• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Infections linked to huge Sturgis motorcycle rally are spreading

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/08/21/coronavirus-covid-live-updates-us/

As Europe experiences a resurgence of coronavirus cases that appears to be driven primarily by young people, health authorities worry that crowded house parties could become super-spreader events for thousands of returning college students. On Thursday, Purdue University suspended 36 people who attended an off-campus party, officials at Syracuse University warned that a massive gathering “may have done damage enough to shut down campus,” and North Carolina State University switched to online learning amid an eruption of infections.

Here are some significant developments:

Postmaster General Louis DeJoy is testifying before a Senate committee on Friday morning. He insisted that the post office will be able to handle millions of absentee ballots for November’s election, despite a funding crisis, ongoing delivery delays and President Trump’s open hostility toward voting by mail.

There is little evidence to suggest secondhand cigarette smoke could be carrying the coronavirus, but researchers and physicians say that merely being able to smell it is a warning sign you’re breathing air that was just in someone else’s lungs.

The Trump administration blocked the Food and Drug Administration from regulating a broad swath of laboratory tests, including those used to detect the coronavirus.

At least seven cases of the novel coronavirus linked to the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally have been found in Nebraska, health officials said Thursday, according to the Scottsbluff Star-Herald.

Health officials in Collin County, Tex., announced that they have “no confidence” in the state’s coronavirus-tracking data after coding issues led to a backlog that made it look like cases were surging.
=========================================================================
I knew that the Sturgis rally would be a super spreader event, just like the college parties that are effectively closing down the schools.

At least 41 schools in Berlin have reported coronavirus cases among students or staff, less than two weeks after classes there fully resumed Aug. 10, officials confirmed to the Berliner Zeitung newspaper on Thursday.

It’s really too bad trump supporters are getting COVID on purpose, that they pass it on to fellow workers, that they pass it on to their own families, that they pass it on to their friends, and that they pass it on to essential workers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/08/21/coronavirus-covid-live-updates-us/

As Europe experiences a resurgence of coronavirus cases that appears to be driven primarily by young people, health authorities worry that crowded house parties could become super-spreader events for thousands of returning college students. On Thursday, Purdue University suspended 36 people who attended an off-campus party, officials at Syracuse University warned that a massive gathering “may have done damage enough to shut down campus,” and North Carolina State University switched to online learning amid an eruption of infections.

Postmaster General Louis DeJoy is testifying before a Senate committee on Friday morning. He insisted that the post office will be able to handle millions of absentee ballots for November’s election, despite a funding crisis, ongoing delivery delays and President Trump’s open hostility toward voting by mail.

There is little evidence to suggest secondhand cigarette smoke could be carrying the coronavirus, but researchers and physicians say that merely being able to smell it is a warning sign you’re breathing air that was just in someone else’s lungs.

The Trump administration blocked the Food and Drug Administration from regulating a broad swath of laboratory tests, including those used to detect the coronavirus.

At least seven cases of the novel coronavirus linked to the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally have been found in Nebraska, health officials said Thursday, according to the Scottsbluff Star-Herald.

Health officials in Collin County, Tex., announced that they have “no confidence” in the state’s coronavirus-tracking data after coding issues led to a backlog that made it look like cases were surging.
I knew that the Sturgis rally would be a super spreader event, just like the college parties that are effectively closing down the schools.

At least 41 schools in Berlin have reported coronavirus cases among students or staff, less than two weeks after classes there fully resumed Aug. 10, officials confirmed to the Berliner Zeitung newspaper on Thursday.

Given some of the reports of crowded bars and the like, I didn't doubt there would be fallout from this event. The question for me is how big of an impact this would make on the infection numbers since many of the people who go to Sturgis are from out of state. We'll see soon enough, though I hope it won't be too bad.

The reported cases were in Nebraska.

Meanwhile, California imposed a mask mandate on June 18th and two months later things are worse than they were on June 18th.

Meanwhile, California imposed a mask mandate on June 18th and two months later things are worse than they were on June 18th.

You can MANDATE anything you want but IF you don't enforce that mandate and make sure people do what is Mandated then it doesn't matter
Have a nice afternoon

I bet there have been more than 7 cases of C19 caused by the super spreader protests/riots.

Or did I miss that thread?

I bet there have been more than 7 cases of C19 caused by the super spreader protests/riots.

Or did I miss that thread?

Wrong thread, as usual. Constant deflection and distraction with something you can’t tell me is happening at this PMA — Present Moment of Awareness.

But hey, cheer on the four super-spreaders trump had on Monday, one on Tuesday, and his insane rant yesterday in PA.

trump is crossing the Rubicon next week.

7 cases linked to the motorcycle rally. Since 14 bikers showed up to Sturgis that week, this represents an infection rate of 50%.

Oh wait - the media didn't tell us how many bikers were there.

7 cases linked to the motorcycle rally. Since 14 bikers showed up to Sturgis that week, this represents an infection rate of 50%.

It was a huge rally stated right in the article.

Most people are not going to think 14 bikers is a huge rally

Damn. If only they had held a protest sometime during the rally, they'd have been fine.

Unless a tracing program was set up to check a statistically significant percent of those who attended the rally, there's no way of knowing how much spreading of the disease occurred. There may be all manner of conjecture, but it is simply that: conjecture. [Ed.: Some of it isn't even conjecture, but downright nonsense.]

Regards, stay safe 'n well. Remember the Big 3: masks, hand washing and physical distancing.

the event should have been canceled by regional authorities and then canceled again by the regional authorities of wherever they tried to move it to. my response to the 500 incoming "what abouts" :

do not gather in crowds during a pandemic.

please refer to this if you have any questions. it will save us both time, or at least me.

i am a motorcycle enthusiast, though i don't ride much anymore. my former band played more motorcycle-related events than i can count. i have nothing against bikers, and it's quite the opposite. the organizers of this event made a really big mistake here, and it won't just affect those who attended.

It’s really too bad trump supporters are getting COVID on purpose, that they pass it on to fellow workers, that they pass it on to their own families, that they pass it on to their friends, and that they pass it on to essential workers.

I wonder is a Trump supporter can sign a ballot while on a ventilator?

the event should have been canceled by regional authorities and then canceled again by the regional authorities of wherever they tried to move it to. my response to the 500 incoming "what abouts" :

do not gather in crowds during a pandemic.

please refer to this if you have any questions. it will save us both time, or at least me.

i am a motorcycle enthusiast, though i don't ride much anymore. my former band played more motorcycle-related events than i can count. i have nothing against bikers, and it's quite the opposite. the organizers of this event made a really big mistake here, and it won't just affect those who attended.

You can blame that one on the supposed 'good looking' governor. She the one who made up a model of Mt. Rushmore with Trumps head added and gifted it to Trump.

You can blame that one on the supposed 'good looking' governor. She the one who made up a model of Mt. Rushmore with Trumps head added and gifted it to Trump.

oh, did the governor encourage it? that's sad.

Unless a tracing program was set up to check a statistically significant percent of those who attended the rally, there's no way of knowing how much spreading of the disease occurred. There may be all manner of conjecture, but it is simply that: conjecture. [Ed.: Some of it isn't even conjecture, but downright nonsense.]

Regards, stay safe 'n well. Remember the Big 3: masks, hand washing and physical distancing.

It will be kind of hard to tell since the thousands came from all over the US. Clearly the attendees were taking no precautions. Were the townies taking any precautions?

You can blame that one on the supposed 'good looking' governor...

Who is the poster here that talked about the "good looking governor"? As if that played into the Sturgis decision.

It will be kind of hard to tell since the thousands came from all over the US. Clearly the attendees were taking no precautions. Were the townies taking any precautions?

Hi!

I would think that the townspeople included some who kept a low profile and others who mixed in with the attendees. I seriously doubt that they could be characterized as all doing this or that.

Regards, stay safe 'n well.

Hi!

I would think that the townspeople included some who kept a low profile and others who mixed in with the attendees. I seriously doubt that they could be characterized as all doing this or that.

Regards, stay safe 'n well.

The global pandemic began with ONE person. What's your point?

Back
Top Bottom