• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Insurgents infiltrating Iraqi police

scottyz

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - About 5,500 additional Iraqi police have been trained in the last three months, but infiltration of the police by insurgents remains a significant problem, the
Pentagon said on Thursday in a report aimed at measuring progress in
Iraq.

While the "infiltration harms the ability of the police to combat the insurgency, it does not render the forces incapable," the report said, adding that the "exact extent of insurgent infiltration is unknown at this time."

It said insurgents are having more success infiltrating the Iraqi police forces than the military "because police are often recruited by local police chiefs with little coalition oversight."

The unclassified version of the Pentagon's report appeared to shed little new light on conditions in Iraq as it heads toward a referendum this weekend on a new constitution.

Democrats criticized the latest installment as vague, and another example of
President George W. Bush's failure to show how the United States can extricate itself from Iraq.

"Even today, the administration submitted a report to Congress on troop training that again failed to set out a plan," said Sen. Edward Kennedy (news, bio, voting record), a Massachusetts Democrat.

"They won't tell American people what they want to know: when the Iraqi security forces will be fully capable of fighting on their own. That's the key to achieving victory."

The report said a total of 67,500 police have been trained and equipped so far, up 5,500 since the last report in July, but behind the goal of having 75,000 police by Saturday's constitutional referendum.

Police absenteeism is a "significant problem in areas where there is considerable strife, such as Fallujah, Ramadi and Samarra" largely because of intimidation by insurgents, itsaid.

With Congress pressing for more progress in training Iraqi military forces to eventually replace U.S. troops, the report said 10,000 more soldiers, sailors and airmen had been trained since the last report in July, bringing the total to 87,000.

The report acknowledged that just one Iraqi battalion is considered fully independent. But it said 36 Iraqi Army and special operations combat battalions had reached "level two" training where they can operate with minimal direct U.S. support, up from 24 in July.

"It is at level two that Iraqi units can take their own battle space, and it is at that level -- where there has been steady progress -- that the coalition is focusing efforts," the report said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051013/wl_nm/iraq_report_dc

Any reason that for the last two weeks, you have started 15 threads?

Do you plan on debating anything, or do you just like to play "cut & paste" with every article you happen to agree with?...:roll:

This was reported on British TV news channels last night, only it was about Basra.

Apprantly the Basra Police that the British trained is now barring the British army to access oil refineries, police stations, even parts of Basra.

Also the British army arrested 12 men in connections with road side bombings, a few of those men were British-trained Basra police.
Relations between the British and the IRaqi's have gone downhill ever since the British stormed an Iraqi jail containing two British servicemen.

I think we're beginning to lose are grip on Basra - it's only a matter of time now.

>>WASHINGTON (Reuters) - About 5,500 additional Iraqi police have been trained in the last three months, but infiltration of the police by insurgents remains a significant problem,<<

Is there suppose to be something new here?

cnredd said:
Any reason that for the last two weeks, you have started 15 threads?

Do you plan on debating anything, or do you just like to play "cut & paste" with every article you happen to agree with?...:roll:
Am I breaking the rules? I haven't been debating on this site?

scottyz said:
Am I breaking the rules? I haven't been debating on this site?
Not breaking the rules at all...I spoke as a member of the forum and not a Moderator...

It just seems that the articles you post are just that...articles...you don't give any opinion or relevant questions pertaining to it...

It seems that other forum members have to build up the momentum for the thread...a couple of died out with few posts...

I suspect it's because forum members read the article and say to themselves, "And?"...

cnredd said:
Not breaking the rules at all...I spoke as a member of the forum and not a Moderator...

It just seems that the articles you post are just that...articles...you don't give any opinion or relevant questions pertaining to it...

It seems that other forum members have to build up the momentum for the thread...a couple of died out with few posts...

I suspect it's because forum members read the article and say to themselves, "And?"...

only good if they are pro bush right!

Back
Top Bottom