• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Instant Replay in baseball

Should baseball use instant replay?

• No, leave it as it is

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Yes, with an out being the penalty for a coach being wrong

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, with a pitch clock

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Yes, at the umpire's discretion only

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Thorgasm

Bus Driver to Hell
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Should they use instant replay in baseball? I mean in the instance of home runs, fan interference, out/safe, fair/foul, hit batsmen/fouled of batter. Obviously, you can't use it for balls and strikes (though it would be nice if there was a way to do it, effeciently). I know it might slow down the game that is slow enough. Perhaps they could institute a pitch clock. Or perhaps if a coach challenged it and was wrong it would cost them an out. I am all for getting the calls right. I think the "human element" only hurts the integrity of the game.

Not just no, HELL NO!

You'll get over that Cardinal loss soon enough, don't try and ruin a hundred year tradition.;)

It seems like many of the sports are going to instant replay. Of all sports to go instant replay, I think baseball should stay out of that discussion.

Deegan said:
Not just no, HELL NO!

You'll get over that Cardinal loss soon enough, don't try and ruin a hundred year tradition.;)

Don't get my motives wrong. The Cards would have lost that game and series regardless of the missed call. I just don't understand the "tradition" argument. Progress is never made when people want to cite tradition. We had slavery for over a hundred years. Or do you mean the tradition of cheating? The Chicago Black Sox come to mind. Pete Rose. The steroid tradition as of late. Corking bats, Scuffing/Lubing balls. Perhaps the hundred year tradition of getting calls blatantly wrong is ok with you. Perhaps the hundred year tradition of the Cubs being losers is ok too.

I would support an instant replay system, not for balls and strikes, but for home runs, fair/foul ball, and clear fan interference ect. I think it's more imortant to get the call right, then to preserve a tradition of blown calls.

I'm a Yankees fan btw

independent_thinker2002 said:
Don't get my motives wrong. The Cards would have lost that game and series regardless of the missed call. I just don't understand the "tradition" argument. Progress is never made when people want to cite tradition. We had slavery for over a hundred years. Or do you mean the tradition of cheating? The Chicago Black Sox come to mind. Pete Rose. The steroid tradition as of late. Corking bats, Scuffing/Lubing balls. Perhaps the hundred year tradition of getting calls blatantly wrong is ok with you. Perhaps the hundred year tradition of the Cubs being losers is ok too.

Now what were you saying about "not getting your motives wrong" lol?

Sounds to me like you are still sore, sore as hell, and now you're lashing out at my Cubs again, shame on you sir, shame on you. It's a tradition because the game has grown just fine without instant replay, just as everything else in life has, we don't get an instant replay in life, and I can accept that. You on the other hand, you obviously cannot, and that's sad. I think the umpires do a fantastic job, and should be allowed their mistakes, just as any of us should. It's not perfect, but it will never be, and I like it that way, you seem to think that that fantasy can be realized, I strongly disagree sir.;)

Last edited:
Deegan said:
Now what were you saying about "not getting your motives wrong" lol?

Sounds to me like you are still sore, sore as hell, and now you're lashing out at my Cubs again, shame on you sir, shame on you. It's a tradition because the game has grown just fine without instant replay, just as everything else in life has, we don't get an instant replay in life, and I can accept that. You on the other hand, you obviously cannot, and that's sad. I think the umpires do a fantastic job, and should be allowed their mistakes, just as any of us should. It's not perfect, but it will never be, and I like it that way, you seem to think that that fantasy can be realized, I strongly disagree sir.;)

You obviously never worked really hard for a whole year to have something taken away from you because of someone elses ineptitude (I am not talking about the Cardinals, it has happened to numerous teams). If there is the ways and means to fix that, how could you be opposed?

You obviously never worked really hard for a whole year to have something taken away from you because of someone elses ineptitude (I am not talking about the Cardinals, it has happened to numerous teams). If there is the ways and means to fix that, how could you be opposed?

Because it will still never make certain that bad calls will not happen, they will. Just as they are learning in football, you only get two chances to review the plays in question, what about the other ten plays that are questionable? You are still right back where you started from, angry, disappointed, and praying you had just one more opportunity to reverse a decision. Now in football, I can understand why they feel the need to have instant replay, I still don't agree with it, but I can understand it's importance in that game. I have yet to see a call that changed the outcome in a baseball game, sure, I have been pissed at some bad calls, but never have seen a call cost a game. I am sure it's happened, but not nearly enough to need instant replay, it's just not warranted IMHO.

Deegan said:
Because it will still never make certain that bad calls will not happen, they will. Just as they are learning in football, you only get two chances to review the plays in question, what about the other ten plays that are questionable? You are still right back where you started from, angry, disappointed, and praying you had just one more opportunity to reverse a decision. Now in football, I can understand why they feel the need to have instant replay, I still don't agree with it, but I can understand it's importance in that game. I have yet to see a call that changed the outcome in a baseball game, sure, I have been pissed at some bad calls, but never have seen a call cost a game. I am sure it's happened, but not nearly enough to need instant replay, it's just not warranted IMHO.

Out of the 2592 games played in a regular season, how many do you watch? Just because football doesn't have instant replay right doesn't mean that it won't work in another sport. Perhaps police dash cams shouldn't be used in court because football doesn't always get it right. See how silly that sounds?

You can have the opinion that replay doesn't belong. You just can't argue that point logically. Your stance is an emotional one. How else could you justify leaving something flawed when you could improve it. Or are you going to tell me that the camera lies most of the time?

Out of the 2592 games played in a regular season, how many do you watch? Just because football doesn't have instant replay right doesn't mean that it won't work in another sport. Perhaps police dash cams shouldn't be used in court because football doesn't always get it right. See how silly that sounds?

You can have the opinion that replay doesn't belong. You just can't argue that point logically. Your stance is an emotional one. How else could you justify leaving something flawed when you could improve it. Or are you going to tell me that the camera lies most of the time?

If you're so logical in your opinion, why has baseball not installed instant replay?

The answer is simple, it's not needed, nor wanted, and I expect it will never be a reality. As I said, you can never make the game perfect, and mistakes will continue to be made. If you had your way, we would never get to play the game at all, as we would be mired in a never ending cycle of review. This is just not realistic, again, you would still have plays that were not called correctly, this has nothing to do with emotion, it's simple common sense.

Deegan said:
If you're so logical in your opinion, why has baseball not installed instant replay?

As I said, you can never make the game perfect, and mistakes will continue to be made. QUOTE]

You can't make it perfect so why strive for perfection huh? Sounds like someone who does things half-assed. Name one logical thing Bud Selig or Donald Fehr have done for baseball. BTW, Did you know that Major league umpires don't even have to have vision exams like mandated in other sports.

Deegan said:

As I said, you can never make the game perfect, and mistakes will continue to be made. QUOTE]

You can't make it perfect so why strive for perfection huh? Sounds like someone who does things half-assed. Name one logical thing Bud Selig or Donald Fehr have done for baseball. BTW, Did you know that Major league umpires don't even have to have vision exams like mandated in other sports.

I don't know why you continue to be insulting, this is just my opinion, you did start the topic, and ask the question, were we all to just agree with you?:confused:

The game has over a hundred years of excellence sir, it's survived just fine without technology, and it will continue to survive. I really would just like to see the game remain as untouched, and unchanged as possible, it's just the way I feel about it. You on the other hand, you want a more perfect, more precise game, and that's fine, I just don't think that will improve the game, I think it will hurt the game. It will extend the game unnecessarily, and cause many to loose interest, it's already considered to long, and drawn out to many, this will drive fans away IMO.

There is no instant replay in any sport played in our towns and cities, and they have all managed to continue to excel, and draw interest, it's just part of the game. I see baseball in this way, through a child's eyes, not that of a angry, disgruntled adult, who demands perfection. I guess we are just much different in our views, I'll leave it at that sir.

Now why don't you try and follow my example, and make your case without insults, and illogical comparisons.

Deegan said:
I don't know why you continue to be insulting, this is just my opinion, you did start the topic, and ask the question, were we all to just agree with you?:confused:

The game has over a hundred years of excellence sir, it's survived just fine without technology, and it will continue to survive. I really would just like to see the game remain as untouched, and unchanged as possible, it's just the way I feel about it. You on the other hand, you want a more perfect, more precise game, and that's fine, I just don't think that will improve the game, I think it will hurt the game. It will extend the game unnecessarily, and cause many to loose interest, it's already considered to long, and drawn out to many, this will drive fans away IMO.

There is no instant replay in any sport played in our towns and cities, and they have all managed to continue to excel, and draw interest, it's just part of the game. I see baseball in this way, through a child's eyes, not that of a angry, disgruntled adult, who demands perfection. I guess we are just much different in our views, I'll leave it at that sir.

Now why don't you try and follow my example, and make your case without insults, and illogical comparisons.

I did not intend to insult you. I am sorry that I did. I was trying to make a point that if you don't strive for perfection, you wont get any better. It is called complacency. The game is nowhere near what it was a hundred years ago. Players are bigger, faster, and stonger than they were then (due to technology). You contend that there are not that many plays that get called wrong. Then you say that it will slow the game down. Well, which is it? I am not following that logic. Every play affects the next play in baseball. The fact that the fans can see an ump got the call wrong on a jumbo-tron and the sport refuses to get it right when they have the ability is damaging the sport.

As far as a Child's Eye view, this child didn't like it any better when an ump got a call wrong in my little league games. Maybe I was an "angry, disguntled" child striving for perfection. BTW, what was that about following your example about not insulting right after calling me angry and disgruntled? Also, what "illogical comparison" were you talking about?

Deegan said:
I did not intend to insult you. I am sorry that I did. I was trying to make a point that if you don't strive for perfection, you wont get any better. It is called complacency. The game is nowhere near what it was a hundred years ago. Players are bigger, faster, and stonger than they were then (due to technology). You contend that there are not that many plays that get called wrong. Then you say that it will slow the game down. Well, which is it? I am not following that logic. Every play affects the next play in baseball. The fact that the fans can see an ump got the call wrong on a jumbo-tron and the sport refuses to get it right when they have the ability is damaging the sport.

As far as a Child's Eye view, this child didn't like it any better when an ump got a call wrong in my little league games. Maybe I was an "angry, disguntled" child striving for perfection. BTW, what was that about following your example about not insulting right after calling me angry and disgruntled? Also, what "illogical comparison" were you talking about?

You certainly seem angry, and disgruntled, I really did not think that was presumptious of me, I apologize if it's not the case.

I never said that there were not that many plays that were incorrect, I even expressed my anger about those calls. I said that I have not seen that many calls that cost a team a win or loss. This may just be my experience, but I watch every Cubs game each year, if not at the park, on television. I often see a very different result of bad calls, I usually see a team picked up from their slump, and angry, fight harder then ever. This is a case that often goes either way, but as a fan, I sometimes enjoy the contraversy. I have given you more then enough of my opinions, and concerns, good luck with your mission.;)

Oh, and to the irrational comparisons, i believe in our short conversation, you injected, everything from "cheating" to "slavery", and this brings me to my final point. You seem to be against emotion in this decision, and since you injected slavery, how soon would that have been corrected without emotion being involved? Think on that, then get back to me.;)

Deegan said:
Oh, and to the irrational comparisons, i believe in our short conversation, you injected, everything from "cheating" to "slavery", and this brings me to my final point. You seem to be against emotion in this decision, and since you injected slavery, how soon would that have been corrected without emotion being involved? Think on that, then get back to me.;)

My point with slavery is that longevity doesn't make something right. You could remove all emotional factors from the slavery issue and it is still wrong from a logical point of view. I think that emotions tied to the status quo were the rationalizations for slavery. Slavery has been around as long as we have been recording history. Yes, people needed a sense of outrage about the issue in order to effect change. But that is not why change was needed. It was not because people were mad. It was because slavery was an illogical institution.

Eventhough my StL Cardinals got screwed on a few calls, I voted no on any form of instant replay.

I'm also against the designated hitter rule that they use in the American League...what a wussy league.

The whole definition of baseball begins with something like..."a game played by 9 players on a team..." Not 9 players and a designated hitter.

The designated hitter rule takes much of the intrique away from the game.

Do you leave your pitcher in the game, or do you pinch hit for him when the opportunity arises? Do you risk losing a good starting pitcher for a chance to bring some runs across the plate?

The replay in baseball should not be instituted because it gives the fans who think they got screwed something to hang their hopes of what-if? on.

Back
Top Bottom