply.
Perhaps God's input ended a long time ago and now we are de-volving?
 

steen

Lie Detector
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 27, 2005
Messages
4,081
Reaction score
0
Location
Upper Midwest
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
dsg94 said:
Its a 1 minute statement saying that some(most people) think that there was a creator. What harm is there in stating that fact.
How do you know that to be a "fact" rather than a belief? It certainly isn't science unless there is actual, tested evidence like there is for the Scientific Theory of Evolution.

You are nopt one of those mislead people who portray wishful thinking and beliefs as facts, are you?
 

steen

Lie Detector
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 27, 2005
Messages
4,081
Reaction score
0
Location
Upper Midwest
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
scottyz said:
I don't see why evolution can't be part of Gods design.
Certainly. However, there is no evidence for it; it can not be documented through the Scientific Method, and therefore is not Science.
 
T

The Real McCoy

scottyz said:
I don't see why evolution can't be part of Gods design. A lot of it isn't intelligent though.


Like humans? Whose to argue what is and isn't intelligent in the universe?
 
T

The Real McCoy

As much faith as I have in science, it can only answer "How?", not "Why?"
 

UtahBill

DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 30, 2005
Messages
18,265
Reaction score
6,648
Location
Utah
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Moderate
The Real McCoy said:
As much faith as I have in science, it can only answer "How?", not "Why?"
Oooh, good one. I like that. Yeah, we can explain the how of a lot of things, but the real mystery is the why.
I suspect that there is no answer for that in this lifetime, and if there really is a hereafter, I gots me a lot of questions to ask whoever is in charge!:2wave:
 

scottyz

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
1,575
Reaction score
0
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Moderate
The Real McCoy said:
Like humans? Whose to argue what is and isn't intelligent in the universe?
Your own body has examples of unintelligent design.
 

UtahBill

DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 30, 2005
Messages
18,265
Reaction score
6,648
Location
Utah
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Moderate
scottyz said:
Your own body has examples of unintelligent design.
Such as? Besides men's nipples, that is....
 

scottyz

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
1,575
Reaction score
0
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Moderate
UtahBill said:
Such as? Besides men's nipples, that is....
The human eye. I'm aware that there are many ID and creationist sites that say otherwise, but they probably also claim that the find of a vertically buried whale skeleton is proof the earth is only a few thousand years old...
 

steen

Lie Detector
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 27, 2005
Messages
4,081
Reaction score
0
Location
Upper Midwest
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
The Real McCoy said:
As much faith as I have in science, it can only answer "How?", not "Why?"
Exactly. That is what Science does, the exploration of how and what. For the why, we look to religion, philosophy and so on. To claim that science must explain the why is unreal.
 

steen

Lie Detector
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 27, 2005
Messages
4,081
Reaction score
0
Location
Upper Midwest
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
scottyz said:
The human eye. I'm aware that there are many ID and creationist sites that say otherwise, but they probably also claim that the find of a vertically buried whale skeleton is proof the earth is only a few thousand years old...
I am not aware of a creati9onist site that does not lie in some way or another. For creationists to call on their sites as evidence of anything is merely a sign that they are ignorant, duped, or dishonest.
 
T

The Real McCoy

scottyz said:
The human eye. I'm aware that there are many ID and creationist sites that say otherwise, but they probably also claim that the find of a vertically buried whale skeleton is proof the earth is only a few thousand years old...
The human eye is arguably the MOST intelligently designed organ next to the brain itself (this coming from extensive scientific research, not faith-based scripture spouting.)



UtahBill said:
Such as? Besides men's nipples, that is....
But without my nipples, where am I to attach my boobie tassels and nipple clips? :confused:
 

UtahBill

DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 30, 2005
Messages
18,265
Reaction score
6,648
Location
Utah
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Moderate
The Real McCoy said:
But without my nipples, where am I to attach my boobie tassels and nipple clips? :confused:
To your girl friend? :shock:
 

scottyz

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
1,575
Reaction score
0
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Moderate
The Real McCoy said:
The human eye is arguably the MOST intelligently designed organ next to the brain itself (this coming from extensive scientific research, not faith-based scripture spouting.)
Yet it still has flaws that a all knowing engineer shouldn't have made.
 
Top Bottom