• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Influential Politicians

Who is the most influential current politician?

• George W. Bush, President

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Condi Rice, Sec. of State

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Bill Frist, Senator Tenn.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Barack Obama, Senator Ill.

• Hillary Clinton, Senator New York

• Ted Kennedy, Senator Mass.

• John McCain, Senator Ariz.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Howard Dean, Chairman DNC

• Arnold Schwartzenegger(forgive spelling), Gov. Cal.

• Other (I couldn't list a lot)

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters
RightatNYU said:
My point isn't that Gallup is either on the left or the right, but rather that surveys are notoriously unreliable. The wording of a question, whether or not is is intentionally worded the way it is, affects the outcome of the survey. So does what days of the week the survey is conducted. So does the time of the survey, and the historical context.

I'm not saying gallup is unfair, just that no matter how hard any organization tries, its difficult to get an accurate sample
But you would say that Gallup is generally considered the most reliable by the print media, the public, the tv media, everyone? right? it is usually considered reliable, correct?

ShamMol said:
But you would say that Gallup is generally considered the most reliable by the print media, the public, the tv media, everyone? right? it is usually considered reliable, correct?

Yes, by the standards of polling, Gallup is one of the most reliable, although Rasmussen, Zogby, Marist College, Ipsos, and Pew are reliable too. It's basically impossible to claim one organization as more reliable than the others, because they consistently change their polling methods. For example, Rasmussen, in the 2004 cycle, did 3 day rolling averages, a new approach which turned out to be very accurate.

It'd be good to remember that in the 2004 election polling, of the 14 major polls, Gallup was the 4th worst in accuracy of results. Pew, TIPP, and CBS topped the list.

I don't see how any politician could have more influence then the President. You can like him or loathe him. He still holds the most powerful office in the nation, arguably the world, I think that in and of it’s self makes him the most influential.

I also wouldn’t put too much value in polls showing his decline in popularity. Almost every President serving more then one term has suffered low numbers in beginning of the second. He’ll be back. He’s the Teflon politician. He got a great spin machine, nothing negative sticks to him. I’ll bet his numbers are back above 60% by March 2006.

RightatNYU said:
Yes, by the standards of polling, Gallup is one of the most reliable, although Rasmussen, Zogby, Marist College, Ipsos, and Pew are reliable too. It's basically impossible to claim one organization as more reliable than the others, because they consistently change their polling methods. For example, Rasmussen, in the 2004 cycle, did 3 day rolling averages, a new approach which turned out to be very accurate.

It'd be good to remember that in the 2004 election polling, of the 14 major polls, Gallup was the 4th worst in accuracy of results. Pew, TIPP, and CBS topped the list.
True, that is why I always look at all of them, but I usually find that pew is closest to the center of all of those and usually more accurate, just what I have seen-personal opinion.

I just looked up the Rasmussen rolling averages-very interesting indeed. I found it intersting that predicted it much better and is something that others hsould look at.

Polling statistics and Biblical passages have one thing in common. All else aside, whoever quotes either for a purpose has the intent of influencing the behavior of someone else.

Agree?

Disagree?

(That's a poll.)

Fantasea said:
Polling statistics and Biblical passages have one thing in common. All else aside, whoever quotes either for a purpose has the intent of influencing the behavior of someone else.

Agree?

Disagree?

(That's a poll.)

You're going to use our answers for the purpose of influencing our behaviour!

bastard.

=D

RightatNYU said:
Originally Posted by Fantasea

Agree?

Disagree?

(That's a poll.)

You're going to use our answers for the purpose of influencing our behaviour!

bastard.
Only if I can collect a statistically significant sampling. :lol:

Fantasea said:
Maybe so. But, do you disagree?
the point is not whether i care or not, not whether i agree or disagree. take a guess.

ShamMol said:
the point is not whether i care or not, not whether i agree or disagree. take a guess.
A choice involves a positive and a negative. You gave me two negatives. How am I to choose?

In any event, I don't think you cared for my 'poll'.

Back
Top Bottom