• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Information from Gitmo detainees led to bin Laden's death

Kernel Sanders

Norville Rogers
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
NYT and MSNBC are both reporting that information gained from Gitmo detainees about a courier of bin Laden's was the key to locating him. Does this change anybody's mind about the value of Guantánamo Bay? It always seemed to me to be a spring of anti-American sentiment with little actionable value. Now that the stated goal of the War on Terror has been achieved through work done there I've had to reevaluate that opinion. What say you, DP?

NYT and MSNBC are both reporting that information gained from Gitmo detainees about a courier of bin Laden's was the key to locating him. Does this change anybody's mind about the value of Guantánamo Bay? It always seemed to me to be a spring of anti-American sentiment with little actionable value. Now that the stated goal of the War on Terror has been achieved through work done there I've had to reevaluate that opinion. What say you, DP?

My personal take:

1) I've never been for the closing of Guantanamo prison at Camp Delta. What I HAVE been against is the indefinite holding of many of those individuals without a trial or due process. And also against the use of torture in interrogations.

2) The stated goal of the War on Terror is a hell of a lot broader than just killing or capturing Osama bin Laden. It's not over by a long shot.

Did the information come from someone who was tortured for that information? Did the information come from someone who they couldn't have brought to trial?

My personal take:

1) I've never been for the closing of Guantanamo prison at Camp Delta. What I HAVE been against is the indefinite holding of many of those individuals without a trial or due process. And also against the use of torture in interrogations.

2) The stated goal of the War on Terror is a hell of a lot broader than just killing or capturing Osama bin Laden. It's not over by a long shot.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Obama previously said that bin Laden was goal #1 of the WOT?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Obama previously said that bin Laden was goal #1 of the WOT?

You might be right.

But in all honesty, I don't know and I don't care. In REALITY the WOT is about a whole lot more than just Osama, and it's been that way for the past couple of years has OBL has become more and more irrelevant. Nevertheless catching him serves as a good morale boost.

Back
Top Bottom