• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Influential Politicians

Who is the most influential current politician?

• George W. Bush, President

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Condi Rice, Sec. of State

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Bill Frist, Senator Tenn.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Barack Obama, Senator Ill.

• Hillary Clinton, Senator New York

• Ted Kennedy, Senator Mass.

• John McCain, Senator Ariz.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Howard Dean, Chairman DNC

• Arnold Schwartzenegger(forgive spelling), Gov. Cal.

• Other (I couldn't list a lot)

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters

pwo

Reaction score
People Magazine has just came out with their list of the 100 most influential people, their was 5 politicians on the list: Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, Condeleeza Rice, Bill Frist, and Barack Obama. So, who do you guys think is the most influential poltician in america today. By influential, I mean inspiring or just a great leader that changes the way people think. I want current ones so no Clinton, Bush 41, Carter, etc.

By influencial, I guess I take that to mean as a washington politician. I see John McCain as the person that has the most power on that list in both respect from both sides of the isle (which I feel is more important than just the office) and ability to both get legislation for his state passed and party goals as well. This respect and admiration that both sides of the aisle feel for him is more important than being able to ride on Air Force one, who was obviously the easiest choice on this list and the copout choice.

I voted for Bush in this poll for currently serving U.S. politicians. It's part of the position of the president to set course for the agenda and influence congress, courts, special interests, and national and global citizenry. And whether one agrees or disagrees with the course he's set forth, his influence is definitely far reaching.

:yt ditto to that.

I voted Bush as well.

I voted for "Condi Rice", true that George Bush is the biggest influence in the United States but I believe since Condi is great at foreign affairs (so far) that she has the largest reaches of impressions and influence. Other countries would rather talk with Condi because it is less formal and usually tends to get things done. I'd imagine whenever a country is asked to meet with George they say "Oh geez.. who'd I kill this time.."

shuamort said:
I voted for Bush in this poll for currently serving U.S. politicians. It's part of the position of the president to set course for the agenda and influence congress, courts, special interests, and national and global citizenry. And whether one agrees or disagrees with the course he's set forth, his influence is definitely far reaching.
If you want to go to who is listened to more it sure isn't president bush with his extremely dipping numbers. The people of this country listen to those who have a lot less bias than do the top official of this nation. Bill was able to bridge that gap effectively, but this president since 9-11 has not been able to because of the domestic policy he has tried to set.

ShamMol said:
If you want to go to who is listened to more it sure isn't president bush with his extremely dipping numbers. The people of this country listen to those who have a lot less bias than do the top official of this nation. Bill was able to bridge that gap effectively, but this president since 9-11 has not been able to because of the domestic policy he has tried to set.
Sure his numbers are dipping, but in the same fold, although McCain is bi-popular (friendly with both sides of the political spectrum), is he really that influential?

shuamort said:
Sure his numbers are dipping, but in the same fold, although McCain is bi-popular (friendly with both sides of the political spectrum), is he really that influential?

IMO, yes he is. there is a reason that both sides respect and listen to him-its because as you said, he is bi-popular and respected as a straight talker who doesn't waiver from his opinions for political expediency and trys to come up with compromise so that there is not battel in the senate. in politics itself, i consider him the most influencial, but if you go in public perception, i guess you could make the case taht he was not as influencial.

I found myself voting other. I see Kofi Annan as the most influential politician in power currently. Yes, Bush is a strong second, but Annan influences the policy of the UN which is an entity that has the power to push more countries one way or another then the US does. Don't get me wrong, the US has a lot of international....we'll just say leverage. And yes, the US does push the UN a little bit, but the overall course set my Annan I think weighs out the highest. If you asked me a month ago, I would have said that pope.

I of course choose bush. He won the election and he sets the agenda. Before he talked about it, not to many people knew how big the problem was with social security, or even what the problem was, or even that their was a problem. As president bush gets the most media coverage, so he is able to get he messages out.

However, I was tempted to chose Condi Rice. I think see will be the most influential politician in a couple of years. A black republican women running for prez.? We will denfinatley hear more from her.

Kofi Annan was a good choice but I wanted american politicians. Their were many world leaders on the list also.

I expect their to be a lot of others, because there are so many people that could be named. I didn't even list John Kerry. Sorry.

pwo said:
I of course choose bush. He won the election and he sets the agenda. Before he talked about it, not to many people knew how big the problem was with social security, or even what the problem was, or even that their was a problem. As president bush gets the most media coverage, so he is able to get he messages out.

However, I was tempted to chose Condi Rice. I think see will be the most influential politician in a couple of years. A black republican women running for prez.? We will denfinatley hear more from her.

Kofi Annan was a good choice but I wanted american politicians. Their were many world leaders on the list also.

I expect their to be a lot of others, because there are so many people that could be named. I didn't even list John Kerry. Sorry.

And how many are listening on social security? answer-not many. he may be able to get his messages out, but his approval ratings have dipped below 50% and people are just starting to tune him out because they see him as the extreme right-winger he hid from the world.

ShamMol said:
What is known about the apparent popularity of President Bush is what is disseminated by the media, which as the whole world knows, is not enamored of him. The reality, of course, is that he was returned to the White House for a second term.

With respect to his domestic policy, economic growth is setting new records while at the same time every taxpayer has had his taxes reduced twice.

Polls always reflect the wishes of those who pay to have them commissioned so that they can publish or broadcast the results as the pulse of the population.

Fantasea said:
Polls always reflect the wishes of those who pay to have them commissioned so that they can publish or broadcast the results as the pulse of the population.
Prove it. Prove that they ALWAYS reflect the wishes.

ShamMol said:
IMO, yes he is. there is a reason that both sides respect and listen to him-its because as you said, he is bi-popular and respected as a straight talker who doesn't waiver from his opinions for political expediency and trys to come up with compromise so that there is not battel in the senate. in politics itself, i consider him the most influencial, but if you go in public perception, i guess you could make the case taht he was not as influencial.
When the Democratic controlled things, they understood that compromise would have meant permitting the minority Republicans to neuter Democratic actions; something which they would not allow.

If only the Republicans would learn that lesson.

Fantasea said:
What is known about the apparent popularity of President Bush is what is disseminated by the media, which as the whole world knows, is not enamored of him. The reality, of course, is that he was returned to the White House for a second term.

With respect to his domestic policy, economic growth is setting new records while at the same time every taxpayer has had his taxes reduced twice.

Wow, the liberal media thing again...please please please....the fact that he was returned is great for you to trot out, but the fact remains that less than half the country likes him, therefore, it can be implied that half the country won't listen to him. Great for economic growth, reminds me of clinton, but the fact remains that the government is running a deficit which will soon have to start being paid off-the solution is not to cut more taxes and increase the deficit more, it is to slowly raise taxes to pay for the ludicrous amount of programs this president wants.

Yeah, the pew reasearch center is biased, i forgot, i learn new things about it each day...please, that is respected by both sides of the isle as the best and most fair source of polling out there.

fantasea said:
When the Democratic controlled things, they understood that compromise would have meant permitting the minority Republicans to neuter Democratic actions; something which they would not allow.

too true, but instead they are playing their power hand by threatening to impeach judges who interpret the constitution the right way...

Fantasea said:

Dude, that is one of those conservative groups that are biased...gallup is not, trust them which have president bush's approval at 45%. and ironically..."The new poll found the largest drop for Bush came among men, self-described conservatives and churchgoers."

ShamMol said:
Originally Posted by Fantasea

Wow, the liberal media thing again...please please please....the fact that he was returned is great for you to trot out, but the fact remains that less than half the country likes him, therefore, it can be implied that half the country won't listen to him. Great for economic growth, reminds me of clinton, but the fact remains that the government is running a deficit which will soon have to start being paid off-the solution is not to cut more taxes and increase the deficit more, it is to slowly raise taxes to pay for the ludicrous amount of programs this president wants.

Yeah, the pew reasearch center is biased, i forgot, i learn new things about it each day...please, that is respected by both sides of the isle as the best and most fair source of polling out there.
Leave it to you to, once again, grab the wrong end of the stick. Pew is an independent organization that is not available for commissioned polls. Now re-read my comment to which you incorrectly responded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasea

too true, but instead they are playing their power hand by threatening to impeach judges who interpret the constitution the right way...
So then, when the Democrats exercised their power of majority, it was OK. However, now that the Republicans are in the majority, they should still let the Democrats exercise the power of majority. Is that correct?

ShamMol said:
Dude, that is one of those conservative groups that are biased...gallup is not, trust them which have president bush's approval at 45%. and ironically..."The new poll found the largest drop for Bush came among men, self-described conservatives and churchgoers."
Who commissioned the poll to which you refer?

Bear in mind that thousands of polls are conducted. However, the results of very few are ever released to the public. And even these are "polished".

Why would it be that polls which are commissioned and paid for are never released? Could it be that the results were not desirable?

Fantasea said:

Bear in mind that thousands of polls are conducted. However, the results of very few are ever released to the public. And even these are "polished".

Why would it be that polls which are commissioned and paid for are never released? Could it be that the results were not desirable?

first off, why would you use commissioned polls, the public polls done by gallup (as i said this one was) are reliable and used by everyone (dems, repubs, indies).

Fantasea said:
So then, when the Democrats exercised their power of majority, it was OK. However, now that the Republicans are in the majority, they should still let the Democrats exercise the power of majority. Is that correct?

i don't even think i get what you are saying...but lets try this...

when dems had control, they didn't try to eliminate the fillibuster (in fact they quite the opposite-allowed it to be used by the repubs). when the dems had control, they didn't preach that the judges were activists who went against them (there are both liberal and conservative activist judges-realize that). in fact, when the repubs regained control when clinton was in office they did other stuff in addition to the fillibuster to hold up judges (take judge morrow who i just wrote a paper on)-they held her up for 3 years by making her answer questions irrelevant to the process, they made her go through countless hearings (all of which they are now saying should be dropped for a direct up or down vote now). questionable, eh?

Of course Bush is the most influential but it doesn't make him my choice. I value freedom far more than having a leader with influence.

My agenda is for a limited government to allow us all the same choices we have been able to make since the country became a nation. I tend to be more libertarian in my desires but can't seem to locate a LP leader. I was a Republican for 40 years but gave it up when I saw too large a government over us all.

Still searching for a Fiscal Conservative for POTUS. They are out of style at this time so I will have to wait.

Urethra Franklin said:
Ronald McDonald
Oprah Winfrey
Jenny Craig
Ok, I'll buy that Ronald McDonald is rapidly becoming the most recognizable US envoy to the world (new restaurant opens somewhere every 8 hours). And I won't argue that Oprah is anything but influential, a whole lot of people watch her show every day. But are you implying that a nation where 60% of the people are at least somewhat obese that Jenny Craig is influential? ;-)

On another note, I don't think that one can rely on polls to determine influence. I think that one should watch not just the mass media for clues, but read journals on policy, defense and medicine. These are the areas where one can see if a person is influencing the world. The fact is, you can not assume that a democracy composed of 220 million people will be influenced proportionally to 1001, or however many the sample group was composed, as a poll claims. I'm sorry, but I see pollsters, psychics, weather forcastors, and economists as all being in the same group as far as reliability definitive results go.

ShamMol said:
Originally Posted by Fantasea

first off, why would you use commissioned polls, the public polls done by gallup (as i said this one was) are reliable and used by everyone (dems, repubs, indies).
Gallup is not an independent. Anyone who is willing to pay the bill can hire the Gallup organization to conduct a poll of any length, of any population segment, on any subject.

Gallup is commissioned to conduct thousands of polls each year. The list of poll questions are usually quite lengthy so as to cover all eventualities specified by the commissioner. The results are delivered to the commissioner. The commissioner may or may not release the results. When the commissioner chooses to release the results, said results may be released in whole or in part, in any format that the commissioner decides. After all, the information has been bought and paid for by the commissioner who is entitled to use it any way he wishes.

The inside joke among pollsters is that they can formulate a set of questions to which a target group will all answer in the affirmative, adjust the questions slightly, go back to the exact list of respondents who will then all answer in the negative.

You're a bright guy, you could do it in just a few minutes, couldn't you?

If one seeks to validate a particular point on a particular subject, what better way than to commission a poll which includes a broad enough variety of questions so that all bases will be touched from all directions? When the results come in, simply cherry pick whatever does the job for you and discard the rest.

Back
Top Bottom