• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Infant Found Dead At Winston-Salem Planned Parenthood

That meant why wouldn't the state or real people (meaning not brain dead people) be able to do what they wished with the brain dead person who is not a person. However, contrary to your stance on the issue, it is still very much illegal to molest a comatose person (as it should be). So, then, why is the person hood argument applied differently in this case than in the case of the fetus?

Because our laws are inconsistent. This is no grand revelation. Lots of our laws are ****ing stupid.

Because our laws are inconsistent. This is no grand revelation. Lots of our laws are ****ing stupid.

So, you're saying that it should be OK (or at least perfectly legal) to molest a comatose person?

I'd rather you stay out of my business should I wind up in a persistent vegetative state. And my odds of being in a PVS are a lot higher than most. I do not want to be Terri Schivoed.

according to the prevailing arguement here...should you end up in a PVS you will have no business to mind, because you won't be a person any more

according to the prevailing arguement here...should you end up in a PVS you will have no business to mind, because you won't be a person any more

Good so then you will have nothing to care about TYVMIA

I don't know why, but revealing my identity to you doesn't seem like a bright idea......

So, in other words, it simply didn't happen. Why do people with weak to zero rational arguments pretend to speak for more than themselves so often?

Last edited:
That's a good article and it seems to support many of both our positions. The parts I find most interesting are the admissions that no one knows much about consciousness but that it's assumed there are flashes of consciousness leading up to full consciousness. Of course it does clearly state that full consciousness can not be achieved until the full development of the Cortex and attachment of the CNS. I've not really argued against that, and it doesn't directly affect what I think is relevant to person hood. At least not entirely so.

It's a really good summary where both sides can find points to strengthen their convinctions. I defintely think that the 24 week abortion limit should be lowered in those few countries where it's legal. I think it's just in the US, the UK and one of the Scandinavian countries, Finland if I'm not mistaken. I don't really understand why it's still allowed that late in the prgnancy, given what we know about viability and fetal brain development. The UK contemplated lowering it and it was discussed in Parliament last year or the year before that, I forget. They decided to leave it as is, though. The good news is that most elective abortions take place in the first two months, but still...

So, in other words, it simply didn't happen. Why do people with weak to zero rational arguments pretend to speak for more than themselves so often?

Because they don't feel powerful enough in and of themselves. So they represent "others".

Why do people with weak to no rational anything attack the poster instead of the ideas? I'm certainly no elected official if that's what you are trying to get at.

Because they don't feel powerful enough in and of themselves. So they represent "others".

Is this and your last post indicitive of the high road you claim to travel?

It's a really good summary where both sides can find points to strengthen their convinctions. I defintely think that the 24 week abortion limit should be lowered in those few countries where it's legal. I think it's just in the US, the UK and one of the Scandinavian countries, Finland if I'm not mistaken. I don't really understand why it's still allowed that late in the prgnancy, given what we know about viability and fetal brain development. The UK contemplated lowering it and it was discussed in Parliament last year or the year before that, I forget. They decided to leave it as is, though. The good news is that most elective abortions take place in the first two months, but still...

I guess that's good news, but I'd rather see those that are so concerned with rights be as concerned with educating people on birth control so as to reduce that even further.

I guess that's good news, but I'd rather see those that are so concerned with rights be as concerned with educating people on birth control so as to reduce that even further.

Most pro-choicers are all for sex-ed in schools, etc. It's generally the "other side" that wants to stiffle such education. Hell, even some anti-choicers are against birth control altogether. Some for religious reasons, and some are against only hormonal birth control since it can "murder innocent babies".

Most pro-choicers are all for sex-ed in schools, etc. It's generally the "other side" that wants to stiffle such education. Hell, even some anti-choicers are against birth control altogether. Some for religious reasons, and some are against only hormonal birth control since it can "murder innocent babies".

I don't deny that (except your mislabeling pro-lifers, of course) I'm trying to work on that too. But, I don't see the pro-choice (pro-abortion) side making any more headway on that either.

(except your mislabeling pro-lifers, of course) .... (pro-abortion).

:lol:

images

I'm actually more concerned with that than I am with the abortion issue. I think sex ed and free birth control for minors should be the norm everywhere, with or without parental consent. As for adults, there should be free clinics in every neighborhood that can provide free or lowcost birth control and free medical advice to those who can't afford it. The problem with many pro-life people is that they're as much against BC as they are against abortion. The only acceptable way to go for them is abstinence which is the most stupidly unrealistic and potentially damaging solution they could come up with. They're never going to bring abortion numbers down with this kind of mentality.

Yeah, that was intentional. I don't usually say pro-abortion, I did that just for rivr.

Ahh, if it was intentional, than good show old bean :mrgreen:

You had me laughing pretty hard :)

Why do people with weak to no rational anything attack the poster instead of the ideas? I'm certainly no elected official if that's what you are trying to get at.

I'm sorry that you fail to comprehend " what you (I am) are trying to get at," let me clarify. I'm asking by what authority is it that you presume to speak for anyone, let alone "most of us?" It's a common tactic used by those who's argument is too weak to stand on it's own.

Back
Top Bottom