• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Infowars

Good4Nothin

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
I just noticed that Infowars was banned, from youtube and many other platforms. So obviously I am not an Alex Jones follower, since he was banned months ago and I only noticed now. But I used to look at it once in a while, because I try to get info from varied sources.

I am not a conspiracy theorist, but I do not think we should reject all conspiracy theories without even knowing anything about them. There usually is at least a tiny bit of truth even in crazy theories.

And I do believe there are forces trying to control all of us. This is not a conspiracy theory -- I don't think any one is consciously conspiring to take over the world. But there are powerful groups who will gladly take any additional power you want to hand them.

Youtube, Facebook, Google, etc., have great power over our information. And I'm sure there are political leaders who are happy to team up with them.

Alex Jones is a crazy maniac, but he did influence the Trump election, and he has been a serious political force, with great masses of followers.

Was Infowars shut down simply because it was a source of "fake news," and because it incited "hatred?" Or was it shut down because the big tech companies tend to bond with the Democrats? Overwhelmingly.

So where will all the Infowars followers go now to get their conspiracy theories? Will Alex Jones just give up? Will other anti-Democrat outlets be shut down also?

To the political elites, we are sheep to be herded. For our own benefit, of course! Before the internet it was much easier. Then heck broke lose and we got Infowars, etc. Have the political elites figured out how to bring back the good old days of censorship?

I just noticed that Infowars was banned, from youtube and many other platforms. So obviously I am not an Alex Jones follower. But I used to look at it once in a while, because I try to get info from varied sources.

I am not a conspiracy theorist, but I do not think we should reject all conspiracy theories without even knowing anything about them. There usually is at least a tiny bit of truth even in crazy theories.

And I do believe there are forces trying to control all of us. This is not a conspiracy theory -- I don't think any one is consciously conspiring to take over the world. But there are powerful groups who will gladly take any additional power you want to hand them.

Youtube, Facebook, Google, etc., have great power over our information. And I'm sure there are political leaders who are happy to team up with them.

Alex Jones is a crazy maniac, but he did influence the Trump election, and he has been a serious political force, with great masses of followers.

Was Infowars shut down simply because it was a source of "fake news," and because it incited "hatred?" Or was it shut down because the big tech companies tend to bond with the Democrats? Overwhelmingly.

So where will all the Infowars followers go now to get their conspiracy theories? Will Alex Jones just give up? Will other anti-Democrat outlets be shut down also?

To the political elites, we are sheep to be herded. For our own benefit, of course! Before the internet it was much easier. Then heck broke lose and we got Infowars, etc. Have the political elites figured out how to bring back the good old days of censorship?

Infowars was kicked off many social media platforms because he accused the Sandy Hook victims of being a false flag. Infowars website is still up and nutters can still see their CT messiah there.

Infowars was kicked off many social media platforms because he accused the Sandy Hook victims of being a false flag. Infowars website is still up and nutters can still see their CT messiah there.

If anyone wanted to fight the Sandy Hook conspiracy theory, all they had to do is dig up evidence proving it's a BS theory. That should be easy. So why censor all of Infowars because of one CT?

I would not be at all surprised to find out there were big political forces involved. Alex Jones probably got Trump many millions of votes. And the Democrats don't want that to happen in 2020. So they called their big tech friends.

Yes, this is my own conspiracy theory. It's an easy way to stop Trump, which they are more than desperate to do.

He was repeatedly violating terms of service. Why should he get a pass?

If anyone wanted to fight the Sandy Hook conspiracy theory, all they had to do is dig up evidence proving it's a BS theory. That should be easy. So why censor all of Infowars because of one CT?

Social media outlets are paid by ADVERTISERS. Just like anything else, some advetisers do not want to be associated with nutters like Infowars and requested they be banned. Infowars also were in violation of the terms of agreement by those social media outlets.

I would not be at all surprised to find out there were big political forces involved. Alex Jones probably got Trump many millions of votes. And the Democrats don't want that to happen in 2020. So they called their big tech friends.

Yes, this is my own conspiracy theory. It's an easy way to stop Trump, which they are more than desperate to do.

Please show how banning Infowars somehow stops Trump by any imagination? Come on man, that's a stretch that even Gumby is going "WTF?!?!".

I just noticed that Infowars was banned, from youtube and many other platforms. So obviously I am not an Alex Jones follower, since he was banned months ago and I only noticed now. But I used to look at it once in a while, because I try to get info from varied sources.

Why would you automatically blame Democrats? Jones harasses ratpublicans too.

You know what? I think you're in cahoots with the elite to turn frogs gay!

Social media outlets are paid by ADVERTISERS. Just like anything else, some advetisers do not want to be associated with nutters like Infowars and requested they be banned.

That makes no sense. Advertisers can simply not advertise on outlets they don't like.

Why would you automatically blame Democrats? Jones harasses ratpublicans too.

You know what? I think you're in cahoots with the elite to turn frogs gay!

Even the gay frog CT had a grain of truth, by the way. Hormones in some river were causing frogs to be hermaphrodites.

They were 'censored' from just one conspiracy theory.

You don't seem aware of the subject.

One has freedom of speech.

No one has the right to use someone else's private platform for that speech.

As others mentioned, Jones repeatedly violated term of service.

YouTube is under no obligation to cater Jones’ slander.

That makes no sense. Advertisers can simply not advertise on outlets they don't like.

Why did you skip over the other reason which is Infowars violated the social media sites Terms of Service?

Even the gay frog CT had a grain of truth, by the way. Hormones in some river were causing frogs to be hermaphrodites.

gay = hermaphrodites?

No. No grain of truth. Jones is trash. Having said that, I don't want anyone's free speech threatened, I just wouldn't use your arguments to defend Alex Jones - claiming there's any "truth" to what he says. Not a good idea, Miss.

Or the social media sites can ****can the problem child, which they did.

There is no way to defend Alex Jones on this and not be a CT nutter
l

That is exactly the point.

Certain sites chose ad revenue over CTs.

:shrug:

I'm sure Infowars had plenty of advertisers. That is NOT why it was banned.

They were 'censored' from just one conspiracy theory.

You don't seem aware of the subject.

Of course I'm aware of it. So what? People got offended by a crazy story that almost everyone except extreme gun nuts knew was crazy.

Alex Jones would have been fun to punch out in a bar back in my rowdy days.

He's a pig.

So you want to ban all pigs from social media I guess.

One has freedom of speech.

No one has the right to use someone else's private platform for that speech.

Things are more complicated now. It's like if three giant companies owned all the roads in the world. And if one of those companies doesn't like you, you can't use any roads anywhere.

Infowars wasn't shut down.

Platforms can choose to carry or not carry whatever content they want. I prefer to think of censorship as the threat of legal consequences for speaking or writing about certain topics. Platforms choosing not to carry Infowars based on content is not censorship.

The free market should provide, at least in theory, some protection against big tech companies "controlling the narrative" in order to further their own agenda. I do not argue that there isn't some small amount of attempted psychological manipulation going on, but the bottom line is: If enough people wanted to consume Infowars content, then a platform would arise that carried it and it would become more successful than the ones who don't. The free market is the antidote to the kind of political manipulation you are worried about.

Things are more complicated now. It's like if three giant companies owned all the roads in the world. And if one of those companies doesn't like you, you can't use any roads anywhere.

It isn't complicated at all.

The services they offer are free to the user.

No one has a right to someone else's private platform.

But if enough people were unhappy with this situation, then they could start a fourth company and start building their own roads and using them exclusively. Without people using their roads, the giant companies would start to shrink and the people's company would grow. The giant companies are still at the mercy of the people.

But if enough people were unhappy with this situation, then they could start a fourth company and start building their own roads and using them exclusively. Without people using their roads, the giant companies would start to shrink and the people's company would grow. The giant companies are still at the mercy of the people.

I hope you're right. But it's not that easy.

Back
Top Bottom