• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Intel chief: North Korea 'unlikely to give up its nuclear weapons'

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://thehill.com/policy/national...korea-unlikely-to-give-up-its-nuclear-weapons

Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats on Tuesday threw cold water on the idea that North Korea will fully get rid of nuclear weapon stockpiles, stating that the country views these capabilities as key to their survival.

"We currently assess that North Korea will seek to retain its [Weapons of Mass Destruction] capabilities," Coats told members of the Senate Intelligence Committee during the panel's worldwide threats hearing.
=============================================
So much for The Donald's photo ops with Kim. Net result = 0.

Intel chief: North Korea 'unlikely to give up its nuclear weapons'

Incredible. Totally wouldn't have predicted that one.

Denuclearization was never a possibility, imo. What we need to focus on are the people themselves. Open internet. Let them see the outside world.

Denuclearization was never a possibility, imo. What we need to focus on are the people themselves. Open internet. Let them see the outside world.

That's a bit hard to do since N. Korea's government controls all lines going into and out of N. Korea. We're not the ones that have closed the internet to the people of N. Korea. N. Korea's government has.

I do agree that it was never a possibility just through talks though.

https://thehill.com/policy/national...korea-unlikely-to-give-up-its-nuclear-weapons

Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats on Tuesday threw cold water on the idea that North Korea will fully get rid of nuclear weapon stockpiles, stating that the country views these capabilities as key to their survival.

"We currently assess that North Korea will seek to retain its [Weapons of Mass Destruction] capabilities," Coats told members of the Senate Intelligence Committee during the panel's worldwide threats hearing.

At least he tried. :shrug: What did Bush Sr., Clinton, Bush Jr. and Obama do?

That's a bit hard to do since N. Korea's government controls all lines going into and out of N. Korea. We're not the ones that have closed the internet to the people of N. Korea. N. Korea's government has.

I do agree that it was never a possibility just through talks though.

So when Trump said we could Trust Kim and that he was a good guy and we could believe him, Trump was either:

A: Gullible
B: Lying

Which one?

No, his primary drive was a photo op. EVERYONE against this KNEW the situation for what it was. Trump didn't "try", he ignored everything that anyone with a hint of knowledge of NK was telling him that he ignored. Instead he gave Kim EXACTLY what he wanted, the international stage and recognition.

Now, you would think Trump would have learned from his mistakes right? NOPE, Trump has instead decided to do this ALL over again with another summit. At what point do you recognize Trump is incompetent?

Saddam did not move his stockpiles of poison gas WMDs to Syria until American troops showed up on his border. NK has never stopped building nuclear weapons no matter how much money America has thrown to the lying dogs who constantly yapped that they would if given enough money. And Iran laughs at idiots in America who think Iran will become buddies with the US and will stop bombing American troops and will stop trying to destroy America proper if given billions in US cash.

No, his primary drive was a photo op. EVERYONE against this KNEW the situation for what it was. Trump didn't "try", he ignored everything that anyone with a hint of knowledge of NK was telling him that he ignored. Instead he gave Kim EXACTLY what he wanted, the international stage and recognition.

Now, you would think Trump would have learned from his mistakes right? NOPE, Trump has instead decided to do this ALL over again with another summit. At what point do you recognize Trump is incompetent?

Kim has had an international stage and recognition long before Trump came around. Or did you forget that Kim was talked about by Obama and the media before Trump even ran for the Presidency? NK has been a continual thorn in the US's side for decades. Always getting into our news and other countries news feeds.

Kim has had an international stage and recognition long before Trump came around. Or did you forget that Kim was talked about by Obama and the media before Trump even ran for the Presidency? NK has been a continual thorn in the US's side for decades. Always getting into our news and other countries news feeds.

No, Kim was largely ignored and not given a stage WITH the US president for a reason. He was always a squawker, but never taken seriously. Trump gave Kim exactly what he wanted recognition by the United States president.

Do you know why Diplomats emails are classified? Even the ones that have nothing to do with any sort of policy?

Notice the key word there, classified? You don't have to praise a dictator like Kim PUBLICLY as Trump did. Funny you have no problem with Trump attacking and insulting American leaders and you have no problem with Trump praising dictators. Is there anything you will criticize Trump for? You guys had not problem criticizing Obama for every little thing but you defend all of Trump's actions.

No, Kim was largely ignored and not given a stage WITH the US president for a reason. He was always a squawker, but never taken seriously. Trump gave Kim exactly what he wanted recognition by the United States president.

Oh....WITH the POTUS. That's the only difference?

Tell me, do you really expect NK to change their ways without direct interaction on what appears to be an equal footing?

For decades Presidents have not "given a stage" with NK. How has that worked out for us and the world? NK got nukes. That's how it worked out for us and the world. All past Presidents tried to do is use sanctions. Did that prevent NK from getting nukes? Nope. It didn't. It was a policy that, over decades, failed. The definition of insanity is to keep trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Now you're pissed that Trump actually tried to do something personally? Something different? Somehow I've got the feeling that if a Democrat President had been the one to try and do what Trump did you'd be chanting a completely different tune. One of support instead of condemnation.

Oh....WITH the POTUS. That's the only difference?

Tell me, do you really expect NK to change their ways without direct interaction on what appears to be an equal footing?

For decades Presidents have not "given a stage" with NK. How has that worked out for us and the world? NK got nukes. That's how it worked out for us and the world. All past Presidents tried to do is use sanctions. Did that prevent NK from getting nukes? Nope. It didn't. It was a policy that, over decades, failed. The definition of insanity is to keep trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Now you're pissed that Trump actually tried to do something personally? Something different? Somehow I've got the feeling that if a Democrat President had been the one to try and do what Trump did you'd be chanting a completely different tune. One of support instead of condemnation.

Nope I was stationed on the Korean Peninsula for over 6 years of my service when I was in. He has done nothing to indicate he is any different than his father or grandfather. Just because something is different, doesn't mean it is better to try. I know that I will cut myself on a moving saw, so I know not to put my hand into it. His advisers even told him not to do that and he ignored them all for a photo op. You have just demonstrated that you will defend ANYTHING Trump does no matter how much damage it causes. Sad that you are unable to actual process the damage Trump has done in this situation but not surprised.

I to am SHOCKED that North Korea has not agreed to eliminate their nuclear capabilities after one meeting with Trump.

Look at how easy it was for Kerry/Obama to give back over $100 billion to Iran for not doing the intelligence agencies said they were not doing anyhow! Wow Obama and his cultists are really smart. Those Trump cultists really dumb, correct?

Notice the key word there, classified? You don't have to praise a dictator like Kim PUBLICLY as Trump did. Funny you have no problem with Trump attacking and insulting American leaders and you have no problem with Trump praising dictators. Is there anything you will criticize Trump for? You guys had not problem criticizing Obama for every little thing but you defend all of Trump's actions.

You didn't answer the question. Not surprised. Here, I'll answer it for you.

Diplomats emails are classified in all instances because at times diplomats may say unkind things towards the people that they are supposed to be using diplomacy on. Things that may harm relations.

In other words part of being diplomatic is saying either neutral things or words of praise depending on the situation. Never ever, when being diplomatic, do you say unkind things. That is diplomacy 101.

I'd like to say more but I have to go take my mom to the doctors. ttyl. When I get back I'll show you that I can criticize Trump and perhaps if I'm not feeling lazy I'll show you a past post or two of me criticizing him.

Diplomats emails are classified in all instances because at times diplomats may say unkind things towards the people that they are supposed to be using diplomacy on. Things that may harm relations.

Yep and as I said, classified. That doesn't mean you have to go on a praising tour with a dictator like Trump did. Are you saying he was FORCED to praise a dictator? Let's see your evidence of that.

In other words part of being diplomatic is saying either neutral things or words of praise depending on the situation. Never ever, when being diplomatic, do you say unkind things. That is diplomacy 101.

There is NO reason to PRAISE a dictator like Kim, NONE. I can understand the "neutral" take on things, but what Trump did wasn't neutral. He flat out LIED to the American people saying Kim was a good guy and could be trusted. NOONE forced Trump to say those praises of a brutal dictator. And yet again, Trump praises publicly a brutal dictator while insulting American federal agencies, politicians, and other people. So tell me how that is "diplomatic"?

I'd like to say more but I have to go take my mom to the doctors. ttyl. When I get back I'll show you that I can criticize Trump and perhaps if I'm not feeling lazy I'll show you a past post or two of me criticizing him.

Well you sure aren't doing this in THIS case and have yet to explain why you think it is ok for Trump to PRAISE a brutal dictator while insulting numerous American people and allies.

That was never an effort. That was PR....both sides and its obvious which side got the most out of it, Its not even close.

I to am SHOCKED that North Korea has not agreed to eliminate their nuclear capabilities after one meeting with Trump.

Look at how easy it was for Kerry/Obama to give back over $100 billion to Iran for not doing the intelligence agencies said they were not doing anyhow! Wow Obama and his cultists are really smart. Those Trump cultists really dumb, correct?

thank you slightly liberal poster for your "watabout". I just have to wonder what your version of "liberal" is when you post things like this. and you do it all the time. So please back up this "Iran for not doing the intelligence agencies said they were not doing anyhow" narrative. Remember, slightly liberal posters love to post facts.

Apparently, you don't value the supposed leader of the free world standing side by side with KJU and grinning like an idiot in front of mixed NK and American flags as an image that is significant for KJU. I beg to differ....in the extreme for that matter.

Lets not forget that according to Trump they "fell in love" either. Made me sick. Still does.

The public side of this didn't fit that parameter:

Trump tweet said:
North Korean Leader Kim Jong Un just stated that the “Nuclear Button is on his desk at all times.” Will someone from his depleted and food starved regime please inform him that I too have a Nuclear Button, but it is a much bigger & more powerful one than his, and my Button works!

Then of course he called Jong-un "little rocket man". An odd form of diplomacy.

Back
Top Bottom